Supercharge the Z or...

rjohnson1993

All,

The time has come for me to decide my future with the Z, and its a tough decision to say the least!

I am looking for better performance, I want more. specifically acceleration, not just from standing but once rolling (legal speeds on public road obviously, and some track use).

Now here are my options...

S/C my Z which I know is expensive but I'll get on to that in a bit, or...

buy a different car, likely to be an impreza (Hawkeye or hatch)

Now to justify why I would boost the Z:

The looks - I can't get enough of the car and how it looks

The car - I love it just wish it was faster

not as mainstream - Scoobs are popular, even my dad has one.

Now to justify the scoob:

Performance: probably easier to make quicker for less plus Awd

in the family: dad knows all there is to know about imprezas

cost: May work out cheaper than boosting the Z

I know the impreza I'm looking for has a poor engine, I'd buy a forged one or have enough to get it forged after buying, my dad's is forged so I know what's what etc.

Question is what do I do? The impreza would be a weapon, driven my dad's running 350/380 and its insane fun, would the zed with similar/more power be as fun/fast??

Help guys!

I have had an Impreza. Great car but just didn't feel like it would be up to much on a track unless I spent a fortune on handling mods. Bigger turbos, bigger brakes etc etc. The Z from standard feels like to was designed for the track. The way it handles and sits. The Impreza feels like a bit of a compromise for the road unless it was a special edition one. P1, WR1 or RB320? Which model are you looking at?

As above, two very different cars, pluses to both I am sure but its what you want to get out of it other than just power? Rear wheel fun or all wheel grip?

Being an ex-owner of a bog standard VX220 in reference to the first response - if you are after raw driving bonkers fun then its not all about numbers, these cars are as close to a track going race car as you can get for that money in terms of handling and performance - lots of supercharged VX220 conversions out there which are brutally fast - every petrol-head should at some point or another own a VX or Elise :thumbs:

• Like 1