46" lcd telly

stuey

I would go plasma rather than LCD. Better definition and black levels

Plasma still run by gas so can have problems hence why Government are going to ban plasmas cos they soak up too much energy. Although I agree quality is better on contrast but LCD is catching up B)

Samsung F87/M87 is the way to go. Much cheaper than the Sony (usually) and marginal difference in features/quality - you pay more for the Sony name. Black levels on these newer models are bodering in Plasma levels. I just got the 47" version and its rather impressive.

Try www.beyondtelevision.co.uk/ for some of the best deals around. Dixons/Comet/Currys wont come anywhere near their prices. :)

I would go plasma rather than LCD. Better definition and black levels

Plasma still run by gas so can have problems hence why Government are going to ban plasmas cos they soak up too much energy. Although I agree quality is better on contrast but LCD is catching up B)

I dont think plasma's will be banned that was mentioned by some eco group, but hey we are zed owners will they ban zed's because they use up too much energy?

I have done much research into the lcd/plasma debate and in the end it was plasma for me, especially as more models are becoming full hd ready now. Yes it is true that the plasma sets use a bit more juice but not that much. Also what do you intend to watch on it, fast moving pictures like sport then plasma is better. Plasma also shows more colours than lcd. Dont get me wrong some of the lcd sets i looked at are great and its also interesting to note that Sony only produce lcd and dont make a plasma screen. But at the end of the day my conclusion as with most expert opinion was that Panasonic plasma's are really the Rolls Royce of the flat panel world.

Buy a plasma stuey you will not be dissapointed. And a Panasonic one too. B)

PLASMA and LCD - the FACTS

When it comes to finding out more about plasma and LCD, there are a number of myths out there that can be confusing. Here, Panasonic responds to some misconceptions and offers new information.

How do I choose between Plasma and LCD?

Size matters when it comes to making a choice. LCD is at its optimum performance up to and including 32", whilst plasma offers optimum performance at 37" and above. Panasonic Viera Plasma TV is currently the UK's Nr1 best-selling large screen TV. (see our chart below to help you make a choice).

Which is more energy efficient, Plasma or LCD?

The energy consumption of both is actually about the same in normal operating conditions. An LCD screen consumption is constant whereas with Plasma it fluctuates according to the brightness of a scene, eg when a scene is predominantly dark , a Plasma will use less energy. All in all the energy efficiency evens out for Plasma and LCD.

A popular Plasma myths dispelled

Does Flat Panel TV need re-gasing? No. Plasma gases are inert and sealed within tiny cells that are sandwiched between glass plates. There is never any need to re-charge or refill the Plasma.

Which technology has the longer life span Plasma or LCD?

The life span for both is dependent on viewing habits, but if both are watched for the same duration, one would expect the life span to be approximately the same, 60 000 hours, roughly twice the life span of older CRT technology.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/index.htm

I too did a lot of research when buying mine and I went with a 42" Phillips LCD in a piano black colour. It was affordable, the right size and gives a great HD image.

I got mine from a guy called Paul Wright (paul.s.wright@btinternet.com) 01283 516630. He was the best value online and delivered next day :thumbs: I've been very happy with mine.

There are plenty of sites that'll give you info though: http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml

GOOD LUCK

Very Nice stuey but not a full hd panasonic plasma ;)

wot do you mean by that beavis.............. im a bit of a technophobe.....!! :blush:

Read my earlier posts, the Panasonic Plasma is the king of the flat screen world. ;)

I have a 43" Pioneer plasma in the living room, since buying this a year or so ago, there have been considerable developments in the LCD world, and the picture quality of top end LCD's is now MUCH better than it was some time ago.

The major problem with LCD has alway been its contrast ratio, though there have been technological advances to try and work round this, it is still going o be a thorn in the side of LCD. Beware of "dynamic" contrast ratios that woul on the face of it suggest contrast ratios much higher than plasma.

Dynamic contrast does work well, but in instances when both ligh and very dark are required on the screen at the same time, even the best can struggle to produce images on par with even a mid range plasma.

The Bravia certainly seem to be at the top of the pyramid for quality LCD, and for me the Pioneer Plasma series have always been among the very best Plasma screens.

I did have an issue with image retention on the Plasma, but that was due to me having a static bright white logo displayed on a section of the plasma for hours on end during the early stages of ownership. A screen wash dvd and snow screen overnight fixed it, and now its a bit older it no longer suffers that problem at all.

I recently upgraded the setup in my "boys room" upstairs though which is used for HD movies and playing the xbox. Its a HD projector capable of images such as this at a lovely 92" across :teeth:

lotr3.jpg

xb4.jpg

sw3.jpg

Halo 3 on this is simply too much fun. :lol: