HELP! JDM Zed Wont Start

Will

Nightmare..

My Zed has been stood for 2 weeks while on holiday, came back and the neighbor had disconnected the battery because the alarm started to go off in the night.. Anyways, i have bought a new car so when i got back from holiday i jump started the Zed, to be able to take it down to Nationwide for a full service this morning.

All went well, and the car started and i dropped it off at Nationwide at 8am. Went back to pick it up at 5pm, all good.. I Drove about a mile and nipped into Morrisons.. came back out and then drove it about 4 more miles, and it just cut out on a duel carriage way. I slowly moved into the first lane and came to a stop, tried to start the car again but no joy, all power went, and the alarm sounded. So immediately i thought this was down to the battery again. I called the RAC and waited about an hour and a half for him to turn up at this point all power had gone to the point that even the interior hazard lights had gone out.

The RAC man was also convinced it was power failure, so he plugged his power pack charger thing in, and asked me to fire it up. Still no joy, all the lights dimmed and the alarm went off. We tried this a few time with no success.

He had a look around at a few other things, but came to the conclusion he couldn't fix it and proceeded to toe me home ;(

The car is now sat outside, not working ;( i tried to jump start it again like yesterday, but no joy!

Any ideas guys! i just DONT get it, it had just had a 130 point service hours before!!

;(

Will

New battery or alternator? Hopefully it wont be an immobilser problem :headhurt:

Did the RAC man say battery was dead?

I would put in a new battery now & when it goes in for service as them to check alternator etc

The RAC man didnt say anything about the battery, just that it was pretty dead, and when trying to use his powerpack thing to start it, it still didnt work so i think he then discounted the battery issue completley.

The car has already been in for its service, it was this morning, after the service is when the breakdown happened. One of the 130+ checks there supposed to do is a battery test !

Im going to pick up a new battery tomorrow. See if thats the issue..

Cheers

Will

Spoke to the Nationwide service department, and the guy that actually did the service, they are saying they did an altenator and battery test which was fine. I am going to pick up a battery this afternoon as my first point of call.

I rang Glynn Hopkins Nissan this morning also, spoke to the service department about what happend, the helpful guy there also suggested Battery, but also said that its strange that the RAC guy couldnt start it with his battery pack, and he said to be ready for something maybe more serious, as it sounds like there is strain on the engine. (possibly seized) He asked me to check Oil levels (even tho it had just had a full change) etc.

Not sounding good...

Well got a new battery from Halfords and still its dead. While I was doing this I also found a torch next to the air filter, a nice momento from the service garage.

Going to call Nissan in the morning and get it looked at.

Well got a new battery from Halfords and still its dead. While I was doing this I also found a torch next to the air filter, a nice momento from the service garage.

Poor earth, iffy starter motor or major engine malfunction as our friends over the pond like to say.

Put in top gear (ign and handbrake off) and try to push it, bring a friend - if you can the engine aint seized. If you can't move it... :bangin:

Dip the oil - make sure they refilled it..or remembered to refit the sump bung..he forgot his torch and thats much bigger.

faulty imoboliser would be the next thing I would get checked assuming that it has one fitted, as not standard on JDM

Bad news, it is confirmed that my engine is completley dead. Apparently theres bits of pison, and circlips, and conrods all broken up in the bottom!

So, that confirms that im going to have to source a new engine for my zed.. I have a couple of questions.

1) My zed is an 03 JDM, i have the option of about 6 engines from 03 up to 06 age, from 15,000 to 35,000 miles, can i put ANY engine into my car?

2) Are all 06 engines the new 300bhp ones ? or was that 07? either way can the higher powered engines drop in place?

3) What about ECU, Wiring, etc etc.. with mine being JDM im assuming i could have some problems here?

With these questions in mind, i am considering the offer of an 06 engine, 24,500 miles, 3 month warrenty, fully tested.. £1995+ vat..

Any help or any guidence on someone to call that may be able to answer my questions would be very much appreciated

I think the 06 engine would be ok as it's the same physically. As for plumbing it in to a JDM car. No idea! I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem but that' a question for someone who has changed one before.

Do you know what caused the engine failure. Seems strange after just having it serviced.

Sounds ok to me but I'm not a technical guru. Big phil or TDI or someone might have a better idea. I wouldn't like to give you a bum steer.

I honestly couldn't see what could be that different. Exhaust system might have diferent back pressure or something??????

:scare: eh, from a possible faulty battery to shagged engine. Bit of a miss diagnosis somewhere :headhurt:

Did the engine seem to be weird before you went away, if not, I be wanting to know what your neighbour has been up to. cause this doesn't happen while it's been parked up :headhurt:

Hi Mike,

Yeh i agree, its all very very weird.. and it seems like theres not really much i can do about it.

My main concern was that i had it sold this week! as i have bought a new car..

Do you by any chance know if the 06 engine will drop into the JDM ?

Will

Whilst I'm impressed by your "c'est la vie" attitude, Will, I can't fathom why you seem to just be taking this on the chin? :wacko: If it costs you £2k for the motor, it'll still cost you a small fortune in labour to get it fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. If it was OK before it went in to Nationwide, they gave it a clean bill of health and then it went pop a few miles later, my finger would be pointing at them. You need an independent engineer to ascertain what the cause of the failure was - these engines don't go pop on their own. Whatever you decide, good luck with it. :thumbs:

To say that this is suspicious is an understatement!!!!

Now that you know that you did not have a dud battery why would your neighbour disconnect it??

Did you check the mileage before you went away? Had it done any miles? Had it moved?

I would be tempted to make discreet enquiries with other neighbours to see if anything comes to light.

Out of curiosity how many miles had the engine done. Even on total neglect mode and with poor oil changes and service I would expect it to last 70 or 80 thousand before this sort of carnage. It is hard to imagine what sort of problem could cause the engine to trash itself in this way!

On the engine front I am not sure about the fitment - I am sure Nissan could access the data, from Japan if necessary, for you to confirm it - but the price looks quite reasonable, especially given the mileage.

I hope that things go a little better for you now.

Ming the Hopeful

I guess it does seem like im taking it on the chin, but im so fed up that all i can think about right now is getting the engine replaced and sold. I have enquired at a solicitors and the only way i can pin this on nationwide is to prove it was something they did in the service, or something they didnt do which they should have done.. But this is going to be near on imposible to figure out without hardcore spending for a full investigation of the engine as for example the garage its with now found a valve wedged in the crank !!!

Re the neighbour, he just disconnected the battery beause it had gone flat whilst we were away and the alarm started going off. Hes not a boy racer or anything, total opposite in fact, I dont for one minute suspect him of being anything to do with it.

Out of curiosity how many miles had the engine done. Even on total neglect mode and with poor oil changes and service I would expect it to last 70 or 80 thousand before this sort of carnage. It is hard to imagine what sort of problem could cause the engine to trash itself in this way!

Its done about 56,000 miles mate.

I guess it does seem like im taking it on the chin, but im so fed up that all i can think about right now is getting the engine replaced and sold. I have enquired at a solicitors and the only way i can pin this on nationwide is to prove it was something they did in the service, or something they didnt do which they should have done.. But this is going to be near on imposible to figure out without hardcore spending for a full investigation of the engine as for example the garage its with now found a valve wedged in the crank !!!

Re the neighbour, he just disconnected the battery beause it had gone flat whilst we were away and the alarm started going off. Hes not a boy racer or anything, total opposite in fact, I dont for one minute suspect him of being anything to do with it.

This may be totally stupid but, if the battery was totally flat, what was powering the alarm?