Any washing machine repairers here?

twobears

The dryer on my combination washer dryer has stopped working so I called the insurers and they said the excess has now gone up to £50 so I was wondering if it was worth calling them out or if I should cancel the policy and try to find someone local and independent (assuming such a person exists)?

I pay £15.99 for the policy per month and it was recommended on MoneySavingExpert but now I feel as though I might be better just saving the money every month and putting it into an 'appliance breakdown fund'? Anyone knowledgeable on these matters? I seem to be spending all my time here in Yorkshire sorting out problems instead of doing the decorating that I am here to do!!

woah woah woah, so you pay £192 a year to cover what, appliance damage? you could buy a new washing machine every year for that much money, how often do new appliances break down, should be guaranteed for at least 2 years.

I used to pay money for boiler cover in the event it goes wrong, but since our boiler is quite old and parts availability is limited, I sacked it in and decided i'd be better off saving up an emergency fund instead, and buying a new one when it breaks.

• Like 1

There are plenty such people to do these repairs.

A Call Out fee plus the VAT will be more than £50.00,plus whatever spares are required and possibly a return visit - all chargeable.

So in this situation, I would use your Insurance.

For future reference, I would always put the money aside for white goods rather than take a Warranty Cover.

No wonder Insurance companies do very nicely :doh:

Sorry Annie, but that is like pouring money down the drain...... I hope you don't have other similar insurance policies - just have those you must have - which are car and house for me and as you suggest, keep a sinking fund for the unexpected. :surrender:

Brillomaster - Washer Dryers are not that cheap. Plus better spending £400 for a German Make - Bosch, Siemens- still would not purchase the Warranty though

Two Bears - If you have the room, next time consider buying these separately, life expectancy is much longer.

I also would cancel your Warranty Insurance after you have resolved this repair.

Incase you were not informed when you purchased the item, anything over 3 years life expectancy is considered good on a washer/dryer. Many however will last 5 years - make dependant.

Thanks everyone. I think I have made the wrong decision re the insurance haven't I? :blush: I've decided to do as everyone suggests and get them to come and fix it this time and then cancel the insurance and save up some money for emergencies instead.

Wendy, I haven't got room for a separate dryer, unfortunately, because I have two washing machines side by side instead. The washer dryer is for human clothes and the other, which is a washer only, is for horse rugs/numnahs/dog/cat bedding etc that I wouldn't want in the 'human' washing machine.

I am just wondering what is going to break next as I normally find that all my household appliances go kaput at the same time :dry:

The first thing I always point out when offered insurance from alliance salesmen is that it's really not going to get a sale over the line to talk defects before purchase. Wouldn't bother with Bosch or Siemens machines the on,y one I would ever consider getting a warranty on is Miele as they seem to be the top end of laundry appliance and sure they used to come with A long term manufacturers warranty. I digress not worth getting insurance on household appliances Sony recently wrote to me wanting £400 to cover a £650 TV thats 12 months old. Racketeering.

Thanks everyone. I think I have made the wrong decision re the insurance haven't I? :blush: I've decided to do as everyone suggests and get them to come and fix it this time and then cancel the insurance and save up some money for emergencies instead.

The washer dryer is for human clothes and the other, which is a washer only, is for horse rugs/numnahs/dog/cat bedding etc that I wouldn't want in the 'human' washing machine.

Doesn't seem to bother my sister. For that matter the dogs bowls, horses bits, and the household cutlery all go in the same Belfast sink together. And she thinks I'm odd for declining a coffee when I call round!

leonk, that is just yukky :yuck: My cleaner tried putting the dogs' bowls in the dishwasher. She only did it the once :lol: Have to admit to putting horse's bit in there after scrubbing it with a scourer first. It does get it lovely and shiny if you are showing :blush:

Any insurance is poor value by definition. You should only ever take insurance that is either compulsory, like car insurance, or it relates to something that you can't live without and can't afford to replace, like a buildings insurance. Travel insurance to non-EU countries might be a good idea, but that is about it.

All other insurance, mobile phones, appliances, gadgets, payment protection etc is just them screwing you over big time. It is a lot better to put the money you would spend on all those insurances in a separate fund and take it out when necessary.

• Like 1

Have to admit to putting horse's bit in there after scrubbing it with a scourer first. It does get it lovely and shiny if you are showing :blush:

The poor horse, and then having to show his shiny bit too :scare::lol:

Actually, and you won't like this :lol: , if the horse does get his bits out when you are showing, some people whack it with their showing cane to make the poor horse put it away quick smart :scare: I've got a mare now so no worries on that front but my old horse was terrible for getting, erm, over excited ;)