Squeak on cold start up how do I know if its the pulleys or fan belt?

Randy_Baton

Yeah I know there is a very similar topic just below this one but...

I have a squeak on start up only when its cold and it lasts for a few minutes. I had my belts changed in the autumn, so thought the squeak wouldn't reappear this winter. Well it has :thumbs::bang: . Just wondering how I would diagnose if its a belt or pulley issue?

I tried a squirt of WD40 onto the grooved side of the belts yesterday morning, and the squeak went away after 3-4 seconds of spray on each belt. It however came back when I next started it up. I thought the WD40 would last a few days/weeks at least. Was I wrong in thinking that?

I might pop to Halfords and gets some proper silicone belt spray tomorrow.

I was also going to try the belt tensioners tomorrow, but only if I can get my hand down past the radiator.

Do I tighten (clockwise) or loosen (anti-clockwise) the nut to increase tension?

How much of a turn should I be looking at to tighten them? I know that depends on how loose they are but am I looking at a small fraction of a rotation or couple of rotations.

tn_DSCF0697b.jpg

thanks

Imo don't put WD40 on your belts please Randy. :surrender::doh:

It will only temporarily stop any squeaking noise you are hearing & may in fact cause the belt to slip even more in the long term. It will also increase the chance of the belt deteriorating quicker as it is petroleum based product.

Just adjust the belt tightness if you can which should solve the problem as you say the belts aren't that old & shouldn't need replacing. Never done belt adjustment on the Zed myself so sure someone else will pop along soon to tell you what to undo/tighten.

Useual causes of squeaking,

Badly worn belt

Belt too tight

Belt too loose

Damp weather also compounds the effect of extra load from lighting, although I have never seen any squeak caused by an alternator unless the bearings are going,

Try some talc or chalk powder that usually helps.

Useual causes of squeaking,

Badly worn belt

Belt too tight

Belt too loose

Damp weather also compounds the effect of extra load from lighting, although I have never seen any squeak caused by an alternator unless the bearings are going,

Try some talc or chalk powder that usually helps.

Talc chalk powder where would i apply it? to the belts or pulleys?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to doing this today. I can confirm you can get to the belt tensioner fairly easily from above the engine so there maybe no need to jack the car up and remove the under tray. I don't have the biggest arms and I also have the Mishimoto fan shroud which makes it easier. I could only get maybe 1/2 to a full turn onto each tensioner before it was too tight to move. Doing it from the top doesn't allow much room to generate torque on the wrench.

Could someone confirm that tightening the screw (i.e. clockwise), tightens the belt (i.e. moves the pulley up). I tried to eyeball it but couldn't actually see any movement.

I also put some climbing chalk on the underside of the belt, I just coated my fingers in it and brushed them onto the underside of the belt, turned the engine over to spin the belts then repeated the process.

As the issue was intermittent I'll give it a week and report back.

Yeah I know there is a very similar topic just below this one but...

I have a squeak on start up only when its cold and it lasts for a few minutes. I had my belts changed in the autumn, so thought the squeak wouldn't reappear this winter. Well it has :thumbs::bang: . Just wondering how I would diagnose if its a belt or pulley issue?

I tried a squirt of WD40 onto the grooved side of the belts yesterday morning, and the squeak went away after 3-4 seconds of spray on each belt. It however came back when I next started it up. I thought the WD40 would last a few days/weeks at least. Was I wrong in thinking that?

I might pop to Halfords and gets some proper silicone belt spray tomorrow.

I was also going to try the belt tensioners tomorrow, but only if I can get my hand down past the radiator.

Do I tighten (clockwise) or loosen (anti-clockwise) the nut to increase tension?

How much of a turn should I be looking at to tighten them? I know that depends on how loose they are but am I looking at a small fraction of a rotation or couple of rotations.

tn_DSCF0697b.jpg

Are they belts new

thanks