Top Gear Patagonia Special Part II

coldel

i do hope that any person driving a car displaying the below isnt muslim

(A-Z)77 LDN/ (A-Z)77 LON as that would mean there taking the **** out of the london bombings

(A-Z)911 NYC as that would be taking the **** out of the twin towers

No, I think if some Islamic presenters of a middle eastern TV show with a history of broadcasting offensive racial slurs against the US drove a car with aforementioned number plates across the US to end up at the site of the towers then I would think that we might see a US version of the 'animals' that live in Argentina. Similarly if we saw a UK version I am pretty sure we would have UKIP up in arms and the far right looking for a punch up.

Thats the difference I don't think some people get, its the intent, it was avoidable.

On the actual show, I agree with Will it is getting so tiresome, it so needs a revamp but I dont think the lads know how to do that neither clearly do the writers or producers.

• Like 1

TBH there is enough You Tube content to search for what you want to watch - star in a car, the news section, pretty pointless in my opinion and usually skip through it which leaves the test drives, which I can watch anytime on You Tube.

Scary stuff indeed, like I say, if they had paid a little bit of respect when warned at the start this event (which was almost inevitable!) wouldnt have happened. The crew wouldn't have been in danger and so on. Lessons learn't one would hope.

Scary stuff indeed, like I say, if they had paid a little bit of respect when warned at the start this event (which was almost inevitable!) wouldnt have happened. The crew wouldn't have been in danger and so on. Lessons learn't one would hope.

But wouldnt changing the plate and driving it around on false plates be illegal?

and you cant just buy and ship another car over night

Argentina/Chile do sell cars, would have been able to buy a replacement within a day no problem, for the money that show makes the cost would have been negligable. Clearly they just didnt take any warnings that they might inflame tensions in that part of Argentina seriously enough to consider it. It was all very avoidable. Like I say, lesson learnt with any luck that they take the security and safety of their crew a bit more seriously.

Top Gear did have details of

Falklands Porsche number plate before buying it

BBC admits it did ask for paperwork which confirmed Porsche's controversial number plate H982 FKL before shipping it to Argentina for Top Gear Special

Before handing over any cash for the Porsche 928GT, a copy of the V5C registration document, clearly stating the number plate H982 FKL, was emailed to a member of the show’s production team.

A purchase order was then raised and a member of the Top Gear team visited the dealer to pay for the car before it was whisked off to a garage to be prepped for shipping to Argentina.

http://www.telegraph...-buying-it.html

BBC admits it did ask for paperwork which confirmed Porsche's controversial number plate H982 FKL before shipping it to Argentina for Top Gear Special

Before handing over any cash for the Porsche 928GT, a copy of the V5C registration document, clearly stating the number plate H982 FKL, was emailed to a member of the show’s production team.

A purchase order was then raised and a member of the Top Gear team visited the dealer to pay for the car before it was whisked off to a garage to be prepped for shipping to Argentina.

Obviously! But who would notice that very vague number plate reference?

The plate was on the car from new so unless top gear planned this multiple years ago...

• Like 1

The plate was on the car from new so unless top gear planned this multiple years ago...

who ? the argentinians, obviously !

It was just a viral thing that got picked up and blown out of proportion on the internet. Then the angry mob which joins any type of violent protesting jumped on the band wagon (My opinion only and not fact :D )

No one, unless it was pointed out to you, i wouldnt imagine many on here couldnt have told you the date of the Falklands before this nonsense.

Media frenzy fuelled by a lot of peoples dislike for JC.

Wasn't it a daily mail journo that first started posting it on Twitter trying to spark outrage

Wasn't it a daily mail journo that first started posting it on Twitter trying to spark outrage

Not sure, it's a pantomime anyway, contrived to promote controversy and grab attention ... So it worked !

It doesnt matter if anyone here could remember the date of the Falklands, its that the Argentinians did. And is it vague to them? Given the current attitude of Kirchner and her very public proposals around the Falklands and references to the war the majority of Argentinians would know the date of course.

James May was right, that the majority of the trip was very pleasant and no problems arose. The point is, they antagonised a specific group of people, ie those living in a particular area where the Belgrano was built, by driving a car, which was already widely spoken about on the internet, which had the Falklands war date written on it driven by someone who has courted plenty of controversy with quite racist remarks in the past, straight to that place. It was idiotic, bordering on reckless as we saw.

I also wonder if there was a car swap between presenters - seemed odd to me that Clarkson got the 'boring' Porsche, would have had May in that and Clarkson in the unreliable Lotus - I wonder if he decided he would take the responsibility for driving it?

It doesnt matter if anyone here could remember the date of the Falklands, its that the Argentinians did. And is it vague to them? Given the current attitude of Kirchner and her very public proposals around the Falklands and references to the war the majority of Argentinians would know the date of course.

James May was right, that the majority of the trip was very pleasant and no problems arose. The point is, they antagonised a specific group of people, ie those living in a particular area where the Belgrano was built, by driving a car, which was already widely spoken about on the internet, which had the Falklands war date written on it driven by someone who has courted plenty of controversy with quite racist remarks in the past, straight to that place. It was idiotic, bordering on reckless as we saw.

Agreed although I do remember the date, my brother in law was there with the marines and lost some good friends

I also wonder if there was a car swap between presenters - seemed odd to me that Clarkson got the 'boring' Porsche, would have had May in that and Clarkson in the unreliable Lotus - I wonder if he decided he would take the responsibility for driving it?

Or Hammond, he's very partial to a Porsche

Didn't that get explained in the first part ? And that wasn't a made up story as it's In one of clarksons books

Don't take. It the wrong way codel it does seem your trying your hardest to link it all together like usual Clarkson haters to make it fit

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 2

I dont hate Clarkson...there thats that out the way :teeth: clearly this is nothing to do whether you hate Clarkson or not. What I do hate are TV shows that go abroad and don't respect other countries culture and beliefs and then come home bleating about it as if they were really hard done by. I don't agree the crew deserved to be pelted by rocks and attacked but they had plenty warning and common bleedin' sense says that they were driving into a hotbed of potential hatred - there would have been numerous chances to avoid it from the set-up i.e. finishing at the port where the Belgrano was built, through the researchers who should be planning the whole thing right up to arrival when bloggers were mailing them telling them that they would end up in trouble - so much time to avoid it but they plowed on regardless, who knows why.

Mind you it was summed up by the intelligence of the guy who was entitled 'security' at the end in the hotel when giving out advice on what to do next "erm, I think we should, erm, stay in our rooms" - well glad they had him along.

Argentina use the Falklands as a way of diverting attention away from other serious political issues they have at home. What made me laugh was the sign in the first episode. Talk about a deluded nation.

They invaded first, they got their arses handed to them and they lost. So how they can claim ownership I have no idea.

And their reaction at the end of the second episode just goes to show how ridiculous they are. To get so worked up over a vague number plate.

Yes the sinking of the Belgrano was very sad, but if a country manoeuvres a warship in a time of combat into a combat position, don't expect it to get ignored.

How I see it with all the other things in the past it's happened people complain and top gear do nothing thens been so much promo to prove there innocence I beilive they are, never before have the put so much effort to telling there side of it

I seems like a crying wolf scenario so many obvious dig at people the first time they didn't mean it (and had permission from Argentina government to use the car on its plates ). It went wrong and because of the past no-one will accept it was a genuine overlook this time

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

It doesnt matter if anyone here could remember the date of the Falklands

Of course it does, on that basis how was anyone in the TG team supposed to recognise it on that assumption?

Clarkson gave his reasons for taking the Porsche, heartfelt reasons i might add!

If your honestly saying you would have made the assumption re the plate if you had not been told beforehand, i apologise reservedly, but as said elsewhere, what were the plates on the Mustang & Lotus? What were the plates on any of the other TG xmas cars?

From what i can gather they were only made aware once filming (because someone linked the plate), they had a set of plates made to avert the possibility of some action, even that backfired as mentioned elsewhere as some associated that with the sinking of the Bellgrano rather than reading it as pretty much everyone else would!!!!! What they were supposed to do, cancel the whole show, run illegal plates??

My dad lost many friends in the fleet air arms after Argentinian pilots fired missiles and dropped bombs on hangar decks as they were soft targets on ships.

People mourn the loses on both sides

There was a lot of tragedy on both sides, but they all signed up to do a job and that's what the armed forces did. If the Argentinian wanted to blame someone, they should blame their own government for picking the Falklands thinking it was an easy target to help bots nationalism at a time of poor economic instability, thinking the British would just roll over. And getting the shock of their life when we bite back.

Argentina use the Falklands as a way of diverting attention away from other serious political issues they have at home. What made me laugh was the sign in the first episode. Talk about a deluded nation.

They invaded first, they got their arses handed to them and they lost. So how they can claim ownership I have no idea.

And their reaction at the end of the second episode just goes to show how ridiculous they are. To get so worked up over a vague number plate.

Yes the sinking of the Belgrano was very sad, but if a country manoeuvres a warship in a time of combat into a combat position, don't expect it to get ignored.

Thats the issue though, at no point were Argentina or the UK at war during the Falklands conflict - it was a conflict not a war, so there were legal agreements in place as to the total exclusion zone around the islands which is where the conflict could only take place - the belgrano was 200km outside that zone and was attacked as it was perceived as a threat. There is evidence to show that the UK extended that zone before the attack but it was not disclosed to Argentina. The UK countered with some intel that showed the belgrano was about to attack so they took pre-emptive action. Its not a clear cut 'we took em on and beat em yeah go us' issue and is the basis for the amount of hatred that still exists in Argentina over it, to a level I am sure none of us can grasp.