Avon calling?

stevie_350z

I've just decided to try Michelin Pilot Sports instead of the Toyos for the Z - 160 each for all four, so a good bit more expensive but I was feeling rather daring!

A few places keep trying to push Avon tyres, a British company apparently. Looking here the description sounds interesting:

"Lots of ultra-high performance tyres give strong levels of roadholding, but the ZZ3 combines that talent with very gentle and predictable breakaway characteristics as you approach the limits of its grip..."

They are about the same price as the Toyos... the local tyre fitter called Toyos "expensive crap" and reckoned Avon were better... but they are the same price, and I was happy with the Toyos more than the Birdgestones.

Anyhoo - has anyone used these Avon tyres? What about the Pilot Sports? I know these Pilots are used on M3s...

Cheers

Steve

I've had Pilot Sports on mine for about 6 weeks now and am thoroughly delighted with them. They are quieter than the Bridgestones, better in the dry and don't seem to be any worse in the wet. The side walls are a bit softer so you don't get the initial bite of the Stones, but once you are settled into a corner there's loads of grip.

Leave the Avons alone. They make good race tyres but crap road tyres.

I had Avons on a TVR Tamora and had a big spin in the wet. The back end just last traction with no warning and suddenly I was facing the wrong way, whilst travelling along a straight road!

I've stayed well clear of Azon ever since and had a much better experience with Toyos (much more predictable) since on TVR and 350Z.

• 2 months later...

iv neevr been a fan off avons but a mate of mine has got them on his leon cupra R and gotta say the grip levels are awesome he's got more grip round a roundabout than me in teh Z and that aint a easy thing to say!!! mates got a evo 6 aswell and he commented on the amount of grip of it

I honestly think the pilots have more grip.

when I was at the Nurburgring this year I was on toyos and my mate in his M3 was on pilots - I know the cars are different but it felt like he had more grip on the track.

Now I have the PS2s on I'm convinced they have more, but they are a good bit more expensive :(

I think the Pilot Sports are a better tyre than the Toyos, but whether they are that much better to warrant the extra cost I guess is down to personal choice.

If the price is not a consideration then I would definately go for the PS's.

+1

hit the nail on the head for me! :thumbs:

• 5 months later...

I use Avons both for road (ZZ3) and track (CR's)... The new generation of Avons are amongst the best compounds out there, they use track tech for the road, the downside is you loose out on wear, no big deal and yes, wet weather grip is not the best granted but...

I am actualy going in for a new set today and noticed this post, oh and I'm on Pilot Sport just now, they wear well, but then they are made from mahogany...

Serious, a good tyre, dont be put off with hearsay, try them out for yourself, youll find out...

I use Avons both for road (ZZ3) and track (CR's)... The new generation of Avons are amongst the best compounds out there, they use track tech for the road, the downside is you loose out on wear, no big deal and yes, wet weather grip is not the best granted but...

I am actualy going in for a new set today and noticed this post, oh and I'm on Pilot Sport just now, they wear well, but then they are made from mahogany...

Serious, a good tyre, dont be put off with hearsay, try them out for yourself, youll find out...

Depends what you call 'wear well'. I'm averaging about 8000 from my rears.