Eml light just suddenly came on!

kkong6

My engine management light just came on suddenly when driving to work today, as usual I was worried so I pulled over to check it out. Engine oil level is fine also just changed a few weeks ago with oil filter. Checked coolant levels that's good... Drove the car to work driving normal speeds and not putting my foot down just in case it made it worse. But yeh... Car feels fine and doesn't drive different in anyway (havnt put my foot down yet). And my mechanic I use is on xmas holidays already. Anyone can shed some light to what to look for or what to check on these cars or where local I can get it checked out that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

It's a 350z gt4 05 plate

Located in Leicester

Any help or advice much appreciated

Edited by kkong6

Do you have aftermarket Cat's? E.g. HFC's (High Flow Cats) or De-Cats.

The reason I ask about the Cats is because the EML can be easily set off from changing to the above as it upsets the secondary set of O2 sensors.

To truly know what it is you need to get the code read though. You can have this done at a garage or do it yourself easily enough at home using a OBDII code reader,

The code reader can be bought cheaply on eBay & also can be used to turn off the EML once you have read the code. ;)

As above.

You can also search 'peddle dance' or 'ecu reset' in the guides section and you can do it manually at home, take some practice but it's free. :wink:

Before you reset it read the codes using the flashing lights.

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

Forgot to mention the car is totally oem standard apart from a toyosports exhaust catback that was already on the car when I purchased.

Thanks for the response people, however doing the 'peddle dance' won't that just cover up a problem rather than fix it? 0_0 guess I'm going to have to find a new mechanic to have a look at it

If you just do the pedal dance and turn off the EML then yes that's not good as you won't know what the problem is but what Sam was saying is that firstly you can read the code as there is a way to get the EML to flash at you like morse code.

It is in the manual somewhere I believe telling you how to do this.

You could just buy a code reader though like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-OBD2-CAN-BUS-CAR-FAULT-CODE-READER-SCANNER-DIAGNOSTIC-SCAN-TOOL-U480-/281470467523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4188f27dc3

Then look at this to see what the code means: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/81962-350z-fault-codes-in-pdf/

;)

however doing the 'peddle dance' won't that just cover up a problem rather than fix it?

No. If you read the sequence of EML light flashing before you reset it it will tell you the code.

Taken from here in the guides section of this very forum - http://www.350z-uk.c...e-valve-resets/

ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.

A stop watch or an analog clock with a second?s needle will be useful.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ?ON? and wait 3 seconds.

2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.

2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).

2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking. This blinking is the EML code - so count them. You get a series of fast flashes followed by a space then more fast flashes etc... So 1flash, then 1flash then 4 flash then 7 flash would be EML code P1147. - Look that up un the fault code list in the guides section or just google it.

The next bit resets the light/ecu

4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)

5. Wait about 10 second.

6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.

7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).

8. Turn ignition switch to ?OFF? position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

Obviously, a code reader is easier, but you can go outside right now and do this to get the code...and its free. :)

• Like 1

thanks guys, got a friend to have a look at it for me, fault code that came up is P1078 Exhaust Valve Timing Control Position Sensor (Bank 1), he's reset it for me and said it is most likely down to the weather or the current conditions or even just giving the car a good thrashing could be the cause, said to see how it goes for now....?