Is this blowing?

Durk

The video is me just revving it up to like 4k and letting off, as it comes down you can hear a hiss... it also does this hissing if im accelerating and its under load... have I got a hole in my system somewhere? It doesn't sound like it should be doing that...

I'll get it up on ramps and have a proper look but wanted to get another opinion first

Edited by Durk

That's a strange one. :surrender::lol:

Usually I would have expected it just to be giving a deeper sound from the exhaust system if it was blowing somewhere. :dry:

Not sure what that hissing's all about. Have you checked your air intakes for any leaks? just a thought as I'm sure someone else had a similar strange noise which was to do with air being sucked in under vacuum through a small split in a pipe.

Although in saying that here's another thread from a member called Liam mentioning a similar noise to yours. Although typically it doesn't say what happened or if he found the cause of the noise.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/90423-ive-had-it-with-this-mother-fing-snake-in-this-mother-fing-car/

If you can get under the car then check the whole exhaust system, ...if it is blowing somewhere you should see some evidence like soot marks. :thumbs:

Usually I would have expected it just to be giving a deeper sound from the exhaust system if it was blowing somewhere. :dry:

Not sure what that hissing's all about. Have you checked your air intakes for any leaks? just a thought as I'm sure someone else had a similar strange noise which was to do with air being sucked in under vacuum through a small split in a pipe.

Although in saying that here's another thread from a member called Liam mentioning a similar noise to yours. Although typically it doesn't say what happened or if he found the cause of the noise.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.c...other-fing-car/

If you can get under the car then check the whole exhaust system, ...if it is blowing somewhere you should see some evidence like soot marks. :thumbs:

Yeah, that's what made me post about it to be honest... I expected something different if it was blowing but was the only thing I could think of

I haven't checked the air intakes because I thought it was coming from the exhaust in a blowing type fashion but that's a good shout so will give that a go and report back tomorrow (bit dark now to play about)

It was making the noise before I fitted the HFCs I got from you so if there was a problem I was expecting the garage to let me know my Y pipe was fooked but as they didn't I have just carried on. What's made me look into it is that I've had my headunit out for a few days while I replace it and have driven around in silence and its just got a bit annoying hearing this hiss so often, sounds like ive got a dump valve sometimes!

Edited by Durk

Yeah, that's what made me post about it to be honest... I expected something different if it was blowing but was the only thing I could think of

I haven't checked the air intakes because I thought it was coming from the exhaust in a blowing type fashion but that's a good shout so will give that a go and report back tomorrow (bit dark now to play about)

It was making the noise before I fitted the HFCs I got from you so if there was a problem I was expecting the garage to let me know my Y pipe was fooked but as they didn't I have just carried on. What's made me look into it is that I've had my headunit out for a few days while I replace it and have driven around in silence and its just got a bit annoying hearing this hiss so often, sounds like ive got a dump valve sometimes!

My Z made this hissing noise after I had HFC fitted-could be that if you have them fitted to your car?

^

My Z made this hissing noise after I had HFC fitted-could be that if you have them fitted to your car?

^

As you've highlighted though Graham the noise was there before fitting the HFC's, ....maybe leaking from the Y-pipe flexi joints? :shrug:

thanks guys, I had a look and couldn't find anything coming from the intakes as suggested and my instinct is going with Y pipe as it sounds like its coming from right in the middle of the exhaust system... so i'll see when I can arrange to get it looked at but it's that busy time of the year now! :cold:

would you suggest getting an OEM Y pipe, probably second hand or should I go for a stainless steel one? I'm worried something like a Stillen will make it too loud as it's only my Y pipe that's standard at the moment

Edited by Durk

would you suggest getting an OEM Y pipe, probably second hand or should I go for a stainless steel one? I'm worried something like a Stillen will make it too loud as it's only my Y pipe that's standard at the moment

Personally if it was me I would go for an aftermarket stainless steel Y-pipe. All depends though on your funds obviously as you could probably get a secondhand OEM Y-pipe for £50-£60 odd whereas any aftermarket stainless steel one is going to be at least £100+ depending on manufacturer.

The Cobra ones from the Cougar Store are £275 and Clark Motorsport have developed their own Y-pipe which is £250-£270 odd depending on pipe size you go for.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/90183-new-y-pipe-available-from-cms/

Link: http://cougarstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10&products_id=112&zenid=bcaa60565806895c2c0f2d2ff1b32aee

There are of course the eBay "specials" which I wouldn't recommend but they are a lot cheaper. Some stainless steel ones around £100 or less but no idea how well they'd fit or the quality of them so it would be a gamble.

Fyi ~ Changing the Y-pipe won't make the car louder at all imo (it's just pipe work/no baffles). :thumbs:

• Like 1

Personally if it was me I would go for an aftermarket stainless steel Y-pipe. All depends though on your funds obviously as you could probably get a secondhand OEM Y-pipe for £50-£60 odd whereas any aftermarket stainless steel one is going to be at least £100+ depending on manufacturer.

The Cobra ones from the Cougar Store are £275 and Clark Motorsport have developed their own Y-pipe which is £250-£270 odd depending on pipe size you go for.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.c...lable-from-cms/

Link: http://cougarstore.c...c0f2d2ff1b32aee

There are of course the eBay "specials" which I wouldn't recommend but they are a lot cheaper. Some stainless steel ones around £100 or less but no idea how well they'd fit or the quality of them so it would be a gamble.

Fyi ~ Changing the Y-pipe won't make the car louder at all imo (it's just pipe work/no baffles). :thumbs:

Thanks for the details Gareth :thumbs:

I'll update this thread when I've had the Y pipe checked... although I can't promise it will be very soon!

Don't bother with a second hand OEM, you'll only have to end up getting another down the line. Get a new one. As Gareth said, it shouldn't make it any louder I don't think, or not by much. I went with an "eBay special" and I was pleasantly surprised.

Got mine for £80 delivered in an auction, turned out to be a Japspeed one. Fitment was good and it is of nice quality. Feels like I have more power now, although my exhaust has been blowing for a while though, so might be in my head lol. All depends on your budget :)

Edited by pjf1985

• 1 month later...

Didn't realise it had been this long since I posted this!

Had it up on ramps today, guy at the garage said he thinks the flexis are rattling but is sure they aren't blowing... Either way its the flexis so it's a new Y pipe to be fitted some point next week :thumbs:

Also turns out it didn't have the standard OEM Y pipe... it has a full mongoose system :scare:

Had it up on ramps today, guy at the garage said he thinks the flexis are rattling but is sure they aren't blowing... Either way its the flexis so it's a new Y pipe to be fitted some point next week :thumbs:

Also turns out it didn't have the standard OEM Y pipe... it has a full mongoose system :scare:

Well you did say you couldn't promise it would be soon before you checked out the problem. :dry::lol:

Good news that you've traced the problem & full s/s system that's gotta be a nice surprise. Good luck with the fix. :thumbs:

• 5 weeks later...

Well you did say you couldn't promise it would be soon before you checked out the problem. :dry::lol:

Good news that you've traced the problem & full s/s system that's gotta be a nice surprise. Good luck with the fix. :thumbs:

Well, after buying a new pipe and going to swap it over... we found it didn't fit! The mongoose center pipe is much longer than standard and so the Y pipe I bought was too long!

I took it to Custom Chrome in Nuneaton today, they sorted me out and i'm running properly again :thumbs:

It also turns out that there WAS a small hole in the Y pipe, so it was blowing and not just rattling...

All sounds a lot better now... really impressed with the Mongoose system

Edited by Durk