Help please water in my boot

tatooandy67

Found a small amount of water in my boot today

I was mooching in the boot area and when I lifted the carpet and the corrugated panel above the sub and surrounding polystyrene that houses the wheel brace etc. I noticed a small puddle of water had gathered below the wheel brace in one of the recessed areas in the polystyrene. It's on the left/passenger side a couple of inches in front of the rear light cluster. I had a feel around that area and couldn't feel any damp so am now puzzled where this water has come from....any ideas folks so I can sort this before it becomes a serious issue

Thanks Andy

still no wiser about this, ive had a good feel round the back of the light and along the seal that runs down the edge of the boot, all seems seems fine, boot mat is dry too and I cant find any damp areas so no idea how the water has got in, I have noticed when I open the boot after we've had rain there is water trapped between the seal and the edge of the boot which usually runs down the outside of the rear quarter, I'm wondering if the water that gets trapped there has got past the seal and ran down the inside, I'll have to monitor it and do some more exploring next time it rains, any sugestions would be much apreciated as I'm stumped for now

Edited by tatooandy67

Have you had the lights out at all?

No, but was wondering maybe the seal round the light. How easy/difficult would it be to remove the light to check the seals round the rear light ?

Easy once you've done it the first time :lol: like most things

All plastic boot panels have to come off (rear and sides) to access an 8mm nut that holds the light in at the rear of the light inside the boot, then remove the 10mm bolts at the side of the light unit, lift out and unplug the cable and it's out

Hth :thumbs:

Ps. The back panel comes out before the side as it slots behind it

• Like 1

^^^ nice 1 :thumbs:

Can't do anything now til the weekend, early start at work and dark when I get home, will have a mooch Saturday if it's not raining

Gotta say mate I've done this lots of times, fitting reverse cam, led bulbs etc and the cheapy panel removal tools are a god send, got mine off eBay, can't recommend them enough, saves you breaking clips and scraping knuckles :thumbs:

^^^ nice 1 :thumbs:

Can't do anything now til the weekend, early start at work and dark when I get home, will have a mooch Saturday if it's not raining

Gotta say mate I've done this lots of times, fitting reverse cam, led bulbs etc and the cheapy panel removal tools are a god send, got mine off eBay, can't recommend them enough, saves you breaking clips and scraping knuckles :thumbs:

Sweet, got a set at work, used one to tease out my start button when I changed it, bit like miniature plastic crowbars, knew they'd come in handy at some time :thumbs:

Bet I'll still end up with scraped knuckles though :lol:

You can check the light without pulling the panels off. There is rubber grommits between the light mounting screws and the body. Make sure these are in place. This is where I had some water come in through as when the vinyls were done they never put them back on correctly.

• Like 1

You can check the light without pulling the panels off. There is rubber grommits between the light mounting screws and the body. Make sure these are in place. This is where I had some water come in through as when the vinyls were done they never put them back on correctly.

Sweet, I'll have a look tomorrow, nice 1

Roscoe had a problem with water in the boot, wasn't anything to do with lights. Give him a PM. Was on a 350 but you never know. Turned out to be a cheap fix

Sweet, will do :)

still exploring so any and all suggestions are welcome, had another mooch and feel around but we've not had any rain since I found and dried the puddle so no damp areas to help further my investigation, never thought I'd ever be wishing for / waiting for rain :lol:

Edited by tatooandy67

I had the same problem a few weeks ago found out that it was one of the vents behind the black foam in the boot. The seals seem to be made of a foam type of material which brakes easily. They are easy to replace just pull them out and put new seal in. Zmanalex supplied mine for me. Cheap fix as well!

• Like 2

Water leaks can be a real pain. Water can 'track' from a completely different area.

If it was me, get the help of a friend and whilst one of you sits in the car, doors shut of course, get the other to put a hospipe on the rear end and watch for a minute water trickle. It may just be a glistening few drops of water. Even in good light, the use of a torch may help. It may take some time to show but your patience will pay off :thumbs:

• Like 1

I had the same problem a few weeks ago found out that it was one of the vents behind the black foam in the boot. The seals seem to be made of a foam type of material which brakes easily. They are easy to replace just pull them out and put new seal in. Zmanalex supplied mine for me. Cheap fix as well!

This^^

It will most probably be those that are leaking. I found that they are actually a renault part number. I got new ones for £25.00 all in. I think nissan wanted about £49 each.

• Like 1

This^^

It will most probably be those that are leaking. I found that they are actually a renault part number. I got new ones for £25.00 all in. I think nissan wanted about £49 each.

Nice 1, will also check these out during my investigations

Again thanks guys for all the input, very helpful and I'm extremely grateful, I'm hoping to get things underway over this weekend, not had chance through the week due to work but up to now I've only got to work til lunchtime tomorrow so should be back home before dark and I'll have all day Sunday too if needed. Hopefully I'll be able to post up after this weekend that the issue is resolved :)

Thanks Andy :thumbs: