Rear Tyre Profile Question

timb2010

Hi all,

Been shopping for rear tyres as mine are getting close to the limit. They are vredestien sessanta 245/45/18s

I've been looking and the price is about £70 per tyre less for 245/40/18s.

Are there sizes that you guys use on standard alloys? I dont want the traction control messing around !!

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by timb2010

£70 per tyre.......................are you crazy ? :wacko:

Sorry £70 more for a pair, not a tyre.

The 40s are £97 each and the 45s are £135

Total £76

I'm sorry - but I have no idea how you're working your maths out - £70 for a pair makes them £35 each :wacko:

the prices you've quoted "average" out at £116 each

what brand are you looking at.............'cos that appears quite cheap to me

Edited by ioneabee

Vredenstein Sessanta UltraC 245/45/18 - £277 a pair

Vredenstein Sessanta UltraC 245/40/18 - £203 a pair

The 40 profile are £74 cheaper. This is the reason I asked if they could be used.

I have vredenstein on the front, they have a crazy tread design so wanted to keep them matched.

now I can see what you've done

half a story and all that :wacko:

The whole story was there, you just didn't read it correctly :lol: Few glasses last night by any chance? ;)

OP - the car will run fine with 245/40 rears and 225/40 front, however it may have minor issues with 40 rears alone. How close are the front to needing changed? If you drive around like Miss Daisy you'll be fine, but you'll only know what the TCS will react like after you change the tyres, in which case turn it off if you're going to do some spirited driving :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well......

I was going to stop being a cheapskate and buy a pair of 245/45/18s vredensteins for the rear to match the front, but nowhere seems to have them!!

So i called up CamSkill who told me that they have stopped making them now as they were a wet grip C rated, which these days is pretty crap as even budgets are a C wet grip. Vredenstein couldnt improve them so stopped doing them...

He did have stock of 40 profiles, so i said ill have fronts and backs in 40 profile. He said firstly I cant use them as they are rated 92Y load on the 225/40/18`s and legally i need anything over a 93Y. He said that also if I was to have a blowout on the motorway the insurance companies have access to the same database he has and they would viod the insurance as the tyres are not correctly rated for the weight of the car. Also the MOT should now be checking the tyres load rating.

He also said, even though he has stock, dont bother as if you damage a sidewall next month you wont be able to replace it as they are discontinued.

so.... next I asked about a replacement. He said that the Uniroyal Rain Sport 3`s he would recommend. I asked if i could save some money and buy these in a 40 profile but again he said that the 225/40/18s are 92Y rated. Can you get 225/40/18 93Y> rated?

I think i will just buy the 245/45/18`s and be done with it! I know everyone says MPSS but i cant afford them right now.

I've not read anything bad about on them on here so will give them a go at £104 each..

Thanks for the advice!

MPSS on tyreleader £25 more than the uni royals

http://www.tyreleade...zr18-100y-66149

Thanks SHEZZA,

Thats Cheap! Also free shipping, so not too much more really.

Apparently also "treadlife up to twice as long as the previous version", LOL. so hopefully last longer than the Uniroyals as some reviews said that they could wear quite quickly. CamSkill said they have a wear rating of 280 what ever that means? Ive not seen anywhere else quote a wear rating?

So... Im sorry, My VERY last question...

Am I going to be ok with Vredenstiens on the front and MPSS on the rear? Camskill recommended the UniRoyals also as they had a similar tread pattern.

Edited by timb2010

Goodyear eagle F1s AS2s from tyreleader are my recommendation. :)

Thanks mate, i just looked at those, they are £7 cheaper, but also they have a rating of C for econemy, whereas MPSS have a F rating..

The fronts are £20 each cheaper when i replace those next. But everyone on here says that MPSS are a no brainer on the 350Z.....

Ignore those bloody ratings, they're useless!

The MPSS will outlast the F1s, and by some margin. That's where you get your economy, not a 1% drop in mpg. The F1s are very good though, so would be a good second choice.

Don't mix tyres though, see the Sticky for why.

Thanks Ekona,

Not what i wanted to hear...... My only hope is that that my part worn front discontinued Vredenstiens become a saught after collectors item ££££

I will read the sticky...#

Do you have a tyre experts opinion of the Uniroyal RainSport 3 please?

Edited by timb2010

Also, it's utter rubbish that it's illegal to have tyres that don't have the right load rating on them. Complete and utter tosh.

An insurance guy might check, true, but that doesn't make it illegal. I'm not sure that it's an MOT fail, either.