Damn! Tear/Rip in my roadster roof.... great :-(

jbrunouk

So I have been ill for abot tfour weeks and not even driven my Zed. My brother had borrowed it few weeks ago and must have put the roof down.. Just went outside and noticed a tear in the roof!!

I hope to god this can be patched.. as I know new roofs are bloody expensive!!!! ie £1000+ for a decent one...

Not large but I am guessing will only get worse and worse if I take roof down... must be a stressed area...

Any advise on wat I can do about this??? As unsure if water will leak in and case any issues,,,

Pics below:

20140828_144052_zpsl2mpuv46.jpg20140828_144025_zpskya9xj1m.jpg20140828_144047_zpspn1zc12g.jpg

Edited by jbrunouk

They always go at this spot, mine's a lot worse than that but unless you live somewhere they have horizontal rain then they don't actually leak - just look a bit s**t. There's a couple of threads regarding re-covering the hood and it's actually a lot cheaper than you would think, it's costly to replace with a new Nissan unit, not to re-cover! Alex is right (as always) especially if you're like me and the roof spends most of the time away and when it's up the weather's usually to grim to be bothered what the hood looks like!! :)

I had a z3 and forum users on there mentionned a sythetic glued fix for times like this.

You had to hold fabric together (with the roof down) apply the residue and let it set for a few hours and when it came up the gap had closed right over.

Was a premature fix though as some had to do it again after a few months.

I cant remember the name of the glue they used. I'm sure it had youtube videos of it being applied when you searched for roof tear fix.

Hope that helps a little

Ok will have to look into trying to repair... I have tried to check if lowering I can pinch hole closed to glue but the good crease right in that spot.. so no way to do so and restricted access to rear maybe just enough to patch so no water gets in and will cosmetic fix the outside. Just worried about how crap it will look on the outside...

I read somewhere about stormsure...

Have a look at neoprene glues like Black Witch or Stormsure.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51c58ebbd1

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2597db667e

I have never repaired one but that's the way I'd go for a temp repair.

There must be pro repairers out there though.

Just a thought, "4RE Leather" might have a contact ? I know his field is leather, but he could maybe know someone. :shrug:

• Like 2

Mine's got a hole in the same place - so go easy on your bro, it probably wasn't his fault.

I'd be interested to know what causes it.

I repaired mine with caravan sealant - it's a black,flexible,sealant, that never sets - so it doesn't crack.

If I was brave enough I'd try and fuse it back together with a soldering iron or some heat source.