HR potential oil pressure problem

Roscoe

Yep, me for one. Just ticked over 70k on a 57 plate. My pressure is up at 65-70psi on cold startup. Drops down to around 30ish within a minute of warming up and stays between 20-30 on a normal drive, rising rapidly if I boot it. In stationary traffic with a warm engine it'll be really low, just above the minimum on the guage

That's a lot different to mine. From a cold start it's up around 120, and once fully warm it's 60 at 2000 rpm. Mine's done 43k.

Something doesn't seem right there then does it.

With which one? Pressures from the workshop manual:

Idle - More than 14 psi

2000 rpm - More than 43 psi

So 20-30 normal driving doesn't sound right.

Yep, me for one. Just ticked over 70k on a 57 plate. My pressure is up at 65-70psi on cold startup. Drops down to around 30ish within a minute of warming up and stays between 20-30 on a normal drive, rising rapidly if I boot it. In stationary traffic with a warm engine it'll be really low, just above the minimum on the guage

That's a lot different to mine. From a cold start it's up around 120, and once fully warm it's 60 at 2000 rpm. Mine's done 43k.

Something doesn't seem right there then does it.

With which one? Pressures from the workshop manual:

Idle - More than 14 psi

2000 rpm - More than 43 psi

So 20-30 normal driving doesn't sound right.

Maybe both of ours. Your 120psi sounds high, and my just above minimum in stationary traffic seems low, according to the manual.

Here's one thread where a few people have the same high reading from cold and say it's normal. It's from 2005 so will be for a DE but still...

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/173-nissan-350z/40208-high-oil-pressure.html

It's more than likely that both of our readings are absolutely fine, but we each have different oil in our engines, therefore affecting our pressures.

I'm not worrying about mine. I have a P3 service due just after Christmas so when the oil has been changed, I'll see if there is any difference then.

Edited by steve916

Changing oil grades wont make that big a difference, unless you test the true oil pressure with a mechanical Gauge you wont know for sure, you could have a problem with the pressure relief valve.

Who could have the problem, me or Joe?

It mentions the CVTC oil gallery gaskets which look like this

post-19616-141710759046_thumb.jpgpost-19616-141710760466_thumb.jpg

My apologies, I didn't realise that they meant those galleries, makes no sense running normal gaskets on high pressure oil galleries,

why did Nissan not use rubber gaskets in recesses, or at the least use a sensible sealant, thats just asking for trouble, funny I have never heard of the same problem on the DE.

The trouble is if there is enough of a leak there to cause the oil pressure to drop that low it's more than likely that there is already damage/accelerated ware to the plain bearing shells.

I've had it in at Japex today, oil pressure was 14 on idle and 40 at 2000 rpm. It was on 60psi on the way home at about 4000rpm. They don't seem to think it's an engine problem and have never heard of these gaskets going. Especially on the HR!

I would presume the HR runs pretty much the same std oil pressure as the DE, those pressures don't seem dangerously low but the fact that you say your pressure has dropped suddenly is a bit of a worry, I would fit a reliable electric or mechanical after market oil pressure gauge and just keep an eye on it..

Well, we've had some colder mornings this week, and I've noticed that my HR has been cold starting at about 90-100 and then dropping to about 60 before I drive off. Once everything is warmed up on a drive im getting 45-50 at 2000 rpm in 6th, then about 15 at idle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...