HR potential oil pressure problem

Roscoe

Right guys over the last couple of days I have noticed my oil pressure on idle is low. Lower than it usually is. The needle sits literally a needles width above 0 when warmed up. Oil level is fine and was changed around 2000 miles ago.

I have been searching the net over the last two days and it seems over the pond they are having the exact same issue with the g35 fitted with the vq35hr. This is a link to a good write up one of them has done.

His symptoms describe mine exactly.

What are your opinions on this?

I am going to get the oil pressure checked with an external gauge as I no our gauges aren't very accurate.

http://g35driver.com/forums/attachments/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/170001d1413220704-cause-dreaded-p0011-p0021-codes-everyone-curious-about-notes-repair-2007-vq35hr-leaking-oil-gallery-gaskets.pdf

I don't believe it to be a problem with the internals bearing clearances etc as the engine runs smooth as anything no odd sounds oil burn etc. No rattles on cold start. The issue with the gaskets seems to be well known over in the states.

Mine is now on 73k used daily on an 08 plate.

Similar to the mileage when the problem arose on the G35 then. I'm sure we have other HR owners with that sort of mileage.

Pete

Yep, me for one. Just ticked over 70k on a 57 plate. My pressure is up at 65-70psi on cold startup. Drops down to around 30ish within a minute of warming up and stays between 20-30 on a normal drive, rising rapidly if I boot it. In stationary traffic with a warm engine it'll be really low, just above the minimum on the guage

Yep, me for one. Just ticked over 70k on a 57 plate. My pressure is up at 65-70psi on cold startup. Drops down to around 30ish within a minute of warming up and stays between 20-30 on a normal drive, rising rapidly if I boot it. In stationary traffic with a warm engine it'll be really low, just above the minimum on the gauge

What's your oil consumption for the record ?

Yep, me for one. Just ticked over 70k on a 57 plate. My pressure is up at 65-70psi on cold startup. Drops down to around 30ish within a minute of warming up and stays between 20-30 on a normal drive, rising rapidly if I boot it. In stationary traffic with a warm engine it'll be really low, just above the minimum on the gauge

Hasn't used a drop in the 4 weeks of ownership

Driven 60 miles per day btw

Edited by steve916

Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thing, but from what I can gather, are they saying a gasket failure is the cause? and if so the only oil feed I can think of that would loose enough pressure to cause a drop like that would be the VVTI oil feed, but will have to have a look at a HR manual to tell for sure, I only have the DE, has anyone got a link to an HR manual download?

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

The issue with the gaskets seems to be well known over in the states.

I would always keep in mind that the climate in The States is much harder on cars than here. Temperatures of 40C for days on end and freezes that often go down to -30 must put a lot of strain on the engine plus the fact that 98 RON isn't always readily available and not at all in what are known as the rocky mountain states.

Pete

Ah that's good !

Ah that's good !

I was hoping you would say that :)

Just had a quick squint at the DE manual, and it appears that the VVTI oil feed comes through the rear to the front of the timing chain case from the head using spigots and "O" rings and not gaskets, so unless one of these has failed and is venting oil internally to the chain case, or externally from the case to head interface, there is no other place to loose a lot of oil pressure apart from thought the head gasket itself, unless of course there is a serious bearing problem somewhere.

I used to worry about oil pressure in the Zed ... now I haven't got any gauges in the CLK and so I don't worry at all ... it tells me when oil level is getting low so I just wait till that comes up ! simples !

Extra guages mean extra things to worry about.

• Like 1

I used to worry about oil pressure in the Zed ... now I haven't got any gauges in the CLK and so I don't worry at all ... it tells me when oil level is getting low so I just wait till that comes up ! simples !

Very true..... but for me gauges have saved me more than one engine in the past.

Very true..... but for me gauges have saved me more than one engine in the past.

Agree. They have for me too. You just have to find the right balance between having a nice drive whilst concentrating on the road, occasionally glancing at the guages, or constantly watching the guages expecting something to happen, therefore spoiling your drive.

I often get asked, "Why have you got a voltmeter?".

"To see if the alternators working", I tell em.

"Don't need one of them in my car, and my cars got an alternator", they say. :D

In my day it was the more gauges the better ... also Motorola push button radios ruled ... and electric aerials, and steering wheel gloves, and big Lucas reversing lights, and fake leopard skin seat covers, and switches ... we loved switches even if they weren't connected to anything ...

ha ha those were the days

In my day it was the more gauges the better ... also Motorola push button radios ruled ... and electric aerials, and steering wheel gloves, and big Lucas reversing lights, and fake leopard skin seat covers, and switches ... we loved switches even if they weren't connected to anything ...

I remember those days well mate. Hella spots on the front and all that. Me and 3 mates swapping an engine in my Ford Capri, using a scaffold pole and some rope as an engine hoist :)

I remember those days well mate. Hella spots on the front and all that. Me and 3 mates swapping an engine in my Ford Capri, using a scaffold pole and some rope as an engine hoist :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My eldest used a scaffold pole as an exhaust on a Capri !

• Like 1

Yep, me for one. Just ticked over 70k on a 57 plate. My pressure is up at 65-70psi on cold startup. Drops down to around 30ish within a minute of warming up and stays between 20-30 on a normal drive, rising rapidly if I boot it. In stationary traffic with a warm engine it'll be really low, just above the minimum on the guage

That's a lot different to mine. From a cold start it's up around 120, and once fully warm it's 60 at 2000 rpm. Mine's done 43k.

That's a lot different to mine. From a cold start it's up around 120, and once fully warm it's 60 at 2000 rpm. Mine's done 43k.

Something doesn't seem right there then does it.