Flashy Lights

Dicky

Just bought and fitted a Velleman mini kit, 3rd brake light flasher. I'm behind the times so your probably all miles ahead and already no about them. Anyway it causes the 3rd led brake light to flash before turning on fully. I find it a great idea since it gives added warning to anyone behind and let's face it most cars end up behind the Z!

Hope this video clip works as I've had a bit of a struggle. If it does work it may appear that the leds flashing is a bit blurry, but that's due to the limitations of my iPhone camera. The flashing is in fact nice and crisp.

trim.5C7E5965-0D13-411D-B07F-43595CD7A825.MOV

I'd drive into someone on purpose if they had that in front of me. Irritating, distracting, downright annoying.

Manufacturers make their cars flash hazards when under very hard braking (my truck does it) which is fine as those lights are designed to flash, but that is just something else. Sorry mate, but I not agree with that install at all. It also will fail the MOT.

Edited by Ekona

So you were able to view the video because I'm unable to (bloody technology or maybe daft me).

So your not impressed, Oh well each to there own. I was going to check if the were legal but not got around to it yet. The kit only cost around £8 so not much lost if I have to remove it

I'm pretty sure I've seen Porsche GT3s and BMW M cars flash their brake lights under hard braking (at the 'ring).

They flash when the abs kicks in

Yep, I just reread the OPs post and see what Ekona was saying... If it flashes before you brake hard then it's just a needless distraction to other drivers.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Porsche GT3s and BMW M cars flash their brake lights under hard braking (at the 'ring).

On video (like YT), all LEDs seem to flash because of the refresh rate. They may well come on if under very hard braking as well, it's just that they look like they're doing it all the time on video.

So you were able to view the video because I'm unable to (bloody technology or maybe daft me).

I did mate, I wasn't sure it would work but happily it does let you download MOVs from here :thumbs:

I think it's a good idea in principle as long as it only came on when braking hard. If you could somehow connect it to the ABS system so it flashed when that was active, that would work pretty well.

On video (like YT), all LEDs seem to flash because of the refresh rate. They may well come on if under very hard braking as well, it's just that they look like they're doing it all the time on video.

First time I saw it I thought someone was doing some funky trick with the brakes, good thing a friend explained before I went on to the 'ring and tried to replicate it in the 350 :lol:

• Like 1

Amen to something but fudge that video! Those flashy lights helped no one! Was he gradually slowing down? Was it a slam? If you're braking your lights should be on!

Oh Matt.... that is the point, if the lights flash then the ABS is on and the car is braking HARD! That's why the OP got a bit of short shrift because if you were behind him and his brake lots flashed you could put the anchors on and get rear ended while the OP just carries on as he only touched his brakes...

Amen to something but fudge that video! Those flashy lights helped no one! Was he gradually slowing down? Was it a slam? If you're braking your lights should be on!

Oh Matt.... that is the point, if the lights flash then the ABS is on and the car is braking HARD! That's why the OP got a bit of short shrift because if you were behind him and his brake lots flashed you could put the anchors on and get rear ended while the OP just carries on as he only touched his brakes...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

To be fair, the Youtube video doesn't do it justice, I.e. camera, light glare etc - Makes it hard to judge. I just think flashing a bright light in my eyes isn't going to help :lol:

I'd rather (and I'm sure there is a car that does this) brake lights that get brighter with more pressure on the braking.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

To be fair, the Youtube video doesn't do it justice, I.e. camera, light glare etc - Makes it hard to judge. I just think flashing a bright light in my eyes isn't going to help :lol:

I'd rather (and I'm sure there is a car that does this) brake lights that get brighter with more pressure on the braking.

I think all lights should have rings of LED's that illuminate from the centre outwards, more LED's illuminated means harder braking.

• Like 1

No. It's delivered as a printed circuit board along with components and you build it yourself. You then insert it into the wiring to your existing rear brake light ( the LED one at the top of the rear windscreen) and it makes it flash( programmable) when you hit the break. It flashes about ten times then goes on solid and doesn't flash again until after 7 s otherwise it comes on solid again. It's like the one in

Pjf1985 clip above

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yeah my video clip doesn't do it justice. To much glare and the leds don't seem to flicker very well. In practice the transition from on to off is crisp. You can program them to flash 5 or 10 times (mines set to 10) before reverting to solid. If you brake again within 7 secs the come on solid as in normal operation. Apparently you can have them flas each time you brake if you prefer.

I actually have this on my zed (through my converted rear bumper with 370z fog light)

I got a box of tricks and basically ive got like 5 settings it can flash like a rain light or do that 3-10 flash business when braking and is meant to be wired to my abs light so it flickers when that comes on (haven't got that far yet)

Anyway I generally just leave it on normal fog light :lol: but nice to know I have the options

plus any red flashing light is illegal in the UK supposedly :shrug:

Edited by jumping350