Package arrived - Cobra

Pritchard

So a box arived today.

i bought the Z because i wanted a nice V6 in my life... so natrually, an exhaust was on the shopping list before i even picked the right car.

now, I have one of these in my living room...

going onto this... The Pumpkin

which should sound like this...

i do a little sex-wee every time i hear it.

im sure youv all heard it before, but i just had to tell someone !! lol. :)

its like AA - i just want to share.

Pritchard

post-23246-0-01848800-1415314329_thumb.jpg

post-23246-0-30052000-1415314333_thumb.jpg

yes non-resonted. iv spent hours listening to all sorts on youtube (with good bassy headphones) trying to find a good one.

i found alot of them sound too high pitched. loud is good, i like loud. but, i like a deeper tone.

the cobra compared to others seemed to tick the box.

oh, yea thanks to Cougar Store for really quick turnaround! shame i busted my ankle the next day. cant drive her now :(

**Edit, Cougar Store! lol.

Edited by Pritchard

yes non-resonted. iv spent hours listening to all sorts on youtube (with good bassy headphones) trying to find a good one.

i found alot of them sound too high pitched. loud is good, i like loud. but, i like a deeper tone.

the cobra compared to others seemed to tick the box.

oh, yea thanks to Cougar Store for really quick turnaround! shame i busted my ankle the next day. cant drive her now :(

**Edit, Cougar Store! lol.

If you like loud you're going to be very happy. Take it through a town centre somewhere - it turns heads like anything. Tunnels are also fun - it sounds bonkers. I got mine from CS as well - they're good guys there.

• Like 1

Had my resonated fitted Wednesday, sounds sooo much better, quite a warm sound if that makes sense. Though part of me wishes I went non res for the hooligan in me! Is it significantly louder if you hear them back to back I wonder, videos never tell a true story.

Main problem with stock exhaust is how quiet they are at the bottom end of the rev range, this sorts it right out!

Tempted to do the cats and y pipe now to see how that sounds, shame HFC are so pricy! Almost tempting to go de cats, and take stock cats when you go for an mot and just pay for them to be swapped over and back again each year

I wimped out and got a resonated cobra, but compared to the standard exhaust its still night and day. resonated is still plenty loud enough for me, not offensive round town but lovely in enclosed spaces (tunnels, underground carparks etc)

but would agree with getting the pipes cut back when fitting, as standard the tips sit about an inch too far out in my opinion.

Rotated the clamps today out of view and pushed them further in closer to the car. They no longer stick out as much, look fine on the inside where the pipe comes through.

I hav noticed after a drive to Southampton to see my brother this weekend that I get cabin drone between 2k to 2.5k rpm. So around 60mph in 6th will be a drone zone.

So its not completely drone free, but it wasn't difficult to work around it.

Oh and I'm not meaning to sound negative, just giving a very honest opinion, I do love the way it sounds and it was a bargain with the group buy from CS, overall I am very pleased and impressed with its quality, both in fitment and build.

Cheers

Mike

well, its getting fitted today :-) cant wait.

iv heard a scorpion and a resonated cobra in the flesh now. both sound nice. and quite deep sounding sounds. but, just too quiet for me.

if i can be tech savvy enough to do it ill upload a video of it later :)

Pritchard

Edited by Pritchard

Its fitted.

its too quiet. :ninja: !!

Sounds really good, really tasteful. just drove 300 miles to and from Loughborough for a driving experience (Ariel Atom and McLaren MP4!! woop) so gave it a good run.

there was no exhaust drone in cabin. i didnt even have to raise my voice to talk, i could hear everything the missus said ( :surrender: ).

Its a great peice of kit. nice and loud through a tunnel. and between buildings. but iv noticed its almost silent when coasting down - no de-acceleration growl at all.

so yea. its awesome. just too quiet for what i was after..... de-cats and manifolds it is. :)

Pritchard

its the Single-pipe > back. (so, OEM Y-pipe in place).

i've had some lairy projects previously, so its relative for me. no worries though, time to work forwards towards the engine.

still really happy with it. just needs more decibels.

*editied, meant Single-pipe.

Edited by Pritchard

I don't think the resonated cobra is particularly loud tbh, but it sounds loads better than standard and that was what I was after. Then again I am used to an e39 540i bmw (4.4l v8), which was near enough a straight through if it wasn't for the back box, loud!

How you think a non res doesn't drone I'll never know! Get the resonated version at the wrong revs on cruise, i.e 2-2.5k and its pretty droney, unless with the res its all droney and you can't tell the difference :p

my last exhaust system was a long 4-1 racing manifold with decat and short exit pipe - on a 7,500rpm Rover K series. so, that is my most recent comparison.

... its very quiet, to me.

:)

although in seriousness, 'drone', i really would have to say it was very quiet on the motoway. went through the 50mph averages on the M1 also and was fine. only thing i would refer to as drone was when i put my foot too close to the floor in too high a gear when trying to accelerate. but even when using cruise control up and down undulations, very peaceful.

could hold a conversation as normally as before. :)

I've just had the resonated cobra fitted and agree with much of what's already been said - it's much louder than the stock exhaust but not so loud that I've had any complaints from the neighbors yet when firing it up early in the morning!

I've also found the deep rumble at lower revs but wouldn't describe it as a "drone" - it's actually a nice deep and full sound if that makes any sense! On mine however, it's only present when accelerating so when I'm cruising on the motorway it generally goes pretty quiet. My issue is that it's encouraging me to put my foot down more often just to listen to it!

If you want loud do what I did; Japspeed K1 and Berks decats, it is loud but means I rarely get people tailgating me now as it makes their car vibrate lol

It can drive you nuts if you just want a "quiet" drive, but I just put the bungs in (particularly when leaving early morning or getting home late as I quite like my neighbours!), it has an awesome rumble when shifting down gears or just letting the engine slow itself down rather than braking. If you can't handle vibrations its not the one for you (everything vibrates and I have the rear sound deadened lol). Accelerating slowly uphill is the worst and the droning can be pretty harsh but I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me, hard accelerating at Santa Pod it sounded amazing, but I do tend to say she's "all mouth, no trousers" as it sounds like its going a lot faster than it really is lol

its the Single-pipe > back. (so, OEM Y-pipe in place).

i've had some lairy projects previously, so its relative for me. no worries though, time to work forwards towards the engine.

still really happy with it. just needs more decibels.

*editied, meant Single-pipe.

Id get the Y pipe replaced, I would think this will help with the noise factor, oh and a set of HFCs as well