Oil Light flashed on - bought car yesterday from dealer!

MikeM1986a

Am I potentially getting ahead of myself here by the way? Given the car drives seemingly fine, if I replace the oil and the pressure goes up - possibly even get an oil change - then may it be the case that the car will be fine anyway, with perhaps just a little wear and tear?

Am I potentially getting ahead of myself here by the way? Given the car drives seemingly fine, if I replace the oil and the pressure goes up - possibly even get an oil change - then may it be the case that the car will be fine anyway, with perhaps just a little wear and tear?

Perhaps, but it may be a ticking time bomb.

Once you have the oil level sorted, will you be confident enough to give it some beans ???

Considering what you have signed and with no written warranty then I think that you are unfortunately shafted mate.

Get it checked by an independent motor engineer, at least he will check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, that way it will either put your mind at rest or not, changing the oil grade will simply mask things, if the oil pressure remains below the limits in the manual then I'm afraid you do have a problem....but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, good luck!

It all depends on what the car stands you in, is it worth all the

grief and your not sure if you have a problem or not . I would get a service done

by an Independent Garage recommended on here and a report on condition done

Then squeeze the dealer for £500, or you will take it to the Consumer court.

Good Luck. :thumbs:

Edited by WhackyWill

I though even a private sale of a SH vehicle still had to be fit for purpose? although I think your now going to have to resort to having it examined by a qualified technician in order to prove this.

Did you sign anything stating that you bought having tested and approved..

No, there is no implied term as to the fitness for purpose in private sales. There is an implied term as to the title, ie the seller must actually own the car, but that is about it. The only resort that you might have in private sale cases is in misrepresentation, meaning that, for example, if the seller told you (or in an ad) that the mileage is 50k, but it actually is 100k, then you can have a remedy. Otherwise it is buyer beware.

I said that, as a hypothetical, if the mechanic, whoever that may be, comes back and does say it's an underlying issue with the engine would he refund it, to which he said he'd rather get it repaired which he's in his right to do - and rightly so, albeit imagine it would be quite a hefty cost.

It is not his right to do so unless you are deemed to have accepted the car. There are 2 different scenarios here: 1. You have accepted the car and there is a problem in which case he can repair and 2. You have not accepted the car, in which case you have the right to return it if any conditions of the contract of sale are broken, which includes implied condition of fitness in SGA1979.

Yes I did, it sold said as tested. Also there's no paperwork referring to the guarantee, but regardless if it's seen as a sale from a dealer then, whether there's paperwork or not, they have to offer a standard warranty as per trading standards regs.

Correct, but not "as per trading standards regs", but as per the Sale of Goods Act 1979. And not really a warranty, but close enough I guess.

Edited by comrade
  • Like 1

Yes I did, it sold said as tested. Also there's no paperwork referring to the guarantee, but regardless if it's seen as a sale from a dealer then, whether there's paperwork or not, they have to offer a standard warranty as per trading standards regs.

You don't have any kind of warranty. No paperwork = no warranty. You're now relying 100% on SOGA and fit for purpose.

WHERE DID YOU BUY THE CAR FROM? GARAGE FORECOURT, YOUR HOUSE, RANDOM ROAD IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE...?

And stop looking at the pressure, that's not your problem here! It may go up, or it may stay the same, or it may fly off the scale. That could be reading incorrectly, it's the lack of physical oil in your sump that's the issue here.

How much oil was in it exactly ? Was it near the empty line ? Or barely on the dip stick ? Did you push dip stick in fully ? They are a bit tricky. I would check oil properly then gather all my evidence if their is a problem including all conversations in writing between you and the dealer, paperwork, bank statements, adverts, his registered business number, then inform trading standards of your intent to open a case. They will advise you to talk to the dealer first, do this and tell him you have opened a case. He may buckle, he may not. Then go from there.

And stop looking at the pressure, that's not your problem here! It may go up, or it may stay the same, or it may fly off the scale. That could be reading incorrectly, it's the lack of physical oil in your sump that's the issue here.

Doesn't the oil light come on when the pressure drops below the pressure safety threshold? if so it still could be down to a bad sensor...trying to throw the guy a lifeline here.

I like this Comrade guy. He knows his onions.

I actually studied that stuff at the uni. Should be taught at schools to everyone, in my opinion. There are way too many misconceptions going on.

:thumbs: I did the same at A-level, I figured that you'd probably studied this somewhere given your response.

Bought it from an independent dealer in Birmingham, rather not give out his name as don't want it to seem slanderous if nothing major in the end.

Went to his property, which clearly doubles up as a place of business as have number of vehicles there in state of repair etc. and for sale.

It is my stupid fault for not getting quite clearly in writing the warranty and cover and for it to state quite clearly it's buying from a dealer - an issue that he's skirted around up until now. However not checking the oil was crazy but he'd said to me circa 2-3 times he's done the levels so they're all sorted....

As a thinking ahead / worst case scenario - if the engine does go, what would the cost be for a replacement and the labour involved to put in a used one?

In all honesty, I think it will be fine. Aslong as there was some oil in it, enough to be on the dipstick I imagine in your ownership you wont see a problem ( maybe later on in its life) depending on the time your hoping to keep it. Its surprising the abuse modern engines can take. My misses has regurlarly been pottering about with very little oil as she believes cars are immune to any sort of damage.

As a thinking ahead / worst case scenario - if the engine does go, what would the cost be for a replacement and the labour involved to put in a used one?

In all honesty, I think it will be fine. Aslong as there was some oil in it, enough to be on the dipstick I imagine in your ownership you wont see a problem ( maybe later on in its life) depending on the time your hoping to keep it. Its surprising the abuse modern engines can take. My misses has regurlarly been pottering about with very little oil as she believes cars are immune to any sort of damage.

Mike

Change the oil/filter. If the problem disappears then you are in a waiting game. If it does not, then we can discuss your options. I understand your worries, but there is no point in overthinking hypothetical scenarios and getting wound up about it. For all we know, it might be the most reliable car you ever owned.

The answer to this question is in post #21

Do you not read your replies ?

• Like 1

Didn't know if that was the total cost, or just the cost of a used engine - assuming total then?

Total + any other parts that you decide to swop out when you are in there.

Add another £700.00 for a clutch and fly.

• Like 1