Small Problem

Kaveney

I have said the Mrs can drive my 350Z for the week but she has just phoned up saying it has run out of fuel ( I did say fill up as I don't think the needle is reading correct ) .

I have one the fuel sender clean but since doing that the needle will only go down to quarter of a tank and no lower .

Have I over cleaned the strip or have I trapped the float on something .

The guage does go down as it was on half way and went down to quarter of a tank .

Alan

Alan, someone will come along shortly and provide you with some useful information. none of us that have posted are in such a position!!! so hold out a couple more hours and I am sure it will be sorted... no doubt ZMANALEX can help

• Like 1

Alan, someone will come along shortly and provide you with some useful information. none of us that have posted are in such a position!!! so hold out a couple more hours and I am sure it will be sorted... no doubt ZMANALEX can help

+1 or google search as this has come up before

Providing that the gauge is not faulty and the senders are not fooked then if may be that one of the floats is stuck or you have bent the float wire.

What happens to the gauge when you disconnect the looms to the senders?

Have you refitted the senders properly to the fuel pump housings ?

What I would do is remove both the sender units and give them another clean.

When you have them out make sure that you have not bent the float wire on the driver's side.

Fully test them before refitting to the tank, simply by moving the float, checking the gauge with the ignition on and the looms hooked up to the senders.

Another common issue is that the float on the driver's side can become entangled with the the fuel syphon pipe if you are not careful.

Ok just for a note I think I have fixed this problem ( thanks ZMANALEX ) .

It would seem that when I cleaned he senders I trapped the float with the syphon pipe and this was the cause of the needle not going below quarter of a tank ( this was on the drivers side ) .

Removed the sender / pump ad then refitted it moving the syphon pipe out f the way . Turned car on and needle was on the red filled up with £ 40.00 an now the needle is on quarter of a tank .

Will check that the needle goes down but think this has sorted the problem .

Alan