Hole In Y-Pipe

pjf1985

So had my car in today for its MOT and they have got it through but I have a hole in my Y-Pipe which must be why it has been louder lately!

So I either need to get it welded or get a new one. Opinions anyone? Don't want to spend loads on it right now. If I buy a new one does the brand matter too much? Seen Japspeed ones quite cheap....but are they alright?

Cheers.

Edited by pjf1985
  • Like 1

Personally I would take the opportunity to upgrade. Although welding would be a good temporary fix for the time being, assuming they dont want to charge too much for that.

The MOT place does welding im assuming? did they say how much it would be just to repair it? If you are not wanting to spend out too much atm, and they are only going to charge £30 say then yeah get it welded (for now) if not an upgrade is due, and if you are doing that bear in mine the forums negatives thoughts on japspeed (though I have no experience with the brand myself) and go with a popular more recommended system like cobra? Least you know you will have no more bother and quality and fitment should be good too! :)

• Like 1

Yes japspeed has got a bad rep due to bad figment issues. speaking from experience having Had the K2 system (which was wonky !) The y pipe wasn't too bad at all , I had it on my car for 3 years and only removed it when I changed to a true dual system and it was still in good nick and sold it on to another member.

• Like 1

Personally I would take the opportunity to upgrade. Although welding would be a good temporary fix for the time being, assuming they dont want to charge too much for that.

The MOT place does welding im assuming? did they say how much it would be just to repair it? If you are not wanting to spend out too much atm, and they are only going to charge £30 say then yeah get it welded (for now) if not an upgrade is due, and if you are doing that bear in mine the forums negatives thoughts on japspeed (though I have no experience with the brand myself) and go with a popular more recommended system like cobra? Least you know you will have no more bother and quality and fitment should be good too! :)

I will ask my mate if he can weld it for me first and see how bad it has rusted, thanks for the advice. Just thought that most products would be the same bar maybe some weight differences.

I've got an HR OEM Y-Pipe you can have for free if you collect it yourself... It's got 70k on it and the flexi's have taken some abuse, but no holes and free! South Oxfordshire.

Thanks a lot for the offer but would probably cost me quite a bit in petrol to collect it

Yes japspeed has got a bad rep due to bad figment issues. speaking from experience having Had the K2 system (which was wonky !) The y pipe wasn't too bad at all , I had it on my car for 3 years and only removed it when I changed to a true dual system and it was still in good nick and sold it on to another member.

Thanks mate. Don't want to be paying big bucks on a Y-Pipe right now and if fitment is ok then I might consider Japspeed or something