A thank you to the Toyota Motor Corporation

NeilMH

In an attempt to win the "Most Boring Post of the Year" prize I would like to record my thanks to The Toyota Motor Corporation.

In the last couple of weeks our 21 and 22 year old Corollas both sailed through the MOT with no advisories (as they have done every other year). When you think about the number of components that make up a car, that is quite impressive. The only non-service related part I have ever had to replace has been a radiator (stone through it) and the lever that opens the boot. We have owned one from new and the other for many years.

T'is a shame that Toyota these days are a bit lame. I wish they'd do a new GT-four again, or something that is a bit naughty at least.

Seems the days of rally reps are well and truly over, i am sure i read the other day Mitsubishi have no intention of any more Evos :(

Gt86 was a good effort to grab a little bit of a fun focussed car back, but for me, it just seemed too expensive and they perhaps over estimated the amount of people that did actually want a fine handling, na, rwd car.

Lets hope they release the FT1/Supra and put something sensible in it and most importantly of all, its well priced as if it looks anything like the below and has some performance it will sell by the bucket load.

I would take that any day over a GTR if it was the same money and even if it was not as quick :)

toyotaft1_zps4cd65a34.jpg

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 2

T'is a shame that Toyota these days are a bit lame. I wish they'd do a new GT-four again, or something that is a bit naughty at least.

Seems the days of rally reps are well and truly over, i am sure i read the other day Mitsubishi have no intention of any more Evos :(

Gt86 was a good effort to grab a little bit of a fun focussed car back, but for me, it just seemed too expensive and they perhaps over estimated the amount of people that did actually want a fine handling, na, rwd car.

Lets hope they release the FT1/Supra and put something sensible in it and most importantly of all, its well priced as if it looks anything like the below and has some performance it will sell by the bucket load.

I would take that any day over a GTR if it was the same money and even if it was not as quick :)

toyotaft1_zps4cd65a34.jpg

very true jetpilot. I'd take it over the GTR too. I think it looks superb and isn't such an obvious choice.

Yeah, thanks Toyota ... for selling me a brand new MR2 where the engine only lasted 50k miles. Thanks for refusing to acknowledge there was an engine problem. Thanks for finally acknowledging the engine problem but will only rebuild engines less than 7 years old which just happened to not include the first editions (pre 2003) which contained the problem. Yeah, thanks Toyota, thanks a f**king bunch.

Sorry, not had a great experience with Toyota.

• Like 1

Yeah, thanks Toyota ... for selling me a brand new MR2 where the engine only lasted 50k miles. Thanks for refusing to acknowledge there was an engine problem. Thanks for finally acknowledging the engine problem but will only rebuild engines less than 7 years old which just happened to not include the first editions (pre 2003) which contained the problem. Yeah, thanks Toyota, thanks a f**king bunch.

Sorry, not had a great experience with Toyota.

:lol: i'm sorry, i'm not laughing at you, just how you put it. Wonderful! I hope you told that to them on the phone or to someone at Toyota.

• Like 1

Ah, but did you remove the precats Codders? ;)

I'm guessing oil ring failure then. Shame, but not uncommon sadly. I had to write to head office to get my manifold changed on a FL car, as my local dealer wouldn't cover it.

Personally, I don't believe precats are the cause, they are a symptom. As soon as my car started burning oil I had the precats removed and they were in perfect condition. Post 2003 had engine mods but still had the precats. They had far less problems.

There was a silver lining though ... I went 2zz! :yahoo:

The car should've at least had the option for 2zz from the start.

There are two issues: Early cars had oil ring problems which caused hot oil to pass onto the precats, which in turn broke up and got sucked back in and knackered the rings more which cause more oil to pass etc.

The other problem is that the precats were made of very cheap ceramic material, and tended to break up very easily on their own. They then got sucked back in, etc.

FL cars don't have the ring issue, but they'll always have the precat one. 2ZZ option would've been useless, at the time the MR2 was already more expensive than the MX5 and was much less practical, no-one bought them at the price they were up at and a 2ZZ would've been at least £5K more. No-one would've bought that either! :lol: Well, you and I would, but Toyota would've lost a fortune on it. If the TTET kit had been out with the FL then that would've helped, but it didn't launch until just before they stopped selling the car, and even then only in a handful of places. :(

2ZZ option would've been useless, at the time the MR2 was already more expensive than the MX5 and was much less practical, no-one bought them at the price they were up at and a 2ZZ would've been at least £5K more. No-one would've bought that either! :lol: Well, you and I would, but Toyota would've lost a fortune on it. If the TTET kit had been out with the FL then that would've helped, but it didn't launch until just before they stopped selling the car, and even then only in a handful of places. :(

I see it differently. I think they would have sold more as the only competition would have been the Boxster (too expensive) and the Elise (too uncomfortable). I think there was a gap in the market ... but we'll never really know.

Nah, I can't see it: You'd have the same situation we have now with the 370Z, the TT and the Boxster. Put the specs on paper and the 370Z is the winner, but people are still paying more and buying the premium slower version.

I totally agree with you though, there was a huge gap in the market for that car, and the swap was so simple in terms of engineering it really wouldn't have cost them that much to develop it.

• Like 1