Humming/droning noise from rear

kano

Guys,

Any idea what this noise could be? You can't hear anything below about 40mph and then it starts as a low drone and gets louder with speed. It comes from the near side rear area. If I coast in neutral the noise is still there. Also still there if I apply the brakes slightly, or weave from side to side.

What I've ruled out so far:

Wheel bearing (I had it replaced with a new hub)

Diff oil, replaced with nissan oem fluids

Gearbox oil, also replaced with nissan oem oil and molyslip

Changed the wheel for a spare wheel off another set

Replaced the discs and pads with Stoptech

Tyres are fairly new with out 1000 miles on them. Fronts have about 15k on them but still have 4mm and a slight bit of inner edge wear. Exhaust is pretty new too, an OEM one with about 5000 miles on it, from the CATS back.

I recently had a banana arm changed on the noisy side, not sure if the noise was there before the arm was changed.

Here's an audo recording of the noise, best heard about 1 minute into the clip.

http://yourlisten.com/kayno/350zdrone

My next theory is the alignment is off and this is somehow causing the noise. I've never had the alignment checked before, its a 2004 UK spec 350z. Could this be it?

Cheers guys!

could be a small exhaust crack??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can coast in neutral and the noise stays the same, plus I can't hear the noise under about 40mph, so I think its a moving part that's causing the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion tho!

Really does sound like a bearing and they can throw you with which side the sounds coming from. Might be worth seeing if it gets worse and might show itself to be the other side?

I suppose it could be the other wheel bearing. I've read that you can't always detect play in the bearing by wobbling the wheel, and that weaving from side to side sometimes doesn't always change the sound. The only thing I'd say is that the noise does seem to come from the nearside wheel area. But who knows, it could be the other bearing. The noise is fairly faint so I might have to wait until it develops more before I can tell for sure.

How long after having the exhaust fitted did this appear, could be the heat shield above the backbox has come loose

Would't I be able to hear something rattling at lower speeds? Worth checking next weekend tho. Ta.

There is a good chance your alignment is out, especially if you've not checked it since '04. A mate of mine had an old 180SX and drifted it into a kirb (only kissed it) after that every time he drove over 30mph his tyre started squealing, this was down to his alignment being out. An extreme example i know, but just goes to show how bad alignment can affect your ZED.

Could be the diff? Have you tried cornering at speed and loading up the diff to see if the tone of the noise changes or if it stops altogether?

wouldn't it do the same if it was a bearing ? are you thinking lash or bushes ?

Edited by GIXXERUK

Could be the diff? Have you tried cornering at speed and loading up the diff to see if the tone of the noise changes or if it stops altogether?

wouldn't it do the same if it was a bearing ? are you thinking lash or bushes ?

Ah perhaps - I know I had a similar issue in the past (not on the Zed) and I used that to pin point it.

I've tried loading up each side by swerving, doesn't really make much difference to the noise. I've also but the car in neutral at 70mph and that doesn't make any difference either, so that sort of rules out wheel bearings, gearbox, exhaust. Diffs are supposed to be fairly bulletproof aren't they? When I changed the diff oil the old stuff came out of the fill hole initially so it's always had plenty of oil.

• 5 weeks later...

Just changed the drive shaft for a 2nd hand one from ebay. Noise is still there! So far I've:

Changed the drive shaft

Changed the wheel bearing and hub

Changed the discs and pads

Changed the diff and gearbox fluids with the correct nissan ones

Changed the ARB drop links

Had a full 4 wheel laser alignment

Ruled out tyres/balancing by swapping all 4 wheels with a spare set I have.

Anyone have any other ideas/avenues for investigation? I'm stumped!

The trouble with noises in cars, is its very hard to pinpoint them, I have seen so many different causes of a noise that the driver is certain its only coming from the rear of the car, if you then ask the passenger he will say its coming from somewhere completely different, so yes its completely possible.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Long time ago Kano I know, but did you ever find out what was making the noise?

Yes mate, its was just a wheel bearing!

The reason why it was so hard to diagnose was because the noise was coming from the rear passenger side, but it was actually the rear drivers side bearing that had gone. There wasn't any play in the bearing either. I took the wheel and pads off, then as soon as I turned the disk it became obvious the bearing was shot. With the pads rubbing against the disk masked a grinding noise.

I got a full replacement hub and bearing from Febest for quite cheap, got my local garage to press them together for £10, it then becomes a fairly straightforward advanced DIY job.

• 2 months later...

Hi Kano.

Out of frustration, i decided this morning, to Google "Humming noise from the rear Nissan 350Z" and was happy to see you posts and responses. I am from South Africa and also have a 2004 350Z. I immediately signed up to www.350z-uk.com in order to write to you. I have the exact symptoms you described. I suspected it was a bearing but was not sure whether it was the right or the left rear. I went to Nissan and requested a rear bearing. I asked whether it made a difference in purchasing either a right or left and was told they were the same. After receiving the bearing i noticed "RR bearing" (Right Rear?) on the box. They are different aren't they? Right Rear and Left Rear? Or are they the same? I haven't replaced the bearing yet and now after reading your posts, i think i should just replace both sides.

Regards

• 7 months later...

I have the exact same issue at the moment. I jacked the car up and noticed some play in the FNS bearing, so fitted a replacement hub kit - guess what, the noise is still notable (although perhaps not quite as loud).

No other notable play in any of the other bearings, but I reckon one them must also be on the way out - frustrating!