Wheel Spacers

Dicky

Can anyone say for sure when fitting wheel spacers if it adversely affects the wheel alignment causing uneven tyre wear, ie is it essential to have full wheel alignment carried out after fitting them?

I fitted 20mm spacers all around some time ago and have noticed uneven tyre wear (wearing faster on the outside of each wheel) but not sure if it was there before I fitted the spacers (dopey I know).

I've had the tracking checked recently at the main dealers and another tyre fitting establishment and both say the tracking is spot on.

Would it be better to get full wheel alignment done. By the way the guy at the tyre fitters ( his own business) said you should have your tracking checked annually. Does that sound like good advice.

I fitted 20mm on the front and 25mm on the rear and have had the tracking checked 3 times - once when I first fitted them and twice since then. I still suffered from higher wear on the inside edges of the fronts. Rears were OK.

The reason I had the tracking checked twice since I put the spacers on was the 'advisory' on my last MOT about the wear, and the only thing I could put it down to was the spacers.

I had a full alignment check done about 2 years ago when Abbey fitted the BC Racing coilovers, but that was before I put the spacers on, so pretty confident that everything was nigh on perfect before I added the spacers.

Thanks ianphampton for your reply. My tyre wear is on the outside of both front wheels and I'm concerned because it won't be long before I have to get new tyres and I don't want to scrub them off straight away.

This wheel alignment malarkie is quite complex as far as I can gather and I can't find anyone in the Newcastle or North East who is expert in this field.

If anyone in the north east knows of a place I'd appreciate it if you would let me know.

Just been looking around on the net and find that lots of different cars suffer the same problem and their owners, like me are puzzled because all car components are oem, they've had tracking and wheel alignment checked and found to be ok. So what's going on?

What's the point of having mechanical steering geometry settings adjusted spot on when the tyre itself is in the wrong position on the road!

Is it possible to ignore manufacturer settings and make mechanical adjustments to get the tyre itself sat correctly on the road?

If you look at it this way....although you may have OEM suspension and settings you have still changed the basic set up that the car was designed around, it changes the center point of the roiling radius of the wheels/tyres and moves it further out, so the scrub radius of the steering wheels is changed, and the suspension loading is also changed slightly, also because the whole footprint is pushed further out it really needs the geometry resetting to take all this into consideration, a dedicated racer would probably be able to come up with some more suitable settings.

Thanks Tricky, what you say makes sense, however went along to National Tyres this afternoon and they say the spacers would make no differance so long as the tracking is right.

Problem is you just don't know who to rely on, go to three different tyre fitters and you'll probably get three different diagnosis.

Your average tyre/geometry setting garage wouldn't have a clue, if you go to one of the US Z forums I am pretty sure there are some settings knocking about that where worked out for spacers both with and without suspension mods.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

I apologise for the dumb question as I've only recently realized what spacers are.

Why do people fit spacers?

I had mine fitted for cosmetic reasons F25/R20 they push the wheels out giving a wider stance which helps the wheels appear to fill the arches better :)

• Like 1

I apologise for the dumb question as I've only recently realized what spacers are.

I had mine fitted for cosmetic reasons F25/R20 they push the wheels out giving a wider stance which helps the wheels appear to fill the arches better :)

Yep +1

Your average tyre/geometry setting garage wouldn't have a clue, if you go to one of the US Z forums I am pretty sure there are some settings knocking about that where worked out for spacers both with and without suspension mods.

Cheers Tricky, will do

......The Trouser, on 03 October 2014 - 20:43, said:

Here's a couple of before/after pics

Before spacers fitted

F1B4FBD1-F0CA-4AA8-BE59-641FEDB5946A_zpsavzliodv.jpg

70A93D5F-5D52-4311-BCC4-E160767518D5_zpski9iidet.jpg

After spacers fitted

55D4FBA0-5302-41BA-B39D-E9B5C8C2CBF0_zpsjz7zuy78.jpg

974A9AAD-17AB-404F-BEFD-A13C9346FBA9_zps8gsypqdk.jpg

25F/20R good result IMO as the wheels tend to get a little lost in the massive arches :teeth:

Edited by tatooandy67

I think spacers look great.

But I've never bothered because I've also thought they must adversely effect the handling?

Is there a big difference?

Another reason I fitted 20mm spacers all around is because I spun the car one day not long after I got it. Admittedly it was a bit wet but I was following a citrone around this long bend, matching his speed when the car suddenly flip around.

After fitting them the car feels so much more planted and trustworthy and I've never spun again even on the same corner travelling faster.

I would now hate to have to take them off for any reason.

• Like 1

Yep +1

+ 2.

That's really surprised me. I always assumed the manufacturer knew best and it wasn't a good idea to mess around with as it would ruin the handling.

Looks like I'm going to do my first mod :) I've not even got a stubby.

Which are the best size and brand for oem Rays?

Thanks

• Like 1

That's really surprised me. I always assumed the manufacturer knew best and it wasn't a good idea to mess around with as it would ruin the handling.

Thanks

20/25 is what most people fit, I have eibach spacers from CS but im sure tarmacsportz and clark motorsport sell spacers aswell :thumbs:

Edited by GIXXERUK
  • Like 2

Thanks

20/25 is what most people fit, I have eibach spacers from CS but im sure tarmacsportz and clark motorsport sell spacers aswell :thumbs:

There's a group buy going down on spacers at the moment, check and see if its still running

very good price, I fitted these and they are perfect. :thumbs:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/90269-ts-350370z-20mm-and-25mm-spacers-group-buy-100/

• Like 1

Thanks

Looked at that will, I think it's ended, only ran for 2 weeks

There's a group buy going down on spacers at the moment, check and see if its still running

very good price, I fitted these and they are perfect. :thumbs:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/90269-ts-350370z-20mm-and-25mm-spacers-group-buy-100/

• Like 1