DAS Polisher

Sy1441

Picked up a Kestrel Das 6 Polisher with 3 pads (all used once) at a bargain price. Gonna practice on my old dears astra which is black and one big swirl. Anyone use one and what products do you use with it. Currently i've got Farecla G3 and some Autoglym high resin polish.

Edited by Sy1441

Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish are a good and very easy and forgiving to use two step polishing system. In fact, the Compound finishes down quite nicely itself.

Bear in mind that different cars have different paint hardness, with Japanese paints having soft paints, Vauxhalls having medium hardness and German brands having hard paints. When working with a new car, always start with the least aggressive combination, and build up if needed.

• Like 1

Picked up a Kestrel Das 6 Polisher with 3 pads (all used once) at a bargain price. Gonna practice on my old dears astra which is black and one big swirl. Anyone use one and what products do you use with it. Currently i've got Farecla G3 and some Autoglym high resin polish.

G3 can be quite aggressive. It's typically used by bodyshops after the flatting stage to bring the paint back. After using G3 you'd probably want to use Farecla Ultrafina or Finess it.

I like Wolfs Chemicals for the DA. Tim at Envy might still have some in stock going cheap ......he was having a clear out when I bought mine.

• Like 1

I have a range of monza pads & menzerna polishes (which are described in #2 of the detailing world link) which have always worked well for me.

You'll do well to b@llocks it up with a DA - it takes a while to judge the pad/polish combination but always go cautious as you can polish twice but can't put paint back on!

It needs to be clean and ideally clayed first, I now use a clay mitt which is much easier, quicker and is 90% as good as a clay bar.

Make sure that you mask off all trims and sharp bits.

Above all, be patient - it will take hours to do a whole car. I often do the flat surfaces one day and do the sides another day.

Also, consider wearing ear protection as your ears can ring for hours afterwards if you don't!

Cheers for the info. Got a couple of cars to practice on before I let loose on the zed, which if I'm being honest probably doesn't actually need done. My old dears Astra was one big swirl before I used compound and polish on it, looking forward to going over it with the machine. I do have plenty of time on my hands at the moment so that's an advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk