Front Window Washers Not Working

evest

Hi all,

Unfortunately I can't make head nor tail of the service manual on this one!

- My Front wiper arms are operating normally, but no fluid is being sprayed (fluid is fully topped up).

- With headlights on the, the headlight washers are working so I think the pump is okay.

- The back wiper is working fine.

I've checked the pipes - all look okay. Without headlights on, the wipers operate but there is no sound from the pump/motor. So I'm guessing this must be a fuse or relay issue?

Anybody come across this before?

Cheers,

Steve

There are two washer bottles and three motors ~ one motor for the front windscreen wash, one motor for the rear windscreen wash and the third is a high pressure motor for the front headlight wash.

If there is fluid in the bottles and your rear window wash motor works then I'd say your front washer pump motor has had it especially if you can't hear it working when you use just the windscreen wash.

After looking at mine there is a fuse located under the front scuttle panel behind the battery but if the fuse had gone then the rear window wash wouldn't work either.

You're lucky as the front washer motor pump can be bought for around £10 odd on eBay or from Clark Motorsport if you don't mind an aftermarket unit. :thumbs:

Link: http://www.clarkmotorsport.co.uk/parts/Windscreen-Washer-Pump/488700010

• Like 2

for future referance you can access the washer pumps easily by removing the fixings of lower arch liner to bumper and folding back ...thus only needing to jack the zed but not removing the wheel......closest pump to engine on the fluid bottle is the rear screen and the furthest is the front screen pump.

Edited by buster

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget that little one way value that can get clogged up. My washer jets went "limp" and I thought the pump was shot - turned out to be the one way valve. About £2 to replace in 5 mins. You can see if yours is clogged by simply unplugging it and seeing if the pump is still putting out good flow.

• Like 1

Check the the bypass valve! As Kano said, although in my case both my motors for front and rear were shot, my bypass valve for the washers was also clogged up and not passing anything. If you can hear the motor upon activation, just check to see if the valve is clear!