Stone chips. Some big, some small. Advice and thoughts?

Jalada

My Quartz 370z has its fair share of stone chips on the front bumper, and also some of the bonnet (one in particular is quite nasty and looks like it's down to the metal, but I'm unsure). I'm not that comfortable about doing these things myself, so I'm looking for some advice:

• Is it worth doing anything about them? Is it a waste of money because more will come back? Am I at risk of rust or other problems?
  • Is the 'quartz' colour unusual enough to cause problems matching it?
  • How much might it cost to get a reasonable job done of repairing all chips? An order of magnitude thumb suck is fine because I have no idea at all!
  • Can anyone recommend somewhere near Milton Keynes that would be able to assess what would need to be done (and potentially do the work)? Ability to do a good job is more important than being cheap.

I appreciate these questions are a bit broad...

a good job would be a front end respray, you could try chipsaway or similar for a quote for a touch up repair

If you keep it polished then they wont rust but you run the risk of water getting under the lacquer and then it will rust/lift the lacquer (the bonnet)

you will always get more stone chips regardless (unless you dont drive it )

cost ? not a clue sorry

post some pics of the worst areas.........

Edited by GIXXERUK

Bonnet and Bumper won't rust (should be the same as a 350z).

Budget around £250 per panel for respray.

Some one near Milton Keynes will be better placed to give you a recommendation.

Bonnet and Bumper won't rust (should be the same as a 350z).

Budget around £250 per panel for respray.

Some one near Milton Keynes will be better placed to give you a recommendation.

the bonnet is alloy but it can rust, there have been a few reports of this .........here's one http://www.350z-uk.c...y-front-bonnet/

water getting under the lacquer is a problem, which will lift the lacquer and spread

Edited by GIXXERUK

It is a tough one. Zed`s in particular seem very prone to stone chips. The main dealer resprayed the bumper on my (4 year old at the time) zed just before i bought it and yet within 12 months of me carefully making sure i never tailgated anyone, loads of stone chips were back. You can get some touch up paint and ive seen threads where people have made quite amazing results by touching up the stone chips then sanding / polishing down etc - but it is a lot of work and i found it hard to get a good result. Only real solution is to have the bumper etc properly resprayed, knowing that in a year or so`s time they might be back.

Depending upon if you can live with them or not, it might be worth just leaving it, then having it painted before you come to sell the car in the future.

You should be fine getting a good match on the Quartz. I had a couple of bits of minor work done on mine (previous car was a Black Edition in that colour) and both pieces of work were impossible to see. That said, as always, make sure you find a reputable body shop with the right equipment and facilities, even if it means paying a bit more.

Alternatively you could give this a try. http://www.chipex.co.uk/

Edited by sipar69