Engine Clicking/Tapping

SimonPG

Hi all,

Hoping someone can shed some light on this noise coming from the engine bay

Honestly not really noticed it before, seems to get faster when revving the engine. Sorry the video is a bit rubbish!

Will check the oil as soon as the engine has cooled down - but I check it regularly and has never lost any oil in the past

Cheers

Simon

Yep, defo sounds like the fuel damper / fuel pressure regulator. Grab hold of it and it will be pulsing in time with the noise. Common issue and don't think it's anything to worry about. :)

Edit:

There are 2 of them. One to the left of the plenum and one tucked behind at the back of the engine. Look like these... If you didn't already know:

DSC02353.JPG

Edited by Paddy78

Most likely the pressure regulators but would be wise to check your belts for any frays or splits.

Had a very similar noise to this and turned out to be one of my belts (A/C belt) had started to split down one of the grooves. Was a brand new gates belt too!

Most likely the pressure regulators but would be wise to check your belts for any frays or splits.

Had a very similar noise to this and turned out to be one of my belts (A/C belt) had started to split down one of the grooves. Was a brand new gates belt too!

Pressure regulator is in the pump assembly (in fuel tank) on a stock 350 ;)

Pressure regulator is in the pump assembly (in fuel tank) on a stock 350 ;)

I mean these things :blush: (So these are dampers not regulators?)

DSC02353.JPG

Edited by longsh07

Thanks for all the info guys, really helpful

Checked oil this morning and half way between max and min

Would there be any reason to replace these other than to fix the noise? What would I be looking at parts & labour? (may be a q for Alex)