Using G3 Clay Mitt + Lubricant Advice

KurtB

Afternoon,

After reading a few good reviews on here and on Detailing World I decided to try a Farecla G3 Clay Mitt on my parents car as it could do with claying. The packaging recommends using the G3 Bodyshop detailer as a lubricant, but Halfords had run out so I purchased some Autoglym Rapid Detailer, as it states on the bottle that it can also be used as clay lubricant (albeit for a Autoglym clay bar)

Can anyone see any problems or harm that may arise from using two different companies products together? I think they should be alright but thought I'd throw it out there! I have attached some links so you can see which products I mean!

Thanks,

Kurt

Mitt - http://www.g3pro.com/product/body-prep-clay-mitt/

Recommended Lube - http://www.g3pro.com/product/g3-bodyshop-detailer/

Autoglym Detailer - http://www.autoglym.com/products/products/rapid-detailer

The AG QD will be fine. You can also use your usual car shampoo mix - I appreciate this doesn't really help you now as you've bought the QD, but worth remembering when you run out as it saves you buying more.

Also remember to break the clay mitt in on the glass before doing the paintwork for the first time too.

The AG QD will be fine. You can also use your usual car shampoo mix - I appreciate this doesn't really help you now as you've bought the QD, but worth remembering when you run out as it saves you buying more.

Also remember to break the clay mitt in on the glass before doing the paintwork for the first time too.

Cheers for that. Would you say it is better using the detailer or the shampoo then? ( I use the Autoglym shampoo when cleaning the car). I assumed when I bought it the detailer would be better as it mentioned it on the back of the mitt packet. I've used a normal clay bar before and that came with a lubricant similar I imagine to what I have just bought.

Also I'm guessing to use the mitt in straight lines following contours where possible yeah?

Edited by KurtB

Don't use dodo juice qd.... It took all the clay off the MIT and smeared over the wife's bonnet

Is the dodo juice qd particularly aggressive/harsh? Or could this be a problem I could expect with the Autoglym one too? After ilogikal mentioning the shampoo and you mentioning this I'm starting to lean towards using shampoo as lubricant now! It was hard enough trying to get hold of the mitt in the first place so I would rather not destroy this one! :lol:

I used the mitt on my wife's Red MR2, and it made an awesome job, it made a massive difference to the surface and the overall look of the car, super smooth and enhanced the wax finish.

I did use the correct spray with the mitt, so maybe this was the difference.

Cheers for that. Would you say it is better using the detailer or the shampoo then? ( I use the Autoglym shampoo when cleaning the car). I assumed when I bought it the detailer would be better as it mentioned it on the back of the mitt packet. I've used a normal clay bar before and that came with a lubricant similar I imagine to what I have just bought.

Also I'm guessing to use the mitt in straight lines following contours where possible yeah?

The QD would probably be the better option, the shampoo just makes an adequate alternative but I'd expect the QD to be more lubricated. As you've got it already I'd probably use the QD myself.

And yep, straight lines is best.

Don't use dodo juice qd.... It took all the clay off the MIT and smeared over the wife's bonnet

Not heard of this before, which Dodo Juice QD did you use? There's three (that I can think of, there's probably a Supernatural one I'm forgetting too though :lol: ); Red Mist, Red Mist Tropical and Basics of Bling.

Edited by ilogikal1

It's likely to have been the solvents in that then. Red Mist is more of a spray sealant than your typical QD and it doesn't play well traditional clay bars either. Born Slippy or Basics of Bling should be okay with clay mitts (or bars) though.

That's the answer then.... Fair play it made hell of a mess on the wife's car.