Lower performance after upgrading exhaust, Y pipe and HFC's?!

addisj

Let me start by saying I know I need a remap before I will see any gains, but right now my Zed is definitely slower than it was before I fitted the following;

Fujitsubo mid pipe and back box

Cobra Y pipe

Berks HFC's

Plenum Spacer

I tried doing the Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning) pedal dance last night.

She still feels the same this morning. Bah..

You have answered your own question. .......

Although I've just noticed it wasn't a question, but a statement :lol:

You have changed the airflow characteristics of your intake and exhaust so the fueling will be all over the place. As you said, you will need a remap.

Have you done an ECU reset? It some times forces the ECU to re-learn a bit quicker. I would disconnect the battery for 5 mins, reconnect then give it a couple of days driving about to adjust.

• Like 1

You have answered your own question. .......

Although I've just noticed it wasn't a question, but a statement :lol:

You have changed the airflow characteristics of your intake and exhaust so the fueling will be all over the place. As you said, you will need a remap.

Have you done an ECU reset? It some times forces the ECU to re-learn a bit quicker. I would disconnect the battery for 5 mins, reconnect then give it a couple of days driving about to adjust.

I didnt disconnect the battery for as long as that. I will try that tonight.

Yeh I know I need a remap for more power, I just didnt expect the power to go down thats all. I thought I would have at least what I had previously but if the fueling is currently off like you say then I guess it makes sense that it would feel sluggish.

I do want a remap but I am currently waiting on an 06 velocity stack from Flyboy before I can. Frustrating..

I think the previous owners of mine add an after market exhaust but didn't do the correct ecu reset, I did this at the weekend and the cars now pulling like a train,def worth a shot :)

Out of interest where would you take it for a remap? Abbey?

I think the previous owners of mine add an after market exhaust but didn't do the correct ecu reset, I did this at the weekend and the cars now pulling like a train,def worth a shot :)

Out of interest where would you take it for a remap? Abbey?

interesting... did you unplug the battery for 5 mins and then do the main pedal dance?

Yeh Abbey is the closest. I wish Flyboy would come back about the velocity stack!

If youre gonna disconnect the battery, press the brake pedal for about 10 sec too, to be sure ;)

Right.. battery disconnected for 10 mins. Pedal dance and still lacking power as before. especially in 3rd 4th 5th and 6th. Torque seems to have halved.

I hope none of the mods have caused this.

Does this also apply to HR models? I've not noticed any lack in power, but would be interesting to see if any of these resets would make any difference?

EDIT: Forgot to add I've got Berk HFC's, Stillen Y-pipe and Cobra res exhaust

Edited by chirag1988

De-catting an/or fitting a different exhaust will often result in a noticeable change in torque, resetting the ECU just needs the battery disconnecting for a second or two, and only the short term fuel and timing trim is reset, it can make a small difference but unlikely it will compensate.

De-catting an/or fitting a different exhaust will often result in a noticeable change in torque, resetting the ECU just needs the battery disconnecting for a second or two, and only the short term fuel and timing trim is reset, it can make a small difference but unlikely it will compensate.

my torque has almost halved. She has become a boring drive... I am going to need a remap ASAP

strange. I have a 2005 DE with the 06 vel stacker, new piper cross dry panel filter, cold air feed, plenum spacer, full cobra system with berks HFCs and I can't say I have noticed any difference what so ever apart from the awesome sound it makes. Not any faster or slower as far as I can tell. certainly not to the point that i'd say it's boring to drive :shrug:

my torque has almost halved. She has become a boring drive... I am going to need a remap ASAP

I think if its that bad you may have an issue somewhere. I would check for vacuum leaks on Intake pipework, plenum and spacer. Also exhaust.

strange. I have a 2005 DE with the 06 vel stacker, new piper cross dry panel filter, cold air feed, plenum spacer, full cobra system with berks HFCs and I can't say I have noticed any difference what so ever apart from the awesome sound it makes. Not any faster or slower as far as I can tell. certainly not to the point that i'd say it's boring to drive :shrug:

Any chance of getting some video of this awesome combo? Im thinking of getting HFC's :dance:

Ok so I did not disconnect the battery first I was actually cleaning the throttle body because of starting when warm issues - I did the full ecu reset and the car suddenly woke up. The exhaust is a brand new toyo sport (previous owner fitted-ish). I am putting 2+2 together so not a proper science :doh: . Power difference is noticeable. Though i think my clutch is either slipping or not returning now so another job to get sorted!

Any chance of getting some video of this awesome combo? Im thinking of getting HFC's :dance:

yeah I could do, if I knew how :blink: Got so much on at the moment but i'll try and find some time to get a vid up, because it does sound :kicking: Edited by Rock_Steady

Let me start by saying I know I need a remap before I will see any gains, but right now my Zed is definitely slower than it was before I fitted the following;

Cobra Y pipe

Berks HFC's

Plenum Spacer

I tried doing the Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning) pedal dance last night.

She still feels the same this morning. Bah..

Ive had similar mods on one of my previous zeds but with a fujitsubo y pipe rated than a cobra item and I felt a lot of difference straight away after ecu reset.

Maybe your cobra y pipe has narrower pipe work compared to the fujitsubo Middle and back box?

It's really strange your finding it a lot worser in torque delivery than original setup.

• 2 months later...

Well... I had my remap at Abbey and she made 302 bhp.

Feels great and she is so responsive all of the time.

Happy

mods;

06 airbox mod

Cobra Y pipe

Berks HFC's

Plenum Spacer