manual VS automatic

polfa

Yes, if you're going to refer to that as the redline then you're correct. Once you join the rest of the normal world in recognising that the redline is the limiter, then we can sit down and have a proper conversation about how cars work.

You could paint a redline at the 4k mark, that would mean your car would be amazing and let you go over three thousand rpm past the redline!!!11

• Like 1

Yes, if you're going to refer to that as the redline then you're correct. Once you join the rest of the normal world in recognising that the redline is the limiter, then we can sit down and have a proper conversation about how cars work.

You could paint a redline at the 4k mark, that would mean your car would be amazing and let you go over three thousand rpm past the redline!!!11

I think you can see what he was getting at though? The default redline for a DE 350 is 6.5k yet he can take his beyond that, people being a bit pedantic on here me feels.

The term red line comes directly from the red line you see at the end of your tachometer - if you're in this band, you are 'red lining'. It refers to the maximum speed in which the engine can operate without causing damage to it's components. Operate within the red line (in standard form) at some implied risk.

A rev limiter is exactly that, a rev limiter.

Some good misinformation going on here.

Edited by ts743

At the end of the day I've posted on here to help out a potential new owner with facts and personal experience, alot of people slate the autos and have never been in one. Then had people jumping down my throat calling me a liar, all I've done is try and help.

• Like 1

At the end of the day I've posted on here to help out a potential new owner with facts and personal experience, alot of people slate the autos and have never been in one. Then had people jumping down my throat calling me a liar, all I've done is try and help.

I wouldn't say calling you a liar, just a difference in opinion of where the red line is :)

Hey, I never said that I was a pro!

I'm just an ordinary guy who likes cars. I've not spent much time on the track and I don't drive on public roads like I think I am on a track.

All my opinions are my own - I do not regard Top Gear as the fountain of truth, I just recall that they all agreed on the fact that the gearbox was a bit pants, which was the best example that I could quote at the time not knowing a lot of other 350Z commentators.

Right, where's that dummy...I know that I spat it out somewhere around here.

Hey, I never said that I was a pro!

I'm just an ordinary guy who likes cars. I've not spent much time on the track and I don't drive on public roads like I think I am on a track.

All my opinions are my own - I do not regard Top Gear as the fountain of truth, I just recall that they all agreed on the fact that the gearbox was a bit pants, which was the best example that I could quote at the time not knowing a lot of other 350Z commentators.

Right, where's that dummy...I know that I spat it out somewhere around here.

Don't mind Aliveboy, he's a cocky idiot. :lol:

• Like 2