Urgent IT?Virus help!?!?!?

Sarnie

My laptop is getting attacked by minging virus' and spyware!! It keeps opening internet explorer pages directing my to spy ware prevent software, it added itself to my favourites list, it changed my wallpaper on my desktop, icon keep flashing in the bottom right hand corner and its slowed my computer right down!!!

HELP!!! What do I do?????

:surrender:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try this to begin with.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/securit ... fault.mspx

Probably just spyware. Annoying but not the end of the world. Assume you have some sort of anti-virus software installed that is set to auto update?

Guy

I have AVG currently but and am currently running a scan but its taking ages as the thingy keeps opening loads of pages.... :rant:

Do you know how to edit your registry?

I don't know how to resize an avatar so registry editing may be beyond me :blush:

I have regcure on my laptop i think is that anything to do with it?

I have downloaded the defender programme and am currently scanning to find the little bastards!!! :angry:

I'll try to keep this as basic as possible :teeth:

Click Start, Run. Type regedit and click ok.

The regedit application will open. On the left of the screen will be 5 "links" listed under "My Computer". Click on each on of these in sequence.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows NT>CurrentVersion>Winlogon

You're only looking for info here so don't worry about stuffing it up.

In the window on the right find where it says shell. Should be 8th from the bottom. What's the data value? (thrid column)

Should be Explorer.exe and nothing else.

What does it say?

:lol: But it is about 8th from the bottom.

How's defender doing?

:lol: Yes your quite right. :blush:

Downloaded defender and am running a full scan. It has been running for 25 mins so far and scanned 8000 files. AVG scan is also still running for the last 1 hr 25 mins also :wacko::headhurt:

Apart from slowing your pc down adware tends to be let in by them.

Once your scans are finished go here and click scan your pc now. You'll probably have to enter a valid email address.

It should remove any virus' (if any) and will tell you about any spyware it finds.

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/ ... ctivescan/?

Cheers mate :thumbs:

Should i wait for both scans to finish before doing this??

Although defender is a Microsoft product it is fairly good.

I've heard good things about the panda scan. It should be fast too. It's the kind of thing you run when you know you've a virus on your pc. Most intelligent virus' will disable any anti-virus software you have installed leaving you up @*!# creek.

:angry:

Waited till nearly 2am but the searches were still going so i left them and went to bed. Got up this morning and the AVG and Defender searches were complete but both said that no threats were found :headhurt:

The panda one is still going and has detected 58 spyware files. To 'disinfect' these files it takes me to a page where i have to pay £8? Is that right? I'm wary about putting my cc details into anything at the moment........... :surrender:

Can one shed any further light pleeeeeese......... :blush:

EDIT: - run these first to clean up your system...

As well as antivirus - you may want to try the following couple of free tools - they are pretty good at removing some of the non-virus bugs that make it onto your PC.

Lavasofts Ad-aware:

http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

Spybot search and destroy (version 1.4 on the following link):

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

They will also probably pick up a few cookies that you can decide if you still need.