fuel cutting on boost

The Chubby Ninja

When I was driving to Dundee in heavy rain on saturday I dropped into third at one point and floored it but around 3.5-4krpm the engine just shut off for a few seconds just like I've had in previous turbo cars when fuel cut kicks in. It was doing it every time the revs get to about 4k. driving normally the car is fine and idles fine. On opening the bonnet the filter was a little wet from the rain so not sure if that has anything to do with it. I personally think it's got a boost leak somewhere but won't know til I get into it tonight. It seems like it's when it starts to produce boost is when it's shutting off. The reason I'm posting on here is to see if anyone has any ideas as to what it might be or if it's a common sensor fault or something. I've tried phoning mark at abbey but he's out of the office today. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sure not just your traction control shuts the power down? Or may be something to do with wet filter?

I have noticed it on mine when it rains...I just though it was traction control killing power...as just like you said - idles etc absolutely fine! Only happened to me when I was pulling away and putting my foot down, during rain... If I put my foot down slowly(during rain again) it goes fine to red line...

• Like 1

Wet filter could do it, if it's soaked then the water will massively reduce the air coming in so you'll have nothing to mix with the fuel, and the engine will sort itself out to stop you running massively lean. Where is the filter on your kit? Any way of protecting it?

Could also be some moisture in the coilpacks. Boost leak would seem to be the least likely reason for it, although you could check the connections anyway.

• Like 1

It's definitely not traction control as it's never worked since I had the steering wheel hub off. It switches esp and tcs off straight away. 8 have a track night on Thursday so just hoping I get it fixed in time

Maybe a bonus you are down on power before you go onto a track. You might see Friday now :lol:

• Like 1

Wet filter could do it, if it's soaked then the water will massively reduce the air coming in so you'll have nothing to mix with the fuel, and the engine will sort itself out to stop you running massively lean. Where is the filter on your kit? Any way of protecting it?

Could also be some moisture in the coilpacks. Boost leak would seem to be the least likely reason for it, although you could check the connections anyway.

Thank's mate. I see what your saying and now that I think about it, usually if there's a boost leak it idles pretty rough and all seems fine.

The filter is the standard vortech bolted directly onto the supercharge. IM planning on making a custom intake behind the bumper and will probably try one of they hydro socks on it.

Il take the car out for a blast tonight in the dry to see if it's still doing it as it hasn't moved since Saturday so should be dried out.

It's definitely not traction control as it's never worked since I had the steering wheel hub off. It switches esp and tcs off straight away. 8 have a track night on Thursday so just hoping I get it fixed in time

Maybe a bonus you are down on power before you go onto a track. You might see Friday now :lol:

Haha your not helping kris. It's bad enough that its my first ever time on track, pushing out around 450hp and no esp or tcs. I'm just praying to the sun god to be dry!

• Like 1

Haha your not helping kris. It's bad enough that its my first ever time on track, pushing out around 450hp and no esp or tcs. I'm just praying to the sun god to be dry!

Want me to come up and show you how to drive it :p;)

Just make sure if you crash you don't do the front end in. Then I will take your supercharger kit off you :lol:

Haha I'd rather give it away to someone than sell it to you! :p

On another note I've fixed the problem! Turned out the main serpentine belt was slack and slipping on the charger so it wasn't producing any boost and running extremely rich. Tightened it up and gave it a fresh batch of oil for good measure. Thank god it wasn't something more serious! Thanks for all your help though guys 😊

I suspect it was a bit of both.

I've had this a few times, usually when on a wet motorway journey with lots of spray around. Exactly as you describe, hit 4 k AFR goes rich and no power.

I always put it down to either a bit of water getting on the maf, or just the restriction of the filter being soaked always clears once dry the next day. Was going to get a water sock but haven't found one to fit my setup yet and also dunno if I could be arsed to fit and remove when it rains with my filter being behind the bumper.

It could be that your belt was slipping do to the restriction caused by the wet filter. It would have made the SC very hard to rotate due to the vacuum caused by the blocked filter.

• Like 1

Yeah I certainly don't think that the rain helped the belt slip any. I went out tonight with the filter dry and was still doing it but not once I tightened it. It still squeals slightly on tick over but im scared to tighten it anymore as the tensioner seems quite stiff so don't want to break it or ruin the threads.

Do you need to keep putting the hydro sock on and off? I thought it was a fit and forget type thing and only change when you are cleaning the filter etc

Haha I'd rather give it away to someone than sell it to you! :p

On another note I've fixed the problem! Turned out the main serpentine belt was slack and slipping on the charger so it wasn't producing any boost and running extremely rich. Tightened it up and gave it a fresh batch of oil for good measure. Thank god it wasn't something more serious! Thanks for all your help though guys 😊

i said this to you on Saturday! I should be a mechanic ;)