Grinding/rubbing noise intermittent on braking

Sarahhp18

I've been having this issue for a little while now. Intermittently when braking slowly & coming to a stop at junctions etc I get a rubbing type noise & you can keep it vibrating through the brake pedal as though ABS kicking in. Only happens when generally coming to a stop slowly so don't know what it is? Anyone have any ideas?

Wheels arnt rubbing cause tried my smaller wheels & undertray is all ok etc.

It sounds disc related, have you checked the inner face of the front discs for corrosion build up.

It is not unusualt to see a build up around 3 mm high which can then rub on the backplate of the pads.

With a near full surround dirt guard on the 350 it can be difficult to look at inside face of disc, just remove the wheel and the caliper to get a good visual.

• Like 1

Are you braking hard enough to activate the rear brakes.

Pulsing in the pedal with no steering wheel shake would usually be associated with the rear brakes under firm braking but your description suggests light braking.

I see you replaced your front discs, was there a corrosion issue on the inner face.

Is the noise/pedal pulse only there when braking.

More light braking but coming to a complete stop at junctions. The front discs were quiet corroded on the inner pad was making a groove in the pads.

Yes noise is only there when braking & coming to a stop at junctions/islands. It's almost a rubbing - boinging noise that pulses through the brake pedal but there is no improvement with replacing the front discs & pads.

Edited by Sarahhp18

When the car was in the garage did they inspect the rear discs on the inside face, in my experience when the front discs are corroded on the inner face the rears are worse.

Does the ABS light flash on the dashboard.

Now that you have replaced the front discs have you tried a few hard stops from 60 down to 20 mph. Try this and see if the pedal jumps more violently.

The car has really low mileage and I am thinking the possibly a sticky rear caliper.

He looked at the discs on the inner but only through the gap inbetween the back guard.

No the ABS light doesn't come on.

I will have a go with the braking but going to work on 30mph roads don't get to push it very often.

How would you know if the rear caliper is sticking? Can't test it on the brake tester because too low really to put on the rollers I think?

Edited by Sarahhp18

He looked at the discs on the inner but only through the gap inbetween the back guard.

No the ABS light doesn't come on.

I will have a go with the braking but going to work on 30mph roads don't get to push it very often.

How would you know if the rear caliper is sticking? Can't test it on the brake tester because too low really to put on the rollers I think?

There is even less room to look at the rear discs without removing the caliper than the front. So I will take that as a no.

Only running on 30mph run is more evidence towards the possibility of a sticky rear caliper, its always good once a week to give the brakes a good press to keep everything moving.

Quickest way to check for a sticky caliper is to jack the rear of the car up, get someone to press the brake pedal and see if you can spin either wheel.

I am still going for corrosion on the inner face, get the caliper off and have a proper inspection.

• 2 months later...

God knows why it broke. Cars only done 32K. Glad it's now sorted as was driving me mad:-) fixed ready to be off the road for winter as tax runs out end of Oct. Will miss my car in the winter :-( back to running the mini.

• 6 months later...

Bit of a thread revivals...got the exact same problem as th OP

When braking hard i.e coming to a stop at the junction, it seems the ABS is trying to kick in. Vibration through the pedal. Spoken to a couple of mechanic friends who have recommended cleaning the ABS sensors. Also ABS ring could be the culprit. Just don't like the noise! Sounds like air in the system!

Job for the weekend!