Anybody use a cover?

wmr1980

I get a little paranoid about my car as I tend to only use it at weekends, so it gets a little neglected during the week as well as getting a bit mucky, but also the kids of the neighbourhood play around the grass near where the car is parked. It's received a few little scratches from the scrotes with their scooters/push bikes - I'm not hugely angry as they're kids and they don't know better, still annoying however.

Still, I'd like to get a cover for it, to try and minimise the potential damage. I already park my wife's car next to it so no one can open their door onto it, but being next to the grassy area it is still exposed to the kids!

Do you think it's worth getting a cover? Is it a pain in the arse to use and remove? Does it attract the wrong type of attention?

IF any of you do use one, do you have a recommendation?

Edited by wmr1980

I have a car cover but I only use it if I go away or I have just washed it and want to keep it clean.

They are good, but I have found it can attract attension. I came back to one side lifted up in an obvious attempt to see what was inside the car. They are a bit of a pain to take on and off especially when its windy!

Also be careful you only put it on when car is clean as it will create swirl marks with the dust/dirt on the bodywork. No biggie as you can polish out but thought I would mention it.

In terms of recommendations, not sure as my wife bought mine for me.

I use a sahara indoor cover to keep the dust of in the garage. Made to measure, Got it from coverzone.

Recomend you can only use them if the car is clean so for you with no garage it might not be worth it.

• Like 1

All as above but I bought one for £40 from Halfords instead of Stormforce - pretty much identical one branded one not (both 4 layer, breathable, materials etc) Stormforce are circa £150. All the VX220 boys used to get them and were ultra OCD because of the paintwork/clam issues on the cars and they all recommended the Halfords ones.

Putting on first time will take ages, by fourth or fifth you will have the technique nailed down!

• Like 2

I keep meaning to post a mini review of the Halfords cover. My car lives in the street; it's not a busy road but the Nismo gets so much attention I started worrying it could attract the wrong sort of attention (e.g drunk idiot late at night with key sort of attention). I also got sick of spending hours cleaning the previous 370s and them being mucky again in half an hour, so I gave the Halfords cover a try when I got the Nismo - Large size fits it well.

I had a debate with my other half, as she reckoned it might increase the attention. In fact, it's been the exact opposite - nobody ever looks twice at it and there's no sign that anyone has ever tried to lift the cover. I also love being able to wash the car, cover it and have it nice and clean next time I want to drive it. As long as you make sure the car is clean before the cover goes on you should have no problem with the paintwork - I've been using it for six months now and have seen no evidence of it marring the paintwork. I had to make a window for the tax disc and resident's permit - bought some clear vinyl off Amazon and sewed it in.

As Coldel says, it doesn't take long to get used to putting it on. The plastic buckles on the Halfords cover are a bit rubbish so I just cut them off and use what's left of the straps to tie around the alloy spokes - works perfectly.

I would always use a cover now, even if we had off street parking - it was £50 well spent, even if you end up replacing them after a year or so.

Cover_zps8fa4bd1c.jpg

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

I keep meaning to post a mini review of the Halfords cover. My car lives in the street; it's not a busy road but the Nismo gets so much attention I started worrying it could attract the wrong sort of attention (e.g drunk idiot late at night with key sort of attention). I also got sick of spending hours cleaning the previous 370s and them being mucky again in half an hour, so I gave the Halfords cover a try when I got the Nismo - Large size fits it well.

I had a debate with my other half, as she reckoned it might increase the attention. In fact, it's been the exact opposite - nobody ever looks twice at it and there's no sign that anyone has ever tried to lift the cover. I also love being able to wash the car, cover it and have it nice and clean next time I want to drive it. As long as you make sure the car is clean before the cover goes on you should have no problem with the paintwork - I've been using it for six months now and have seen no evidence of it marring the paintwork. I had to make a window for the tax disc and resident's permit - bought some clear vinyl off Amazon and sewed it in.

As Coldel says, it doesn't take long to get used to putting it on. The plastic buckles on the Halfords cover are a bit rubbish so I just cut them off and use what's left of the straps to tie around the alloy spokes - works perfectly.

I would always use a cover now, even if we had off street parking - it was £50 well spent, even if you end up replacing them after a year or so.

Cover_zps8fa4bd1c.jpg

Came to recommend this.

I bought one after your advice in another thread and find works brilliantly and is a very good fit too. As others have said, car needs to be spotlessly clean before you cover it so you don't damage the paintwork.

I had mine sat under it for the last 2 weeks as I wasn't using the car and it's still as clean as it was when it went under, no marks on the paintwork.

Thumbs up from me too.

I have a waterproof, double seamed, cotton lined PVC chappie - I think it was about 50 quid a couple of years ago. I find it very useful when doing the 'little engineering project', if its up on axle stands and the battery is off (locked but the windows cracked open) overnight.

Also I used it when left the car in winter for a trip to Oz (watched over by our house/animal sitters of course ;) ) - I put delivery bubble airbags in between the cover and doors then put a strap around the lot - I've heard of problems with wind flapping the covers.. So yes I do occasionally bubble wrap my car :thumbs::lol:

Cover_zps8fa4bd1c.jpg

Came to recommend this.

I bought one after your advice in another thread and find works brilliantly and is a very good fit too. As others have said, car needs to be spotlessly clean before you cover it so you don't damage the paintwork.

I had mine sat under it for the last 2 weeks as I wasn't using the car and it's still as clean as it was when it went under, no marks on the paintwork.

Glad you like it :) I'm not sure how long they're good for but mine seems fine. Even if you end up replacing them every year or so I reckon it's worth it.

They are good, but I have found it can attract attension. I came back to one side lifted up in an obvious attempt to see what was inside the car. They are a bit of a pain to take on and off especially when its windy!

This for me when a bought a cover my MR2 - nicked within a month. :dry:

Cover_zps8fa4bd1c.jpg

Is that on inside out? Had a green Halfords cover on previous cars, found it trapped moisture under it. Which I believe isn't good for paintwork. Used a separate sheet under the cover to kind of soak it up.

Cover_zps8fa4bd1c.jpg

Is that on inside out? Had a green Halfords cover on previous cars, found it trapped moisture under it. Which I believe isn't good for paintwork. Used a separate sheet under the cover to kind of soak it up.

No it's the correct way. It's a breathable 3 layered waterproof one so you won't get any of that.