MX5 - What a Hoot !!!

Dan

Well it's been a long time since I had one and I bought one last week and decided to run it for a couple of weeks.

I absolutely love it. Back to basics, no frills, and so much FUN !!!

I took it down my favourite country road and it's a real giant killer, I overtook everything I came across and just sat there with a manic grin on my face the whole time. And for the car it was totally effortless. It carries so much corner speed it's like driving a Go-Kart !!!

The downside is the power, if anything ever needed more grunt it's this and the chassis would easily handle it. It needs a Turbo bolting on :)

I really really must get myself a VX220 Turbo. The Mazda has convinced me that I would absolutely love one...

Watch this space :thumbs:

The MX-5 we had before the Z was a great deal of fun. As you say, the power could do with being just that bit more in order to make it even better.

Tracy still misses hers, once we move home to something with a couple more garages, I think Ill see if I can treat her to one again.

maz1.jpg

I can only assume you are not very tall Dan.....

We had one of these as a courtesy car while the Elise was being repaired last Xmas, and I had a lot of fun in it too. So nimble and easy to slide around and was very capable on the twisty stuff. The engine was a great improvement over the last one too. A great intro into rear wheel drive roadster fun.

However, the Elise strips it for pace and handling, and the Zed is a different class..... :)

Dan if you get the 220 give me a shout, I'd love to come up and see you trying to get into & out of that :lol:

Had the pleasure of driving one on the track a few years back - what an absolutely awesome machine, so much balance & grip.

I'm exactly six feet tall but I'm quite stocky, and yet I find the MX-5 to be fine. I mean it's snug, but I like it. I don't feel cramped in the car, it's almost Tardis like :)

It looks like it's going to be a tight fit and yet once I'm in I'm perfectly comfortable in it.

I have been a passenger in an Elise a couple of years ago and it was quite a feat to get in and out especially with my mate being fanatical about where I put my feet during the process :blush:

I've wanted a VX220 Turbo for ages, never had one, never even sat in one but I was over 20 stone ( Powerlifter ) until I recently started working on fitness and I'm rapidly heading for 18 stones just now, so if I am ever going to get in one nows the time :thumbs:

I'm exactly six feet tall but I'm quite stocky, and yet I find the MX-5 to be fine. I mean it's snug, but I like it. I don't feel cramped in the car, it's almost Tardis like :)

It looks like it's going to be a tight fit and yet once I'm in I'm perfectly comfortable in it.

I have been a passenger in an Elise a couple of years ago and it was quite a feat to get in and out especially with my mate being fanatical about where I put my feet during the process :blush:

I've wanted a VX220 Turbo for ages, never had one, never even sat in one but I was over 20 stone ( Powerlifter ) until I recently started working on fitness and I'm rapidly heading for 18 stones just now, so if I am ever going to get in one nows the time :thumbs:

I can't stand being in the MX5 for longer than about 30mins as I find the room given to driver and passenger re: legroom too small. The battery is in the passenger footwell and I have wanted to kick through it so many times!! I'm 6'1" so just wondered. I find the Elise has so much more room in it. Yes, it is a pain to get in and out, but once in very comfortable.

Surprised you think a VX220 will be any different mate as the Elise is the same, but for badge snobs...... :p:D

I can't stand being in the MX5 for longer than about 30mins as I find the room given to driver and passenger re: legroom too small. The battery is in the passenger footwell and I have wanted to kick through it so many times!! I'm 6'1" so just wondered. I find the Elise has so much more room in it. Yes, it is a pain to get in and out, but once in very comfortable.

Surprised you think a VX220 will be any different mate as the Elise is the same, but for badge snobs...... :p:D

I think I have shortish legs and long body, so the legroom is ok for me.

It's the VX220 Turbo I'm looking at, so much quicker than the Elise. I possibly would have an Elise if it wasn't for the stupid K series engine popping its gasket every few miles :lol:

It's the VX220 Turbo I'm looking at, so much quicker than the Elise. I possibly would have an Elise if it wasn't for the stupid K series engine popping its gasket every few miles :lol:

Need to be aware of the old wives tales my friend...... The head gasket issue was common when you had 1 ton plus to haul around, you'll find very very few Elise's with popping head gaskets mate. :)

And it also depends which Elise you are referring to..... And the later ones have Toyota VVTi lumps in them. Good fun! ;):thumbs:

just make sure the vx220 you are looking at isnt blue and being sold by a guy called 'Imran' lol :lol:

just make sure the vx220 you are looking at isnt blue and being sold by a guy called 'Imran' lol :lol:

Yeah following on from the other thread, i'd advise you to stay away from VX220 VXR No.16. Unless of course you want a crash damaged car.

Need to be aware of the old wives tales my friend...... The head gasket issue was common when you had 1 ton plus to haul around, you'll find very very few Elise's with popping head gaskets mate. :)

And it also depends which Elise you are referring to..... And the later ones have Toyota VVTi lumps in them. Good fun! ;):thumbs:

Yeah you're right, my comment was slightly tongue in cheek as I've had dozens of HGs done on Rovers but I had heard it was rare on the Elise.

The Toyota lump would be much preferable but it's gotta be a Turbo VX for me, in Yellow...

I've wanted one ever since I read the road test, you know how it is :D

:lol:

Imrans VX was red ;):p

Yeah you're right, my comment was slightly tongue in cheek as I've had dozens of HGs done on Rovers but I had heard it was rare on the Elise.

The Toyota lump would be much preferable but it's gotta be a Turbo VX for me, in Yellow...

I've wanted one ever since I read the road test, you know how it is :D

Of course, go for it mate! :thumbs:

Imrans VX was red ;):p

But as he couldn't sell it, he's probably changed it to blue now as a "disguise". Not that it'll make much difference.