Garage - Dehumidifier or Heating?

leonk

The joy of this forum is that we seem to have experts from all sorts of backgrounds so as per the title has anyone got any actual experience of the pros and cons of each or both in a garage or work situation?

I am concerned about moisture causing a problem with the car.

The garage is a double skin brick/block construction with cavity insulation and tiled roof with 50mm Kingspan between the joists. The sectional double door is insulated as well as the concrete slab.

I can get gas into the garage and fit a separate boiler and maybe three rads or just run a dehumidifier or both.

The advantage of heating is obviously it will be a much warmer environment to work in, but is this on its own going to keep moisture at bay or indeed could I be making it worse?

Heat, every time. Working in the cold sucks balls.

Mate used to have no heating in his, and it was awful. One electric heater later and it's bliss. :)

Heating is winning it for me. I have been using plug in halogen ones but was concerned with heating the air up then cooling down over night, hence the idea of fitting a boiler in there with a thermostat and trvs..This way I get a more constant temperature. I don't like the idea of leaving electric heaters on in there over night. Plus I have just had a horrendous electric bill more in keeping with running a small village.

You pansy!!!!!!!!

I do use a space heater for the really cold days though :blush:

Why not just move the jag into the living room :shrug:

Oi! I can take the cold and damp, it's the car I'm worrying about. I've become bl**dy paranoid about rust. I'd have it climate controlled in there if I could afford it. How do you go on when you are spraying stuff?

And as regards the living room, I'm already in enough trouble for having half the car in the house!

• Like 1

When you heat a room up you wont get rid of any moisture. The relative humidity will drop slightly as the air/water molecules expand.

You just give the air the capacity to hold more water. Warm air will hold more moisture than cold air.

A dehumidifier will physically remove moisture from the air by cooling it to "dew point" when water will fall out as dew or condensation.

The most effective way to dry the air is a dehumidifier. You can see this by the amount of water it dumps out

Hope this helps

• Like 1

This was the bit that was confusing me that by warming it up I am in effect increasing the chance of moisture in the air. So I would probably be better with a good dehumidifier and just use a space heater when I need to raise the temperature for spraying or if it's really cold for working.

• Like 1

do you have any ventilation bricks or otherwise, or is it literally just a sealed box? if its totally sealed, you'll definitely need a dehumidifier. however most garages normally have some kind of ventilation which is adequate to keep the air fresh.

As mentioned above, heating alone won't remove the moisture but will help prevent it condensing. I had an Ebac dehumidifier in my (poorly ventilated) flat a few years ago and it worked great - the amount of water they pull out of the air is incredible and some have a hygrostat/humidistat so they can be set to come on when the relative humidity gets too high.

As a side benefit, compressor-type dehumidifiers also put out heat due to the way they operate; not likely to turn your garage into an oven, but might be enough to raise the temperature a degree or two.

• Like 1

You pansy!!!!!!!!

I do use a space heater for the really cold days though :blush:

Why not just move the jag into the living room :shrug:

Oi! I can take the cold and damp, it's the car I'm worrying about. I've become bl**dy paranoid about rust. I'd have it climate controlled in there if I could afford it. How do you go on when you are spraying stuff?

And as regards the living room, I'm already in enough trouble for having half the car in the house!

:lol:

Yup I'm in trouble as well for to many bits in the house :)

When spraying - for odds and sods I use the space heater to warm the garage but it has to be off when actually spraying. When I did the car I rented some of those infra red heaters, they are awesome and I sweated like a pig doing it!

The body kit and Busters bumper I did in the summer and as the Z Shed is wood it gets hot enough (obviously not as good as a spray oven) but I prep and spray on the same day and all those parts are GRP/Carbon/Plastic.

If you remember way back to my build thread I had the problem that parts I sandblasted were getting surface rust and needing another light clean before paint - all that was kept in an unheated garage so it is an issue.

I feel your pain mate - hope you find a solution :thumbs:

• Like 1