Modified Insurance working oiut cheapest with Esure?

maddog1982

So my policy is up in 2 weeks and I am going to fit a cobra exhaust. So far Esure are a country mile cheaper than two of the traders on here! What is going on? Does anyone else know a mod friendly insurance company? Surely Esure who are like the mod Nazi's cannot work out to be my best option!

Don't just look at the cost, look at the overall policy. What are the opening times? What is the excess? Courtesy car included? Reviews from other customers? Glass cover? How many mods allowed? Any kind? Cost of admin fees? How much NCB do they let you carry over?

• Like 1

Don't just look at the cost, look at the overall policy. What are the opening times? What is the excess? Courtesy car included? Reviews from other customers? Glass cover? How many mods allowed? Any kind? Cost of admin fees? How much NCB do they let you carry over?

Opening times I will check but never had a problem getting through to the, Excess low, courtesy car is included. Mods, from the brief call I had with them on fri it was an additional £45 for the exhaust. Will check what else they can insure but I wont be doing anything else to the car (famous last words?), my hand was forced with the exhaust as its cheaper to go aftermarket. Only the one car and one motorbike so carrying over isnt a prob.

Sorry, maybe I was unclear on the wording of carrying over NCB. You may have 10 years NCB which eSure accept, but then when you come to move on you find they only give you a letter stating you have 6 years NCB. Not uncommon, may not make a lot of difference, but it also could do and could well be frustrating in the future.

They may charge you £45 now to add the exhaust, but what if you decide to change the air filter? Or the brakes? That could be another £45 each go, if they even accept them. You could also find yourself speaking to a call centre monkey when trying to describe things on your car, and that can be very painful.

Of course, they could be perfectly fine and it might well be a bargain, in which case go for it. :)

I noticed on the automated services like moneysupermarket etc eSure coming up cheapest on various cars I put through - thing you can't measure on though is the service you get when you need help. Some insurance agents were cheaper than A Plan I finally went with on my Skyline, because they were really reliable. Amazing with other agents how actually getting hold of someone, or someone reliably ringing me back when they said they would was quite difficult. Amazing how many insurance agents just 'forgot' or 'had something come up' so a clear reflection of how they might be if you do need to make a claim or the like. A Plan were bang on each time and the guy on the phone was uber helpful and not condescending to my questions.

Was more than happy to pay the extra £40 for them for peace of mind.

Edited by coldel

Sorry, maybe I was unclear on the wording of carrying over NCB. You may have 10 years NCB which eSure accept, but then when you come to move on you find they only give you a letter stating you have 6 years NCB. Not uncommon, may not make a lot of difference, but it also could do and could well be frustrating in the future.

They may charge you £45 now to add the exhaust, but what if you decide to change the air filter? Or the brakes? That could be another £45 each go, if they even accept them. You could also find yourself speaking to a call centre monkey when trying to describe things on your car, and that can be very painful.

Of course, they could be perfectly fine and it might well be a bargain, in which case go for it. :)

Ah gotcha now, I have 8 years that have been earned over 8 years, if I leave it will still be 8 years. I've moved insurance companies numerous ties and this has been built up over this time period.

I will phone back and ask again, im running a panel filter, no intention to swap to a open cone. At a push it might get Upreved.

I think you're missing my point still matey. :)

You will still have 8 years, but if the letter of NCB they give you only says 6 years then you can only state six years on your next policy. Your next insurer will only take what that letter states, so it's important to clarify the maximum NCB they will confirm.

When you say you have a panel filter, I assume you mean an OEM one? Not changed to a Cosworth one? And an Uprev could mean a huge change with eSure, as you'll be increasing the power output with an engine remap: Definitely worth checking first.

You will still have 8 years, but if the letter of NCB they give you only says 6 years then you can only state six years on your next policy. Your next insurer will only take what that letter states, so it's important to clarify the maximum NCB they will confirm.

When you say you have a panel filter, I assume you mean an OEM one? Not changed to a Cosworth one? And an Uprev could mean a huge change with eSure, as you'll be increasing the power output with an engine remap: Definitely worth checking first.

I have moved from esure in the past and the letter they sent out was the number I expected, they moved my full no claims to green light and I then moved this plus one year back to esure when I bought my 350z.

Will check with them on the uprev as this is a good point :)

I have moved from esure in the past and the letter they sent out was the number I expected, they moved my full no claims to green light and I then moved this plus one year back to esure when I bought my 350z.

Will check with them on the uprev as this is a good point :)

Nevrr had any problems with esure apart from renewal price, oftern end up moving and going back following year, when I told them I had an after market exhaust fitted because it was cheaper than oem I was advised ( and confirmed in writing) that if it was designed as a replacement to the oem system there was no additional charge but would add an admin charge if done part way through policy.

Just ring around,

Never really found Forum insurers competitive enough compared to the big dogs.

speak to the obvious ones OVER THE PHONE, internet quotes are crap, unless you get a really good quote. Over the phone ends in better deals.

Admiral, Churchil etc. The compare the market and sites like that are crap. You need to speak to each insurance company to get a decent quote.