1st bash at detailing....

Martinjj

Hi there,

just a bit of advice please, im itching to get at making my Night Blue zed all nice and wet/glossy asap..

im not new to detailing but its the first time i have come across a car that is covered in G3 Glasscoat http://www.g-3glasscoat.com/ultimate-protection-package (receipts show it was applied to the car in 2011), i can just about say that the only tlc the paint has had since this G3 Glasscoat was applied is probably a quick rub down with a soapy sponge judging by the amount of swirls on it which look quite bad in this sunny weather.

Do any of you have previous experience with this G3 Glasscoat stuff and if so how have you gone about it, like i say lots of swirling and due to the Glasscoat stuff im tempted to go a bit aggressive on it and then scale down. Kind of a bit wary and undecided on which product to use...

Thanks

As far as I can see, that stuff is just an LSP (last stage product), so it'll protect but will not remove any swirls. To remove the swirls you need a polish, preferably applied by machine, and then you apply your favourite LSP over the top of that.

If you put the G3 Glasscoat straight over the car will no doubt appear nice and glossy, but it won't hide the swirls.

Or are you simply asking how to remove the swirls?

Or are you simply asking how to remove the swirls?

Im ok with the swirl removal, what i was wondering is if anyone else had an experience with this G3 stuff, apparantly its a "Ceramic Liquid Glass" so i'm guessing that it is pretty tough stuff to work on, so im thinking go with an aggressive approach first and then step down to a less aggressive cut, just looking for some pointers thats all...

Wash and wax every week same as I do on my night blue. I used clay bar,paint renovator,paint polish, wax, then high gloss wax. This every six months.

Night blue is the best colour In my opinion and the worst for showing swirls,dinks,and dirt

Good luck.

P.s. Just had my white drivers seat refurbished. Came up like new,perfect colour match. Furniture clinic , Burnopfield.

• Like 1

G3 isn't the best LSP in my opinion.

Get rid of the swirls (you say you're cool with that, so I won't cover it), then apply a good glaze (PB Blackhole gets my vote), and then apply something like Blackfire to get a really good wet look.

I use Natty's blue on my 300zx (Sapphire Blue). It looks great, but doesn't have the full wet look that Blackfire gives.

Just re-read your first post.

The chances of any of that Glasscoat crap being still on the car from when it was applied are zero (unless it was regularly applied by previous owner). It's the same scam that dealerships do by flogging people SuperGuard and the like.

Thanks to all for the input and advice, since I made the thread I contacted a local pro detailer who has been down and had a look and gone over each panel with his paint thickness tester as there is a slight orange peeling in a couple of places ( bonnet and OS rear wing ), he seems to think the bonnet has been resprayed at sometime but the OS rear wing he says hasn't , I have seen his work on a couple of mates cars and I can say it's tip top stuff, the cars booked in for a wet sanding to flatten the orange peel, stone chips are gonna be chipexed before the wet sanding so he can go over them while he is sanding, the sunlight has shown up some horrendous hologramming as well as the swirling so he's gonna give it the works after that, watch this space for some before and after pics in a months time.

He's quoted 2-3 days to get the job done, but once it's done I have a nice base myself which to carry on from