Another Reversing Camera Question?

d95gas

Spent the afternoon taking all the interior plastics out to run in my new Phono cables and some other stuff. At the same time decided to run the wiring in for the Reversing Camera I got from eBay (Hong Kong). The camera is the one that replaces the reversing light holder.

Now these are normally straight forward, but this one has confused the hell out of me due to its wiring.

As it came out of the box, you have:

Jack type connector which you wire in to give power to the unit, so earth and 12V - Straight forward.

Then off the camera, you have the long cable with the Phono at each end to connect camera to the head unit

All seems simple enough......until you look at the long phono cable.

At each end, where the phone plug is, there is also a red thin cable wired in, approx 10" long, that goes into the phono plug.

Got the multimeter out and check for continuity from the red wire to either the negative or positive side of the phono plug, and get nothing.

Do a continuity check from the red cables on each end of the phono......and you get continuity. what the heck its using I don't know, and there is no indication in the wiring diagram for the camera, what these red fly leads are for.

Had anyone else come across this, and have you resolved what they are for?

This is the exact same camera below.....doesn't show you the phono plug side of the lead though:

2.jpg

Is it an earthing wire, I seem to remember having to earth my cam (same as yrs by the look of it)? Actually, cancel that, I wired the electrics in the boot by splitting the red connector, there was only the yellow and red plugs off my cam.

Edited by Floydbax

I installed one of these in my previous car. The red wires are for getting power from the front of your car to the rear. If you have run a separate wire in to power the camera, then these red wires can be ignored.

• Like 1

tested it earlier in the week and all works fine without it, just using the normal Yellow phono and the power cables supplied. I have found, having put back the headunit, that I now need to take it out as there is a separate connector on my Pioneer head unit, that I have to connect for auto reverse sense, otherwise I have to engage the camera manually on the headunit........

Thanks for all your replies

tested it earlier in the week and all works fine without it, just using the normal Yellow phono and the power cables supplied. I have found, having put back the headunit, that I now need to take it out as there is a separate connector on my Pioneer head unit, that I have to connect for auto reverse sense, otherwise I have to engage the camera manually on the headunit........

Thanks for all your replies

Did exactly the same thing myself, PITA, but now it's all good it's one of my favourite mods.

Fitted mine at the weekend. Took power for the DC jack from the reverse light (light green cable) and earth onto Bose amp bracket. The red cable on the phono cable is there so you dont have to run a separate sense cable to your headunit. One end goes onto the reverse wire same as DC jack. And then onto the reverse sense on the head unit end. Hope that makes sense. I can explain better if not :)

Cheers Toothy, thought it would be something like that, assumed it was there for headunits without a sense wire.....just have to take the headunit back out to enable the Pioneer sense unit then all should be well :-)

Thanks