Could this be yet another garage rip off

Dicky

On Wed I noticed the engine seemed to be miss firing on one cylinder. Couldn't get it into my usual stealer so put it into another one who rang me later in the day to ask me to pop along to take a look at what they'd found. The mis fire was associated with cylinder 6 coil pack and they had found one it's securing bolts had been sheared off when the last set of plugs were fitted by my usual stealer ( quick deviation...in 2011 got my usual stealer to fit a set of Iridium plugs I'd bought. They had only done about 15k mls but looked in a terrible condition so will not be fitting them again) anyway who ever did the job had stuck a lump of foam rubber on top of the coil pack and some how managed to clamp it under an associated bracket to keep it in but kept stum about it.

I rang my usual stealer to complain and will be taking it in next week for them to look at it. As it happens a new coil pack costs £110 ( which I will be attempting to get refunded by my usual stealer) so the full job to fit new plugs and one coil pack £340 ish.

The new stealer also quoted me over £600 to drill out the seared bolt.

I know these coil packs have a transistor switching the primary of a small transformer and was wondering if anyone knew if these coils need to have both securing bolts fitted, possible to earth different parts of the internal circuitry ? ? It just seems a bit coincidental that the faulty coil pack is the one with the seared off fixing bolt!

The coil pack needs no earth other than the wiring, the thread that the bolt has sheared is actually a brass insert which TBH should not have caused the sheared

bolt due to corrosion, i would suspect somebody over tightened it, anyway the insert should be able to be removed carefully and another sealed in with epoxy, as the cam covers are made of plastic.

The clamp bodge also sounds suspicious, and could of caused the fault in the first place.

The fault may be a a faulty coil pack or simply because the coil pack is actually loose, however i somehow doubt that as the coil pack is a pretty tight fit in the cam cover, i personally whoud be very suspicious, and take it somewhere else, or even fix yourself if you feel able, just by another coil pack and replace the insert.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

i had a sheared bolt in one of my coil pack from when i purchased my zed, it lasted for about 4 years and not a single bit of trouble it wasn't wedged in or anything just sitting there with the resistance against the plug to hold it in, I had to change the cam cover due to an oil leak at christmas so bolted it back in properly then and its still fine, so it being an earthing fault isn't the case I'm afraid. the cover itself is about £250 including a new gasket and its just plastic so it will be easier and a lot cheaper to replace that than to attempt to drill it out.

Thanks Tricky-Ricky for your input. Unfortunately it's to late as I've instructed the stealer to go ahead and replace the coil pack. You could be right that the bolt has been over tightened and I'm hopping my original stealer will cough up for the bolt replacement ( not sure if they'll go for the new coil pack, but nothing ventured ....

I was hopping I could come up with some link between the coil pack failing and the seared bolt.

By the way your username has given me an idea....how does a Tricky Dicky sound! I don't want to steal your thunder but it does have a certain ring to it ha ha

£600 -00 to drill out the old sheared off bolt.... :scare: :scare: :scare: ..What are they on... :surrender:

That's Stealers for you! By the way the service manager told me they charge different Hourley rates depending on how old the car is. Since mine is 10 yrs old the rate would be £48/hr, newer cars can go up to £65/ hr

They seem to charge what they like. If they have to hang a sign over the coffee machine to say it's broken they put the hrly rate up by £10

• Like 1

Thanks Tricky-Ricky for your input. Unfortunately it's to late as I've instructed the stealer to go ahead and replace the coil pack. You could be right that the bolt has been over tightened and I'm hopping my original stealer will cough up for the bolt replacement ( not sure if they'll go for the new coil pack, but nothing ventured ....

I was hopping I could come up with some link between the coil pack failing and the seared bolt.

By the way your username has given me an idea....how does a Tricky Dicky sound! I don't want to steal your thunder but it does have a certain ring to it ha ha

Shame you not in my neck of the woods, i could have sorted it for you for just the price of a coil pack if that what was needed, the insert should be easy to remove and it would just take a suitably shaped nut epoxied in to complete, but not really necessary as the the coil pack would stay put anyway.

As for user names, i started out on car forums years ago and because the swear filter wouldn't let me use Tricky-Dicky which is actually what i am called (Richard) in reality, i went with Tricky-Ricky which was the nearest option, so i have just stuck with it. ;)

£600 -00 to drill out the old sheared off bolt.... :scare: :scare: :scare: ..What are they on... :surrender:

That's Stealers for you! By the way the service manager told me they charge different Hourley rates depending on how old the car is. Since mine is 10 yrs old the rate would be £48/hr, newer cars can go up to £65/ hr

They seem to charge what they like. If they have to hang a sign over the coffee machine to say it's broken they put the hrly rate up by £10

That's 12,5 hours to drill out the sheared bolt..... :scare: :scare: Give me a break...!!! :thumbdown:

• Like 1

You shouldn't be saying Give me a break more like Give me a Job. ha ha

That's 12,5 hours to drill out the sheared bolt..... :scare: :scare: Give me a break...!!! :thumbdown:

Thanks for the offer young man. Unfortunately being an oldie I've lost all the enthusiasm I used to have when I was younger and just can't get motivated these days unless it's absolutely straight forward. Ho hum, the joys of being an old fart

Shame you not in my neck of the woods, i could have sorted it for you for just the price of a coil pack if that what was needed, the insert should be easy to remove and it would just take a suitably shaped nut epoxied in to complete, but not really necessary as the the coil pack would stay put anyway.

As for user names, i started out on car forums years ago and because the swear filter wouldn't let me use Tricky-Dicky which is actually what i am called (Richard) in reality, i went with Tricky-Ricky which was the nearest option, so i have just stuck with it. ;)

please tell me your only having the coil pack replaced and not actually paying £600 for someone to drill out the sheared bolt that makes me so angry

if you were local i'd drill out the bolt re tap it and give you a spare coil pack i have for free

Shame I did not see this post earlier, as stated previously the sheared coil pack bolt is easily removed. Also the coil pack does not require to be bolted down to function properly, so a replacement coil pack is all you really require, if indeed this is the issue. Pre-owned coil packs are in stock and good to go same next day at £25..00. I feel for you if you have given the go ahead at the price that you previously stated. as it is a £50.00 all in job. Alex. :)

• Like 3

What a rip off... :thumbdown:

I would name and shame that garage.

Slightly off topic..but still a rip off..!!

Reminds me of when our boiler packed up last Jan and we have a maintenance

contract with British Gas, so called them up and along came Sid in his van,

looked at it for 5 minutes or less and proclaimed "YOU NEED A NEW BOILER"

its dangerous and leaking gas so I have to turn it off and seal it..ITS -10 AND JAN.. :cold:

We can fit a new boiler tomorrow for £1,450 - 00 but you need to decide now...!!!

Called my mate whose brother is a heating engineer and asked him to give me a second

opinion, he popped around, and within 15 mins had replace the thermal coupling and fired up

my boiler cost £20 and a pint. I called the British Gas engineer back the next day and told him

I would like to go ahead with the new boiler and could he pop around with the paperwork...!!!

There are not many people I have thrown out of my house ..but he was one of them :thumbs:

please tell me your only having the coil pack replaced and not actually paying £600 for someone to drill out the sheared bolt that makes me so angry

if you were local i'd drill out the bolt re tap it and give you a spare coil pack i have for free

No I'm not paying them £600 of my little friends to drill out the sheared bolt. But I am going to get the dealership who sheared it in the first place to sort it out for free. It was fine when I gave them the new plugs to fit. I'm only paying for a new set of plugs and a coil pack which is expensive enough.

• Like 1

Shame I did not see this post earlier, as stated previously the sheared coil pack bolt is easily removed. Also the coil pack does not require to be bolted down to function properly, so a replacement coil pack is all you really require, if indeed this is the issue. Pre-owned coil packs are in stock and good to go same next day at £25..00. I feel for you if you have given the go ahead at the price that you previously stated. as it is a £50.00 all in job. Alex. :)

Buggar Alex the stealers have won again! It's my own fault for being lazy and not wanting to wait to have it fixed and not doing it myself. Tell the truth I've been buried into the manual all tonight and am kicking myself for not diagnosing the problem myself and fixing it.

Never again, but unfortunately we pay for our mistakes.

I'm off to kick F--k out the dog now!

What a rip off... :thumbdown:

I would name and shame that garage.

Slightly off topic..but still a rip off..!!

Reminds me of when our boiler packed up last Jan and we have a maintenance

contract with British Gas, so called them up and along came Sid in his van,

looked at it for 5 minutes or less and proclaimed "YOU NEED A NEW BOILER"

its dangerous and leaking gas so I have to turn it off and seal it..ITS -10 AND JAN.. :cold:

We can fit a new boiler tomorrow for £1,450 - 00 but you need to decide now...!!!

Called my mate whose brother is a heating engineer and asked him to give me a second

opinion, he popped around, and within 15 mins had replace the thermal coupling and fired up

my boiler cost £20 and a pint. I called the British Gas engineer back the next day and told him

I would like to go ahead with the new boiler and could he pop around with the paperwork...!!!

There are not many people I have thrown out of my house ..but he was one of them :thumbs:

NICE ONE YOUNG MAN!

Robbing bastards, their all around us. So be careful out there cos their out to get us.