Re fuel gauge

N13GEY

Anyone had this issue?

My Distance To Empty fuel display went from 18 mile to ---- in a trice!

The needle on the fuel gauge was on the bottom stop.

I filled up the car and managed to get 53.8 litres into the tank.

The handbook states that the capacity is 80 litres so it would appear that I had 26 odd litres left in the tank!

The possible reasons could be:

The tank isn't 80 litres capacity

The gauge is wrongly calibrated

Or, something else!

I don't want to drive the car not knowing how much fuel is left with the needle on the bottom stop and the DTE reading ----

Help!

Edited by N13GEY

It is a common fault unfortunately.

My fuel gauge doesn't read quite right but once you know that you can just keep an eye on the distance covered and guesstimate. :lol:

Best place to start on fixing this issue is a simple clean, ....but obviously you will need to get at the senders to do this which isn't so simple unfortunately. But doable.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/54763-how-to-fix-the-inaccurate-fuel-gauge-pdf/

I'm just living with mine for now. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Even when I fill the tank right up it never reads full....always just over the 3/4 mark. So I assume it's not particularly accurate at the other end of the scale as well. I thought it's not good practice to let the car get to empty though? I try and keep it above the 1/4 level at all times.

• Like 2

It's normal I'm afraid... And unfortunately there's absolutely no science to working out how 'wrong' it gets. Mine quite happily fluctuates between half full and empty depending on how hard and how far I've driven. Both the meter and the DTE reading!

Basically, unless you want to be sitting there calculating your DTE in your head, in mine I always find that when the light comes on I have about 25 litres in the tank.

it would be nice if there was a permanent fix for this...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...