Brake disc wobble

GT Driver

Need some advice folks...

Replaced my front discs about two months due to a noticeable wobble / vibration under braking...

I ordered new mtec discs... when fitting myself, I inspected each wheel to check that the calipers were not sticking. Both front wheels rotated freely. When the old discs were removed, I gave the hub flange a quick clean. With the news discs fitted the disc warp / wobble was no longer there.

Now within 500 miles of completely normal driving, city and motorway, the wobble / shudder has returned and is even more noticeable than the old discs. Any ideas what is causing this?

(At high speed braking it is a pulse through the pedal and at slow speeds it's like a mild kangaroo / wavy effect when slowing down. Sometimes the pads squeal at very slow speed and I can hear the sound come and go as the discs rotates so it seems like they are warped.

I'm out of ideas as to what's causing it..

Hi Mate,

No, if the hub has any sort of dirt on it etc it can cause the disc to run out. Ultimately it ends up with DTV. The tolerances on the 350z are pretty small.

Do you run spacers? Spacers have been known to cause this issue on some cars also.

Edited by Neilp

No spacers mate - completely standard.

Like I said when I removed the old disc I cleaned around the hub flange - it seemed pretty clean. I'm just wondering if one of the pads are sticking slightly causing heat build up and uneven deposits. It's quite bad now so I want to get to the source of the issue before I get new discs or resurface my existing ones.

What is the likely cause of DTV folks?

It could be one or more of several different issues - having used Tophooker (Marcus) myself as recommended by Mike ^^^ I can't recommend him highly enough to get to the bottom of what is causing the problem. Your experience with the problem coming back after 500 miles was very similar to mine - changed what seemed to be the obvious problem but it wasn't! Hopefully you are not too far from him in Cambridge, but he does also work remotely in the South East.

DTV (disc thickness variation) are the peaks and troughs in the surface of the disc. Usual cause is heavy breaking whilst bedding in new discs and pads causing overheating. The cast structure of the disc needs to go through gentle heat cycles to relax the structure of the disc.

I got that same problem.

Anyone got any good tips on cleaning hub before putting new brakes on?

When I changed mine last time - I just gave it a wipe.... Obviously that wasn't enough lol

I got that same problem.

Anyone got any good tips on cleaning hub before putting new brakes on?

When I changed mine last time - I just gave it a wipe.... Obviously that wasn't enough lol

Me too. Makes it hard to come to a stop smoothly. What with this and a high clutch I feel like a right novice when stopping and pulling away lol brakes squeal too so everyone on the street turns to look :blush:

disk run out - ie brake pad material unevenly transferred onto the disk surface

put up with it until the next disk/pad change or buy/fit a new set of disks and have the current ones skimmed (around £60 incl delivery)