Remote Start

SunGodRA

I know this is really gimicky - But with this weather I love the idea of being able to start my car from a keyfob (whilst still in house/office) so that the climate control kicks in and the interior is ice cold when i get into it - conversely having a really warm car with defrosted windows in the winter would be nice. Has anyone tried or heard of ways to do this? - I also have the added complication that I need to dip the clutch to start, so that would need to be bypassed.

Like I says its an ultra gimicky/poser idea, but practical!

I know this is really gimicky - But with this weather I love the idea of being able to start my car from a keyfob (whilst still in house/office) so that the climate control kicks in and the interior is ice cold when i get into it - conversely having a really warm car with defrosted windows in the winter would be nice. Has anyone tried or heard of ways to do this? - I also have the added complication that I need to dip the clutch to start, so that would need to be bypassed.

I know this is common in the states/canada etc due to bad weather, but I seem to remember that I got told that these items are illegal in the UK, therefore thats why you can't find them?

Something to do with another typically antiquated law perhaps??

As i said, I'm not 100% sure, but might be something to check.

I know this is common in the states/canada etc due to bad weather, but I seem to remember that I got told that these items are illegal in the UK, therefore thats why you can't find them?

Something to do with another typically antiquated law perhaps??

As i said, I'm not 100% sure, but might be something to check.

Its not illegal as my friend has it and its an off the shelf alarm from clifford. Its a bit annoying though as you can start the engine so it warms up. But to unlock the car you have to turn off the engine, then use the key to turn it back on.

As above, it is called Intellistart from Clifford. I'm surprised what your friend has to do Louis. I had it installed on my previous car and to overide it, all I had to do was insert the key in the ignition then turn it fully once as if I was starting the car.

However, I have been to a few places and have enquired about the clutch and nobody I have spoken to so far can see a way around it! :wacko:

As above, it is called Intellistart from Clifford. I'm surprised what your friend has to do Louis. I had it installed on my previous car and to overide it, all I had to do was insert the key in the ignition then turn it fully once as if I was starting the car.

However, I have been to a few places and have enquired about the clutch and nobody I have spoken to so far can see a way around it! :wacko:

My friend has an Import Subaru so god knows really!

Its not illegal as my friend has it and its an off the shelf alarm from clifford. Its a bit annoying though as you can start the engine so it warms up. But to unlock the car you have to turn off the engine, then use the key to turn it back on.

having it fitted does not make it legal. technically it is illegal to use it on the public highways. Something like you are not allowed to start your car without you being in it - can't remember the exact law but there is one

BUT that said I have never heard of anyone convicted for it. As long as you go for a decent one ie the clifford then you should be fine. There are many dodgy ones out there which people fit where its possible to start the car any time resulting in car lurching due to being in gear etc.

I had it on my old car and it is VERY useful in the winter months. Start it 5 minutes before walking to the car and its all nice and warm and windows are defrosted.

having it fitted does not make it legal. technically it is illegal to use it on the public highways. Something like you are not allowed to start your car without you being in it - can't remember the exact law but there is one

Yeah thats similar to what I thought........ i knew there was some weird law.

My mate had this on a corsa 2.0

It was pretty cool and you didn't have to stop the engine to get in. I seem to remember him saying that it is not thatcham approved though ie. If it is fitted with a thatcham cat 1 alarm then it would no longer be a cat 1!

This was a good few years ago and don't know if this still applies so check with the insurance company (or andy could maybe clarify) before fitting. If you can find a way around the clutch dipping! :lol:

He is correct in saying its not thatcham approved. Generally if you were to get it fitted you would get your Cat 1 part of the alarm installed - get the certificate and then add the remote start afterwards, then you would have a certificate you could show to the insurance if they asked (although technically it would not be valid.

AFAIK there are no remote start mechanisms that re thatcham approved.

A couple of years back i left my car running outside a shop while i got my paper when i returned a police man wanted to do me for leaving a car unattended with the engine running which he could do, lucky for me i new his partner and he let me off.

max.

A couple of years back i left my car running outside a shop while i got my paper when i returned a police man wanted to do me for leaving a car unattended with the engine running which he could do, lucky for me i new his partner and he let me off.

max.

:scare: Do that in Liverpool and the police are the last of your worries!

He is correct in saying its not thatcham approved. Generally if you were to get it fitted you would get your Cat 1 part of the alarm installed - get the certificate and then add the remote start afterwards, then you would have a certificate you could show to the insurance if they asked (although technically it would not be valid.

AFAIK there are no remote start mechanisms that re thatcham approved.

This is exactly what I did B)

Have done a bit of research!

Clifford do a product called the Viper 460 XV which is a CAT1 immobilizer and alarm etc etc and there is a remote start addon that DOES bypass the clutch issues with JDM models. I found a company in Canvey Island called www.precisionalarms.co.uk and they fit the whole thing for about £470.00 (alarm on its own id £274.99 fitted) :)