DBA T3's and Ferodo DS2500

Azure350z

I have DBA T3 discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads all round on my 350Z. I was doing some suspension work today and noticed that the inside face of my front discs are quite worn. Worn to the point that I can only just see the groves in the disc. The outside face looks fine.

Just wondering how everyone else is finding the life of his combination? Mine look like the discs are only lasting 18,000 miles which seems quite short to me considering that I have not done any track days and I very rarely push the car as it's my daily driver. Is everyone else finding such a short life from the discs. I've not even needed to change the pads yet as they are only about 1/2 worn.

I run the DBA's I think it's the 4000 with DS2500 pads. I've done probably 30-40k miles on them and the grooves are just about still there, getting to the end of their life though me thinks.

Wow that's good mileage Wasso and the sort of region I was expecting the discs to last for.

If it was a sticking calliper, wouldn't one of the pads wear a lot quicker than the other? The pad wear looks quite even, it's just the discs that aren't

They are the majority of motorway miles to be honest. I just use the accelerator on the motorway ;)

Although I live in the country and 45 minutes are consumed hitting the twisties, so I'm not shy to pull up some tarmac on the corners for braking. I know they're at their end of their life as I've noticed a loss in performance. I've also noticed they like to rust a little more than usual when the rain falls, or after a rainy drive home.

For sure there'd be uneven wear on the disk and pads to showing a sticky. Best thing to do is jack the car up and spin the wheel. You'll know if you have a sticky then.

I replaced the banana arm today and whilst I was doing it I tried to spin the disc to see if I noticed anything. The disc span with a bit of resistance but not much, easily turnable by one hand, as soon as you let go it stopped turning, You could hear the brake pads touching the disc. I have no idea what to look for so I assumed it's how it should be? :surrender:

I do live and work in built up areas and so a lot of stop start driving in traffic but I presumed that the low speed would be kinder to the pad but maybe that are too hard when cold or something?

DS2500's are not known as a hard wearing pad hence why they are so popular for fast road driving even though they are classed as a race pad.

It does sound like you could have a caliper issue if you are only seeing wear on one side, if you are unsure what to look for I would suggest getting a mechanic to have a look and check to see how easily the pistons on the inside go back.

• Like 1

I would recommend that you remove the discs and inspect them on the bench where you can get a proper look at the inside face.

For all you know the slots may just be filled with pad compound and you may find that they are not as badly worn as you think.

At the same time as CMS has said, check all the pistons in the calipers, however I do not think that this will be your issue.

Perhaps a case of "should have went to Spec Savers" :lol:

Alex. :)

• Like 1