Where to mount a Rear Camera?

Chromatic

Hey guys..

I've hardwired in a Mobius Cam behind my rear view mirror for an incredible dashcam..

Example Video of my Dash Cam Footage - Be sure to change quality to 1080p!

*Yes it is tilted here.. but I've since fixed the camera angle :) *

I have thought about having one to cover the rear window.. and tonight in the rain I've decided I need to do it. I was driving home in a strong storm,.. and I was exiting the highway at 75 mph to a turn onto a main road that is 55mph. The turn is about a 40mph turn,.. but in this case this fool behind me for some strange reason started speeding up just as I was getting close to the beginning of the turn.. I had a gut feeling he was going to wreck.. (I get these intuitive feelings sometimes and I trust them..) -- So I put it down in 6th and sped up to separate myself from him while trying to maintain the Zed around the Turn in the wet.. Well I succeeded.. and sure enough right as I got to the Apex of the turn the guy behind me lost control and spun 4-5 times and slammed into the Concrete retaining wall. Had I not sped up he would have spun right into me.. (It's a two lane on the turn). I wish I had that on cam, but it was enough to push me to grab another Mobius (they are only $69) for the rear cam.

I'm just trying to decide where to mount it to get a good view out of the rear hatch/boot window. I don't want to suction cup it on the middle of the hatch window because it will block my view and it's already small enough as is. So I'm thinking somewhere where the headliner meets the rear hatch window up top. I'm just not sure if that will provide a good angle for proper viewing out the rear.

So has anyone put a rear cam in ? If so how did you mount it and where?

This camera is as small and light as they come.. I can fit 4 in my hand for a rough size. So space is not an issue.

If no one has done this,.. ideas would be appreciated.

If you have mounted a cam here,.. your advice, pics, links, etc would be extremely appreciated.

I'll be sure to post up how I did it myself regardless of what replies I get here.

Much appreciated,

Edited by Chromatic

Sounds like you had a lucky escape.

A lot of people here have a rear view, or reversing camera.

The majority are mounted in the rear bumper itself or in the towing eye cover if you don't want drill the bumper. These give quite a good rear view.

There are also cameras available that replace one of the rear numberplate lights for an OEM look, but I'm not sure the angle would be right for a true rear view as most of them point more towards the road for reversing.

There are a few threads on here about it. Rear view cam, or reversing cam in the search should bring them up.

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

I have a cylindrical rear view camera, 28/30mm diameter, mounted in the towing eye cover. Connections are under the spare wheel cover so could easily remove it if I need to fit towing eye.

I have the Nismo rear spoiler so rear view is terrible, so have the camera permanently on display on Alpine DVD head unit.

Sounds like you had a lucky escape.

Yup.. Trust your instincts. ;)

A lot of people here have a rear view, or reversing camera.

The majority are mounted in the rear bumper itself or in the towing eye cover if you don't want drill the bumper. These give quite a good rear view.

There are also cameras available that replace one of the rear numberplate lights for an OEM look, but I'm not sure the angle would be right for a true rear view as most of them point more towards the road for reversing.

There are a few threads on here about it. Rear view cam, or reversing cam in the search should bring them up.

I'll take a look.. thanks. I installed the reverse camera a few months back.. Man this car is going to have 3 permanent cameras in it lol.. I just did some google searches for 350Z Rear Cam and 350Z Rear Dash Cam where to mount... And nothing really cam up useful.. some stuff about a "reverse" Cam.. but that's another matter.

Thanks,

Edited by Chromatic

I have a cylindrical rear view camera, 28/30mm diameter, mounted in the towing eye cover. Connections are under the spare wheel cover so could easily remove it if I need to fit towing eye.

I have the Nismo rear spoiler so rear view is terrible, so have the camera permanently on display on Alpine DVD head unit.

I run stock Spoiler so rear view is as good as it gets.. I suppose unless I removed tint and the spoiler.. Frankly the rear view isn't used much in these cars.. I'm used to it though. My first car was a 300ZX,.. and my previous car was a tiny convertible Solstice so I'm quite used to not seeing behind me. This is more to have footage of what's behind me like my Dashcam, just for the rear.

Your permanent solution on your headunit is not a bad idea for those who need it . I've thought about putting in a toggle switch for my Reverse Cam , but I think it tends to get hot if left on for long periods of time.. and frankly I use my headunit for other things.

That said.. mind linking or posting pics of what your camera shows you?

What about mounting it on the rear strut bar?

I thought about that. I'm all about being as 'unseen' stealth as possible ..within reason. I put in 7 speakers with Sub and Amp and you can't see any of it lol.. But I do have Two iphones and a radar detector in the front hardwired. The Rear strut bar is a possible area.. especially under it .. It just depends on angle. I haven't really eyeballed it very well.. the sharp slope of the rear hatch window really gives very little area to be "centered" or close to it.

Which is why I ask if others have done it.. so I could go from their experience and trial and error. :)

I have one of those cams that replace one of the numberplate bulb holders off eBay

My installation here http://www.350z-uk.c...-camera-fitted/

Ditto, works well ^ :)

I do too .. lol

http://www.350z-uk.c...g/#entry1236282

This is for a *rear* aiming Camera -- Think of this as a Dash Cam, but for your Rear window. Make sense? (On the inside of the car)

Edited by Chromatic

I took a few minutes and looked over the car as I couldn't really find anything applicable to the 350Z with the Mobius,.. and here is what I came up with. See if you think it's a decent plan, and/or have any ideas/changes/thoughts.

I thought it would be quicker to just make a 6-7 min video than try to explain it here as there has already been some confusion. ;)

Thanks,