Clutch Helper Spring... Replacement..??

justin666

so..

I removed mine this eve and it without a doubt transforms the clutch feel!!! So much nicer to drive actually being able to feel what the pressure plate is doing :)

but

Have been reading the US forums and have seen a lot of the guys over there have been replacing the clutch helper springs for something lighter to give a better pedal feel. And it got me thinking, has anyone over this side of the pond actually replaced the spring for a lighter unit?

Been doing a bit of google work this eve and I have to say, its not overly simple when it comes to finding the correct spring!!! If my maths is correct (may not be!) we would need something along the following lines...

Outside Diameter - 25.4 millimetres

Inside Diameter - 19.30400 millimetres

length - 63.5 millimetres

wire - 3.04800 millimetres

Compression rate around 47 - 50lb - 8.230961245 n/mm ish (That would be around 75 to 80% lighter than stock)

So far im only finding companies that would need a large order to be placed rather than a small batch of say around 5 to 10.

so, im gonna do more digging but I guess the question is, if anyone here has done this already, where did the springs come from..???

Cheers

J.

• 2 months later...

Don't know if you're still looking into this or not mate (I know it was a while ago), but I've just replaced mine with this one from the States;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-INFINITI-G37-G37S-G35-NISSAN-370Z-370-Z-6MT-CLUTCH-PEDAL-ASSIST-SPRING-/201111152023?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ed328a597&vxp=mtr

Cost less than £20 delivered and arrived within 7 days of despatch.

First impressions; clutch feels a bit less assisted, less springy (no sh! t, right? :) ) and there's definitely a wee bit more feel at the biting point - to me, any improvement over stock, however small, is worth it. I should've tried it with the spring out for comparison's sake, but it was raining and I was already fed-up lying upside down and half in the car!

• Like 1

Thanks for that :)

I kinda did a lot of research and then got side tracked by summat shiney (probably) and never actually ended up getting a replacement spring sorted!!

However, def still on the to do list so huge thanks for the link mate :)

Cheers

J.

• Like 1

There is the slightest amount of vertical free play. Only noticeable when you use your hand (Not recommended for driving on the road ;) ) Can't tell when driving properly, I was worried about that too but the feel is so much better now, I also dropped the pedal down and inch too from stock.

• Like 1

It's a spring located on an assembly attached to the clutch pedal (see the eBay link above for pictures). Its job is to make the clutch pedal easier to depress - especially in the first couple of inches of travel, which is where the bite-point is - and damp its return; but it masks feel through the pedal. Removing/replacing it is just personal preference, though I'm happy I did.

It's a bit like the silly boot weight really; I'm not sure what kind of noodle-armed choirboys (thank you, The Simpsons) they thought were going to be driving these cars....

Makes it easier to drive for the ladies. It was the first thing I did when I changed from the 50, also lowering it down in-line with the brake made a lot better drive when on it too.

Take it out/replace if you enjoy clutch feel!

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, I honestly didn't know about this.

Clutch feel on the '70 is vague at best, hopefully this will give a more attached 'feel'.

I will be doing this.

370Ad - Did you replace the spring or just take it out completely ?

I took mine out completely. Was going to order one from the US as I was worried about sideways movement which was mentioned on the US forums.

Mines pretty solid so didn't bother. Makes driving in traffic a lot nicer :D

• Like 1

Spring just pops out after taking out top and bottom clip. Very easy.

Pictures on the eBay thread:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-INFINITI-G37-G37S-G35-NISSAN-370Z-370-Z-6MT-CLUTCH-PEDAL-ASSIST-SPRING-/201111152023?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ed328a597&vxp=mtr

Edited by 370Ad

Just removed mine, It now has much more feel although It Is a little stiffer to use,

Yeah that is the idea of the spring. Makes the car easier to drive.

I think you will probably just need to get used to it. Took a few days for me too :)

Edited by 370Ad

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just reviving this as it came up in another thread. I fitted mine today, I also bought - http://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-INFINITI-G37-G37S-G35-NISSAN-370Z-370-Z-6MT-CLUTCH-PEDAL-ASSIST-SPRING-/201111152023?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ed328a597&vxp=mtr

I've noticed a slight improvement but not massive...still early days.

There's some good guides on the other forums, I followed them and it was easy....just a bit awkward as not much space down there!