New to the 350/370 brand, but mild tuning advice?

Peak 370

I have just bought a 2011 370Z, a very nice fully optioned one I got at a great price. My previous 6 sporty cars were all turbocharged and easily tuned but what about the 370Z, can anything worthwhile be gained without spending thousands I will never see again come selling time?

A re-map maybe? If so by who? Who's best?

Air filters? Is it really worth spending £120 for the 2 needed compared to the stock ones?

I hear about Y pipes? What's the deal there and what exhaust mods could I make without big bucks or failing the MOT?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Peak 370

It's always going to be big hands in deep pockets time to tune a NA car.

You're going to be looking at about £2000 for maybe 30hp, after an exhaust, intake and map.

Then go from there really, up, up and up.

If you're figure hunting, get it boosted or maybe get a boosted motor from the start.

Deleting the CAT's will give you EML's and failed MOT's, I can't be bothered with all that now and it seems like an arse ache for the potential power it unlocks.

Maybe if you're running a stage 2/3 tuned NA car but not from the off.

Just my opinion.

Peak,

To answer a couple questions - a V6 engine has two engine blocks and contains 3 cylinders. Each block has an exhaust manifold that then goes into a catalytic converter, then a Y pipe (now joining either side), then mid pipes with resonators (noise resuction and finally into a single back box (silencer).

With an NA engine is all about breathing more effectively.

Best bang for buck is a high flow cat (HFC) which is 200 cell instead of the standard 400 cell cat fitted as standard. This allows air to exit more quickly and gives you more BHP, noise and a little less low end torque. Of course to have decats/test pipes but this will fail an MOT and create a lot of noise.

Next is an exhaust system, where you should look to remove two constrictions - the Y pipe and single rear silencer. By having a dual system everything flows easier. So you want an X or H pipe and two rear silencers so make full dual system.

Panel filters offered from HKS give effectively the same performance as the standard ones but are easily cleanable. The K&N again give about the same and can be cleaned but are oil based and potentially corruot the MAF sensor. Cosworth I'm unsure on.

Lastly a remap taps onto all the unleashed power and ties it all together to get best gains but also with uprev you can get 5 individual maps usually - standard, restricted revs (for others to use), 95 petrol, perfect remap and lively remap (quicker throttle response on the perfect remap).

Hope I answered a couple there and correctly :)

Edited by Cake
  • Like 1

I may be in for some stick for saying this but I don't think I'd go for a remap again. The remap on my previous 370 cost in the region of £400+ and I'm not convinced that the difference I felt in driving the car was worth that outlay. That's not in any way a criticism of the work, which I know was first rate (and done buy a great bunch of guys at Abbey). It just felt like a lot of money for a difference that felt to me very subtle and which I very quickly ceased to notice.

In contrast I found the uprev made a noticeable difference to the power delivery of the car at both low and top end and gave a big boost to fuel economy.

I did have the licence transferred from the 350 so the cost was significantly less than the £400

In contrast I found the uprev made a noticeable difference to the power delivery of the car at both low and top end and gave a big boost to fuel economy.

I did have the licence transferred from the 350 so the cost was significantly less than the £400

Probably me not making best use of it!

I see your in the Peak District,so its RS tuning in Leeds,approved dealers on this site, if you do go for a remap and many of us up this end have, you will get excellent service and their masters of the Z.

Thanks everyone, cake especially. It sounds like I am being tight but I change my cars twice a year and have done since 1974. Some crazy years have seen 10 or so cars in the 12 months! So rarely spend a lot on tuning.

I like this car but I know that i could easily see a Nissan GTR for sale and act on impulse!

• Like 1

Problem with this car is that it's NA, very well built and quite rare in the UK and all means that mods are only available from proper tuning houses and all equates to a great cost.

Performance wise I have dual silencers and HFC's, not really felt a performance gain but I'm not the person who can drive this to feel that, but the car sounds like a real V6 over 3000 revs and makes me smile everytime. That's enough and 330 BHP is enough to Brag about.

I'm the kind of person who has always sold a car between 10 and 12 months for something better. But in the case of the Z I have had for 16 months and no intention of moving on unless I want to add 16,000 for something different not always better.

• Like 1

I cannot afford the likes of a Ferrari 458 or Maclaren but I have owned most of the slightly lesser sports cars and coupes. Porsche 996 turbo, Lancer Evo FQ360, Jaguar XKR, Aston Vantage, BMW M5, Porsche Cayman S, BMW M3, Audi RS4, etc. etc.

But I do enjoy this car a lot. A few car fan friends have criticised it for being a bit heavy and low powered, but it's great value.

2011 370Z with every option, Nismo alloys and brand new tyres for £18,250. Amazing buy imo.