POP Chargers(???) vs. the OEM SET UP ...who wins, you decide

Zzzz...

After reading about the pochargers i was going to add a comment but it would have taken it off topic so im post it separately

Anyway... I have been looking at these forums about popcharger thingies

but I honestly cannot see the point of them...unless it is just for noise and ASW'ing

even with those heat shields they are more of a "warm air intake" than anything else! :wacko:

I know you get a direct airflow from the front, but this is the same as before in the encased box filter.

the cone then sucks air from the around and sides and I think it is more likely to suck air from the engine side... even with the heat shield so the air temperatures are going to be a bit higher...

The big plastic box I think is more likely to prevent warm air into the system and the air come directly from the front, hits the filter and goes through...

SO I think getting a high flow panel filter would be better in this case... and perhaps thermally insulate the box

I imagine noise-wise it is better but performance wise it makes little or worse difference... Has anyone got actual data showing improvements in performance ?

PLease convince me...or sell it to me... ;)

debate please ... if you show me good data (independant data) i might consider investing in one... but the science has to be proven...

basically my stance is that I think the original set up is a good as these popchargers... thingies for performance...

and that OEM with a high flow filter will be better than a pop charger

for performance... (I am not so bothered about the noise...)

Thank you! that's what i thought...

I just hope no one has any ideas that these things help engine performance... and pay money for that purpose..

:thumbs:

Don't get me wrong you can make them work to some advantage but need to fully enclose and direct feed to get the real gains, 350Z ECU cancels any gains anyway so piggyback or stand alone ECU required to get the advantage.

No noticable difference with my JWT popcharger, other than poorer fuel consumption which i think is something to do with me planting my right foot at every opportunity to hear that induction noise :teeth:

Worth every penny IMHO

A lot of Jap tunning houses zeds all use std enclosed boxes with chromed intake tubes. Big open air filters give good gains in turbo cars mainly. Better to increase air flow/re-direct air flow to std air intake. IMO heatsoak may cause marginal power losses with pop chargers.

IMO they suck. Sound great but suck. Most can even reduce performance because they are not taking in clean air as they are not encased. As stated above the Z ecu does adapt and cancels out any potential gains.

Mate of mine has a Skyline 34. It arrived in the country with a charger installed. I got him to source an original air box. Power increase, drive was smoother, oil consumption returned to normal. Happy camper.

They do suck, that's their job..... sorry....

I have one for noise alnoe. I think it sounds cool. Never considered benefits of any mod to be honest. If I want it I'll buy it for whatever reason I decide. I don't get scientific about it. If I did my car would probably be absolutely stock.

I am just thinking on performance side alone...

The nismo exhaust i can imagine allows gas to flow quicker out of the engine... ok which then allows more clean air and fuel in... etc...

so if I was to go the nismo exhaust route, I would want to guarantee the best airflow in... and at the moment I can only say that i think the box with perhaps a better panel filter will be the better set up... then of course the kinetix plenum to increase and distribute better the airflow to all cylinders... it would make the efficiencies better thoughout, but as you all mention, limited performance up due to the ECU setup...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably going to get a BMC CDA. Its a conical (sp?) filter housed in a carbon box. Meant to work really well, used loads on Alfas and VAG cars. Not to mention they make the filters for Ferarri (both road and F1!) - good enough for me then! Not used much in Zeds, but see if I can start a trend :teeth:

CIMG2269_2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...