Looking to buy one tonight, advice needed! 05 soft top with 30k

addisj

Right I went to see the car.

Points made;

The good;

Drives nicely, all gears feel fine even from cold.

Hood is perfect

All P1 and P2 services up until 1.5 years ago / 3k miles

The bad;

Both front tyres dont have much tread left

Front left brake pad is very low

tax runs out this month

Oil looked low when checking the dip stick.

Last bad point.. he had it MOT'd today and it passed. When I saw the car I noticed green coolant dripping under the rad area. i asked him about it and this is what he said;

The Halfords MOT garage said they had it running during the MOT checks and it overheated/coolant bubbled up from the reservoir. Apparently the service guy said 'drive it around for 20 mins or so and it should be fine' and gave no more info.

Wierd... It didn't over heat while i was there out on the test drive or while it was idling. The fan comes on OK, I checked that.

He seems to have taken care of it, all receipts state owner supplied oil - fully synthetic.

Thoughts?

Sounds like the fans are on their way out, we had another Zed customer who said he experienced the same, during the fast idle test it overheated... :)

Interesting.. I might be able to knock some money off. How much are they new from a good fellow such as yourself?

• Like 1

Sounds like the fans are on their way out, we had another Zed customer who said he experienced the same, during the fast idle test it overheated... :)

Interesting.. I might be able to knock some money off. How much are they new from a good fellow such as yourself?

OEM fans are dear, circa £250 each if I recall, we do also offer an aftermarket option from Mishimoto, which is priced at £180.00... :)

• Like 1

thanks for the good advice guys your right.. It will need a service, 2 front tyres, one break pad possibly so thats both front ones that will need doing, new fan possibly, tax.

Oh he said 6 months tax was 180 quid - same as my type r.

Hard to let it go as the mileage is so low. It isnt a GT either..

thanks for the good advice guys your right.. It will need a service, 2 front tyres, one break pad possibly so thats both front ones that will need doing, new fan possibly, tax.

Plenty more out there if you're settling for a silver one. it has missed a P3 and is due it. The fans are on their way out. He let Halfrauds MOT it - which means they'll probably have put it on a rolling road to test the brakes :wacko: How did it pass its MOT if it needs new fronts and one of the pads is so worn you noticed it - only one wearing also indicates something is amiss.

W-A-L-K-A-WA-Y!

• Like 1

Plenty more out there if you're settling for a silver one. it has missed a P3 and is due it. The fans are on their way out. He let Halfrauds MOT it - which means they'll probably have put it on a rolling road to test the brakes :wacko: How did it pass its MOT if it needs new fronts and one of the pads is so worn you noticed it - only one wearing also indicates something is amiss.

W-A-L-K-A-WA-Y!

I would much prefer a black, white, copper or blue one tbh. tin top too. Bah.. looking is so much work! everything I have found is priced too highly!

I suppose at least I have driven one now.

I will just have to wait and keep an eye out.

• Like 1

Having exactly the same problem finding a decently priced sorted car. Prices seem a little inflated at the moment?

Are we allowed to put wanted ads up anywhere? Lol

Im thinking the same. I have searched ALOT of sites and I cant find one that I would consider seeing.

If some of the cars on Trade Link were priced 750 or so less I would be tempted. But even then..

Mine was £154 for 6 months the lower rate of tax, the higher rate is £260 or something like that.

Pete

Mine was £154 for 6 months the lower rate of tax, the higher rate is £260 or something like that.

Pete

Right OK, i will look out for a pre 2006 Z in that case - thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Taxed my 2007 for 6 months.........£275 ouch

Having said that it is ultra low mileage, roadster so great for Summer. All the upgrades of the later cars and I love it to bits!

Think my 2004 zed was £154 pre last budget, so if you factor on the difference in price for the extras you get it's swings and roundabouts, I wouldn't let the higher tax bracket put you off too much just put another £20 a month by to factor it in.