Purchasing a second hand 350z - advice please.

kinch180

Hi all,

Been flicking through some topics but thought I would start my own so you guys can give your opinion on my situation.

I have been looking at 350z's for a while now, even test drove one last week :teeth: , but I have finally got the funds to actually purchase one and I have suddenly realised its not as straight forward as I first thought.

I have £17000 to spend, tops and the 350z of choice would be a GT 2004 as I think any problems from the first 03 batch would have been resolved for the 04 cars.

What I noticed while searching on autotrader/ebay is that the going rate is nearly 18k where as parkers and wisebuyer value them at 16.5k. Am I being too optemistic in hoping I can pick up a good condition 350z GT 04 for 17k (preferably gun metal grey with rays)?

Any tips or advice on where else to look and what to look for or anything else relating would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Kinch180

Best of luck mate. There are a lot out there!. As you will see from other threads, quite a few people looking in your price range and on the face of it there are lots on offer. Give it until tomorrow, seems many of the cars on offer are known, good to get one where you know the history.

B)

And :welcome:

First tip, throw parkers guide away or you will never buy anything. There is a very good reason why it sits on the shelf next to the comics. If they say they can get 04 plate GTs for £16.5k call them and ask them how many they have...

Second tip, look at plenty and if you don't know what you are looking at take someone who does. £17k is a good chunk of money and there are many unscrupulous people out there who are more than happy to relieve you of it.

If you buy privately in this country the law is on the side of the vendor, not the buyer, you are on your own.

You're far safer buying from a well established REPUTABLE dealer, not a back street fly by night or a cowboy trader working from home. Of course he will make a profit, we all want to be paid for what we do, but if he has any sense and values his reputation he will have weeded out all the crap for you and will only stock nice cars so you won't buy a lemon.

I've looked at several 350z's over the past couple of months and bought none. All had accident repairs of varying degrees including an 05 plate Red Roadster with 11k on the clock which had everything re-painted bar the windscreen surround. The car was HPI clear !

Be careful out there :thumbs:

17k might get you one, however 18k is realistic. Just beware what you are looking at UK / import / GT etc. Know the differences before you go!

There are no major issues but know what repairs could have been done on warranty (clicky axle / skipping Bose etc) as an 04 plate may be out of warranty. Just the usual stuff like uneven tyre wear, a little more wear on the inside seems normal but not excessive wear!

A GT car with Rays is very desirable, make sure you want the GT pack as you do pay a premium for it!

On our intranet at work someone at RR Derby is selling a 54 plate and I think its a GM, 36k miles and they are asking £17.5k ono for it, I'm sure the ad said that its just been serviced as well, if you are in that area or interested I could get the info\phone number tomorrow for you, I can't remember if it's a GT model though but I have a feeling it is.

Cheers Mick

Hi mate and welcome, for 17k you might have your work cut out for 04 but it depends on the mileage. The one Sarnie found looks sound and Id check that out, especially by the fact that it has Nismo wheels. The other option which you most certainly will be able top achieve and with low mileage is a jap import, its becoming more and more safer nowadays. Or pm dan and see what he can source for you :thumbs:

A GT car with Rays is very desirable, make sure you want the GT pack as you do pay a premium for it!

Forgot to mention that point, please don't buy one without the GT pack as they are far more difficult to sell. You could really struggle with it mate so well worth the premium in my opinion. And you get the price difference back come re-sale anyway, more or less.