Magnetic Sump Plug

Flex

I've got one in my Zeds sump. I think it's a no brainer tbh for what they cost.

Whichever one you go for Flex it has to have a powerful magnet otherwise it's pretty pointless. Idea is to attract microscopic metal fragments to stop them going round your oil system and causing unnecessary wear to the engine just in case you didn't know. ;)

So I guess the next question is has anyone had particles on their nut? Or is it just an earlier warning system and if you do find some on their its time to trade in? I think you're a right, no brainer for the cost, just wanted to discuss.

So I guess the next question is has anyone had particles on their nut? Or is it just an earlier warning system and if you do find some on their its time to trade in? I think you're a right, no brainer for the cost, just wanted to discuss.

My mate has one on his Subaru and during oil changes you can quite often see a very small amount of metal shavings on his. Looks sort of like iron filings.

Edit: Meant to say nothing to worry about though. His engine was rebuilt awhile ago and he's had it checked over a few times and it's just normal apparently to get a small amount like he does. That's why the magnetic sump plug is a good idea.

Edited by GMballistic
  • Like 1

My mate has one on his Subaru and during oil changes you can quite often see a very small amount of metal shavings on his. Looks sort of like iron filings.

Edit: Meant to say nothing to worry about though. His engine was rebuilt awhile ago and he's had it checked over a few times and it's just normal apparently to get a small amount like he does. That's why the magnetic sump plug is a good idea.

Cool, probably invest in a Tarmac one if they're the best?

Cool, probably invest in a Tarmac one if they're the best?

No idea if they're the best ~ as I said whichever one you get it just needs to have a really powerful magnet to attract the particles.

There are a few choices on Tarmac's website and personally I like the Blox one at £15 as it seems to have a longer magnetic stem; http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/products.aspx?CategoryId=e4175d3d-2d36-4173-8444-07280e6b6c16

Still no idea on magnetic strength of it though. :lol: Maybe best to ask Chris to see what he says. :thumbs:

Do the magnetic sump plugs need a crush washer? If so is it the standard size?

It varies. Some come with their own crush washers, some with none and others with just a normal washer (not a crush washer).

Mine actually came with 5 just normal washers to use. No leaks or anything so must be working. :thumbs:

• Like 1